Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Passenger "Air Bag Off" Light on today..

Old 03-13-2005, 12:46 AM
algregory
3rd Gear Member

Default Passenger "Air Bag Off" Light on today..

My wife is 4'10", won't tell me her weight, she has a wee bit extra, but, not bad. I told her maybe we should turn the Air Bag "off" when she is riding because of her small size, we never made a decision on the issue.

Took a friend and his wife for ride today. They have a pretty righteous '71. Spent about $12k in the last year on it. She LOVES it in spite of some little issues. Her Car, Her Baby.

Anyway they were impressed. Took them up in the Santa Cruz Mountains for some corners, and some heavy throttle application. He in front one way, she in front back. She got the heavier share, he groused.

She's tiny. Wears size "1" jeans I've been told. Under 5'. Maybe barely over. She points out "Passenger Airbag Off" light was illuminated. I'm concerned. Thought is was a "button" push it "off" if you had little people in the front seat. It isn't a button I found. So, driving, driving, concerned. We get back to our starting point. She gets out. Turns out, she is so damn tiny that the Air Bag sensed it, and turned itself off.

Gregory
Old 03-13-2005, 01:45 AM
Shifty
2nd Gear Member

Default RE: Passenger "Air Bag Off" Light on today..

Tell her to sit on a dictionary or somthing.
Old 03-13-2005, 01:51 AM
headhuntersps

I had the same situation when my son rode in my car. The passenger seat has a weight sensor in it. I don't know what the exact weight is, but it is a weight issue, not height.
Old 03-13-2005, 08:24 PM
HEMIstang
1st Gear Member

ORIGINAL: headhuntersps

I had the same situation when my son rode in my car. The passenger seat has a weight sensor in it. I don't know what the exact weight is, but it is a weight issue, not height.

My 04 Durango is the same. It senses weight.
Old 03-13-2005, 08:29 PM
dajohu
2nd Gear Member

I was told it was supposed to turn off under 50lbs. Now she may be small but she has to be more than 50lbs! Either that figure is off, she is less than 50 lbs or maybe they are real rough weight sensors that can be way off. It also might depend on how they sit, I mean if a little more weight is on the legs/feet or if the seat is way back and some of the weight is actually resting on the back of the seat it could turn the airbag off.
Old 03-13-2005, 09:14 PM
ajmstang
1st Gear Member

The dealer told me under 75 lbs.
Old 03-13-2005, 09:46 PM
Shifty
2nd Gear Member

You have to sit down in the seat. If you lean forward or do anything to take weight off your butt the car is going to turn the airbag off.
Old 03-13-2005, 10:16 PM
86HOGT
5th Gear Member

Exactly!
Old 03-15-2005, 12:16 AM
Higgie
3rd Gear Member

Yeah its weight sensative. I noticed it off when I sat a computer power supply in the seat for the ride home. My son, 143lb.s was raising up, to see it go off, the light come on.

High tech it is !!
Old 03-15-2005, 10:49 PM
jagbits
2nd Gear Member

Same thing happened to me today! My 8 year old will trade everything she owns to go for a drive with me, I saw the airbag light come on and remembered seeing this post so I am calm again. I hate to take this car back to the dealer to fix something!!! Just another reason to make a donation to this forum. The information is priceless. Plus giving is good.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Passenger "Air Bag Off" Light on today..