Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Stock Pirellis SUCK in the rain.

Search this Thread

Old 12-09-2007, 11:54 AM
AshTang
1st Gear Member

Default RE: Stock Pirellis SUCK in the rain.

It's possible, but I would think that all the rain that came through yesterday and last night would have washed most residue away...It's amazing how little stick these things have when it's wet.

Who knows, maybe I got a bad batch of compound when they made these tires...
[/quote]

Do you know about tire construction or the rubber compounds that go into tghe treads off your tires?

I would be more inclined to say that the road surface was oily or your tread wear is geeting a little marginal. Water evacuation from the tread is as important or more important thab the "compunds".

Shawn
Old 12-11-2007, 06:23 PM
Sprzout
4th Gear Member

The tires have been slippery on wet pavement since day one. The day after I bought it, a storm moved through San Diego and dumped some rain; the car wanted to slip & slide then.

I attributed it to me still getting used to the feel of the car.

However, a year later, with less than 10k on the tires, and I'm more conscious of the feel of the car's tire spinning point...I doubt that it's tire wear (if it is, then these tires REALLY suck for wear!), so I'm thinking that either the rubber compound (which is harder and has a UTQG rating of 400 AA A, vs. say, a Bridgestone Potenza RE040 with a UTQG rating of 140 A A) in the Pirelli tire is causing the problem, or that the tires are not evacuating water efficiently due to their tread pattern.

At any rate, I don't like the way these tires are performing, and they'll be getting replaced for something with better traction.
Old 12-11-2007, 06:44 PM
sw07gt
4th Gear Member

I agree. The back end came around on me the other day when I was doing a normal take off around a right turn.
Old 12-11-2007, 07:27 PM
poohflingr
2nd Gear Member

It rains quite a bit in San Antonio and I have had no issues with my Pirellis. But I think depending on the weather you see on a monthly and yearly basis, you tires may react differently. I'm no expert but, you go a while without a substantial amount of rain the compound may get used to it. All of a sudden you get rain and "viola" slippage! I think maybe I am more cautious on the road period after all the government evasive driving classes, but I notice that when I have been driving in crappy weather for several days, my tires seem to adapt.
Old 12-11-2007, 07:39 PM
GT Newbie
3rd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: ucdgreek

the p zero neros that came stock on the pony package are great. ive had no issues with them

Me neither! I usually drive my beater when it's raining, but I went out yesterday while it was still dry, and it sudenly started raining on my way back home, and I had no traction problems whatsoever- even when I mashed the go-fast pedal twice to pass (going about 47 both times, so it kicked-down to third gear which pulls beautifully all the way to redline!).
Of course, I took it real easy going around corners- but I do that in any car when it's raining.
Old 12-11-2007, 07:41 PM
Stoenr
5th Gear Member

Compounds? We dont need no stinkin compounds!
Old 12-11-2007, 08:01 PM
AshTang
1st Gear Member

ORIGINAL: poohflingr

But I think depending on the weather you see on a monthly and yearly basis, you tires may react differently. I'm no expert but, you go a while without a substantial amount of rain the compound may get used to it. but I notice that when I have been driving in crappy weather for several days, my tires seem to adapt.
Rain shouldn't / won't have any impact on the rubber compounds in the tire. Temp, yes, this can and perhaps pressure. Proper inflation is a must for tire life and performance. Under-inflated tires will roll sooner, causing a slide.

All of this said, I would say it had more to do with the road and the driver than the tire.

Shawn
Old 12-11-2007, 09:17 PM
TheDutchTexan
4th Gear Member

Generally I don't have any problems, not even in the rain. But there are some parts of the road I just know are slippery. Even when I accelerate over there when it is dry I spin my tires. Thank the maker for LSD...

But sometimes I do spin excessively, it's just what happens when it's slick. Just lift off the gas and ease on... Those are the times I would have loved a EVO [&:]
Old 12-11-2007, 09:50 PM
poohflingr
2nd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: AshTang

ORIGINAL: poohflingr

But I think depending on the weather you see on a monthly and yearly basis, you tires may react differently. I'm no expert but, you go a while without a substantial amount of rain the compound may get used to it. but I notice that when I have been driving in crappy weather for several days, my tires seem to adapt.
Rain shouldn't / won't have any impact on the rubber compounds in the tire. Temp, yes, this can and perhaps pressure. Proper inflation is a must for tire life and performance. Under-inflated tires will roll sooner, causing a slide.

All of this said, I would say it had more to do with the road and the driver than the tire.

Shawn
I was tryin' really hard not to put it on the driver, gimme a break! I know rain ain't gonna effect the compound but I figured I would throw it out there instead of flamin' the guy for not layin' off the gas in the rain. This I can say, I haven't hadan issue in the rain yet. And our weather in San Antonio is just plain stupid. So since it is unavoidable, UNLESS YOU WERE TRAINED ON SOME OBSCURE CLOSED TRACK IN GERMANY DRIVING IN THE RAIN, LIGHTEN UP ON THE GAS!!!!!!!!!!!!! Aint nothin' wrong with the pirellis, well except they are not very nice lookin'.
Old 12-11-2007, 09:59 PM
Stoenr
5th Gear Member

In the 1st 2 days of owning the car I managed to go around a corner, get a little heavy on the gas ansd lost control and went over a 6" median. Luckily the only thing that happened besides feeling like a total *** was it knocked my alignment off.
I learned quickly that this was not a toy! coming from a 4.6l tbird it was a HUGE difference in HP.
It scurred meh! Once is all it takes. I know now my pony like the back of my hand after dry and wet road course events.

Quick Reply: Stock Pirellis SUCK in the rain.