Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

experience with Nitto NT 555s

Old 12-10-2007, 10:38 PM
PhattyDre16
2nd Gear Member

Default experience with Nitto NT 555s

Hey guys im gettin some black SVT bullit wheels next year around spring time. Im throwin 275/40/18s on the rear (yes it will fit), and 245/45/18s on the front. Just wondering wat kind of luck you guys have had with your Nitto Nt555s. I will be using them at the strip and I'm wondering how well they hook up. More specifically, how well do they hook up when you dump the clutch at about 3k . I'd love to hear from s197 owners. Thanks.
Old 12-10-2007, 10:50 PM
thewarmachine
5th Gear Member

Default RE: experience with Nitto NT 555s

I had Nittos for a while (until I sold my rims with the tires). I didn't have a problem with them except I didn't like the smooth sidewall. I think a textured sidewall looks better (like the stock Pirellis or some Kumhos). Performance-wise, I didn't notice any difference in them.

I am seriously considering those rims too, but then I wonder if that would be too much black. They will look great on your silver Stang!
Maybe I should wait until they sell the new charcoal colored 2008 Bullitt rims.
Old 12-10-2007, 10:58 PM
acstone7
3rd Gear Member

for the first 5000 miles or so they hook up real well(no burnouts), if i dropped it at 3k with my 555s now i'd be spinning heavily. they are good in the rain, no hydroplaning for me...They are a good tire.
Old 12-10-2007, 11:08 PM
akumaky
2nd Gear Member

i heart my nittos. i was sliding all over, now i go vroom vroom, bye bye
Old 12-11-2007, 12:02 AM
PhattyDre16
2nd Gear Member

Ya Warmachine, those are the exact rims. Ya i think they're gonna look great, seeing as they contrast with the Silver. Not to mention i have tints all around and will soon be getting a black gas door and blacked out taillights (sig pic was taken when completely stock). Got the winter to save money for all that stuff. I think it would look good on your stang. I love blacked out stangs they look great.
Old 12-11-2007, 12:34 AM
Ringo01
2nd Gear Member

I'm about to jump on 275/40/18 nitto nt555s for my stock 18/8.5 rims I hope they work well!!

My buddy just got some 295 nitto nt555s for his lightning with 400 rwhp, and although they don't hook up flooring it from a dig, they work better than his older tires. I've heard many good things about the tires for a DD. Also, they're fairly cheap!
Old 12-11-2007, 12:35 AM
thewarmachine
5th Gear Member

Thanks. I've been looking at them on a black stang on www.tirerack.com but I'd rather see them on a real stang. Only one guy here has them, and he has a grabber orange GT. I think he has stock BFG's, but I'd want to run 255/45/18 all around, so I have to imagine his being a little wider.
Old 12-11-2007, 01:00 AM
thewarmachine
5th Gear Member

The only issues I have with these rims are:

1. I'm not sure how I like the polished lip
2. Sometimes the spokes look as if they don't have much of an outward cant....meaning, they look like they are just straight up flush with the outer lip and center cap. I'd like to see more of an outward tilt of the spokes as they go fron the center cap out. In other words, take a deep dish bullitt but instead of having the 2 inch lip, design the spokes so that they lean outward all the way to the edge. Imagine it like this.....if the metal were really soft, press inward on the centercap (on the above rims) so that it is recessed by about an inch or two, which would cause the spokes to have that nice concave structure sort of like the rims on this car (not that style, but you can see the concave structure of the rim)

...or these...kinda, except the curvature is going the wrong way

I haven't really seen any Mustang rims with this pronounced concave spoke structure, and that's too bad because it is a great look for a muscle car. The new 7-spoke saleen rims almost get it right.
Old 12-11-2007, 09:03 AM
thewarmachine
5th Gear Member

Didn't mean to hijack this thread with my rim ideas.

This guy wants to know about Nittos, so let's help him out. Where are all the Nitto fans?
Old 12-11-2007, 09:23 AM
marcuskeeler
5th Gear Member

I run 555 Nittos. They hook pretty good on the street for normal/spirited driving. Mine tend to spin up pretty easy in first but settle down and bite well through subsequent gear changes.
I get some spin up at speed in third gear on poor surfaces, which is a bit of an eye opener, but that's more about the Whipple than it is tire.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: experience with Nitto NT 555s