Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

s197 or 60s mustang?

Search this Thread

Old 12-08-2007, 11:49 AM
hammeron
6th Gear Member

Default RE: s197 or 60s mustang?

it is a tough choice

i've owned 2 '68 stangs, onecoupe
and onefastback

i have to give the edge to the s197
Old 12-08-2007, 01:01 PM
howarmat
s197 Junkie

67 FTMFW...its the original that these cars are based off of.....i would have to move to FL or CA to own one so i could drive it all the time but it would be worth it!
Old 12-08-2007, 01:15 PM
superdavid
4th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: GT Newbie

The s-197 is SO much better, in EVERY SINGLE RESPECT, that it's like comparing a Porsche Turbo with a VW bug!
The s-197 is way better looking, way more comfortable and luxurious, way faster, and gets more than twice the gas mileage!
It also handles way better (way better!), and is way more "solid".
Way better looking????? Easy, killer, looks are subjective. EVERY time I take my '67 coupe anywhere, I get the thumbs up, I have people telling me they like my car, I get people stopping me to ask me what year it is, what motor I have, etc,... Even if you wanna say something dumb like "one car looks better than another", there's no denying that classics draw more attention.
Comfortable? define comfort. I know alottaBikers find their Harley's comfortable. I happen to like roar of a V8 with the windows down, and audio far better thancomes in S197's blasting; no need for AC or electric butt warmers. Seeing as how I'm not a chick, luxury isn't too high on my list of priorities.
Way faster? Really? Let'srun 'em. For the $25k you spend on a new GT, you can build one heck of a muscle car.
They do get better gas mileage, ya got me on that one.
Handles way way better, sure.'And is way more solid'? what? you mean cuz they're heavier???

The S197's are really nice cars. Some of my friends drive them, both GTs and 6ers. But in the end it all comes down to personal preferance. If you prefer to not get your hands dirty and to drop it off at the dealer to have him diagnose why your engine light is on, go for it. If you'd rather spend some times with your hands black fine tuning a carb, thats cool too.
If you wanna say a S197 is easier to drive or handles better or doesn't burn gas, thats your choice. But I'd be really, really careful before saying stuff like they look better or are faster.

Edited for gramar.
Old 12-08-2007, 01:19 PM
Bluestar
5th Gear Member

I hate to keep showing the same photo, but it's the only one I have of my '67 GT-350.........Do I wish I still had it....ABSOLUTELY!!!! One of the best cars ever made. But that's not to say the current Mustang can't compare to it, fact is, with today's technical advances the New Stang has better Performance numbers than the old. I only wish I had these sticky tires back then............
Old 12-08-2007, 01:51 PM
GT Newbie
3rd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: superdavid

ORIGINAL: GT Newbie

The s-197 is SO much better, in EVERY SINGLE RESPECT, that it's like comparing a Porsche Turbo with a VW bug!
The s-197 is way better looking, way more comfortable and luxurious, way faster, and gets more than twice the gas mileage!
It also handles way better (way better!), and is way more "solid".
Way better looking????? Easy, killer, looks are subjective. EVERY time I take my '67 coupe anywhere, I get the thumbs up, I have people telling me they like my car, I get people stopping me to ask me what year it is, what motor I have, etc,... Even if you wanna say something dumb like "one car looks better than another", there's no denying that classics draw more attention.
Comfortable? define comfort. I know alottaBikers find their Harley's comfortable. I happen to like roar of a V8 with the windows down, and audio far better thancomes in S197's blasting; no need for AC or electric butt warmers. Seeing as how I'm not a chick, luxury isn't too high on my list of priorities.
Way faster? Really? Let'srun 'em. For the $25k you spend on a new GT, you can build one heck of a muscle car.
They do get better gas mileage, ya got me on that one.
Handles way way better, sure.'And is way more solid'? what? you mean cuz they're heavier???

The S197's are really nice cars. Some of my friends drive them, both GTs and 6ers. But in the end it all comes down to personal preferance. If you prefer to not get your hands dirty and to drop it off at the dealer to have him diagnose why your engine light is on, go for it. If you'd rather spend some times with your hands black fine tuning a carb, thats cool too.
If you wanna say a S197 is easier to drive or handles better or doesn't burn gas, thats your choice. But I'd be really, really careful before saying stuff like they look better or are faster.

Well, of course I'm just stating my subjective opinion when I say the S-197 is way better lookiing, but that's what I happen to think!
I loved the look of my '67 coupe too, but I like the S-197's looks a lot more (both inside and out!).

If you're talking about the comments of strangers, of course you're going to get many more compliments on your car- if only because it's a valuable classic car, and as such is much rarer than the new model.
Everyone who remembers seeing or owning the old one gets a nostalgia rush when they see one now (in good condition), but I truly believe that's purely because of nostalgia, and not because they all think it's "better looking".

As for "comfort"- in my opinion the interior of the S-197 is light-years ahead of the '67, but of course that too is "subjective". I have no need for electric butt warmers either (decadent, unless you live in some God-forsaken place like North Dakota!), but without my airco blasting in the summer I'd melt, and do not regard that as a "luxury" by any means!

As for way faster: the stock S-197 is actually a lot faster than the '67 Shelby, and it makes no sense to talk about "building a muscle car" because whatever you can do to a '67 you can also do to a S-197.

By "more solid" I mean no annoying "squeaks & rattles" like there were on my '67 (although some people appear to have them on their S-197's too), and even with my stock suspension I can throw her around curves at speeds that would most probably have flipped my '67 into a ditch!

Yes, in the end it does come down to "personal preference", and all I'm saying is that I much prefer the S-197 to my (then brand new) '67 coupe 289.
I could give a rat's **** if you or anyone else on here agrees with me, that just happens to be my preference (and unlike you, I've actually owned both models).
Old 12-08-2007, 02:01 PM
hammeron
6th Gear Member

looking good bluestar

ORIGINAL: Bluestar

I

all i have left of mine, is a picture of a picture

[IMG]local://upfiles/37808/76C33804C5C94882BC59A5E333DE7D58.jpg[/IMG]
Old 12-08-2007, 02:04 PM
BWfVA
4th Gear Member

I would take the s197 simply because of these modern ammenitys. Such as a CD play and a decent stock system. Better air conditioning and a better quiter ride. I love the old cars but they arent daily driver material for today. I know that you wouldnt drive it every day but the way I am looking at it is if you were driving it every day. Also I am looking at the 67 GT500 and the 08 GT 500. Those are the only reasons why I would go for the new one. I love both but I would take the new one on driveablity. Now if I had to have one just to cruise in it would be the 67
Old 12-08-2007, 02:13 PM
S197_GTvert
2nd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: ohnoesaz

If you could have an xbox 360 brand new, or an atari brand new, which one would you take?

Technology has developed for a reason, not by coincedence. No reason to go with old technology, including cars.
[sm=rant.gif]
Old 12-08-2007, 03:34 PM
ohnoesaz
5th Gear Member

As I said earlier, take the new S197, not the old beater.
Old 12-08-2007, 04:04 PM
wmtheflash
3rd Gear Member

Assuming that I couldn't sell either car, then it's the S197, hands down. Here are just a few reasons why I wouldn't want to drive a '67:

-It's slow (can you say 15.6s in the 1/4 mile). You'd get passed by new Miatas. The older Mustang would get pretty bad gas mileage, too.
-Better open your wallet. The '67 not only gets bad mileage, but you'll need lead additive for every tank.
-Unsafe (top of gas tank is bottom of trunk, no ABS, no airbags, etc.)
-Handles Badly
-Mushy, non existant brakes
-Has less room
-Less reliable
-No radial tires!
-Mechanical Gauges (great until the oil pressure gauge leaks all over your interior)
-Awful Interior
-AM Radio

I sold my 1971 Corvette for my Mustang and don't regret it and that car would have eaten a 1967 Mustang alive...it even had independent rear suspension.

Quick Reply: s197 or 60s mustang?