Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

how would this look?

Search this Thread

Old 12-13-2007, 06:30 PM
fairlane292
5th Gear Member

Default RE: how would this look?

Seamless is a bigger deal than the basic CDC bolt instruction on of the Agressive. There are no instructions but I have a methodology that works (I have no cracks in any of the seams two years later) I have no idea how a shop would do it but I suspect they would be experimenting and not guarantee anything. Agressive also has an issue with warping inthe middle (can't have it baked that's for certain) If I were you (or if I was doing a second car for myself I would just go Classic; 1% of the work of an Agressive seamless install and paint work required on OE fascia there too.) You have to be an agressive personality to go this route... just kidding. But the Classic gets you nearly the same look and for a daily driver I would be even more inclined to go Classic.

(I did the Agressive because I wanted the challenge of the fab work, you don't likely need that )
Old 12-13-2007, 06:45 PM
Caution
5th Gear Member

I have the CDC Aggressive and Roush Spoiler -- love it!
Old 12-14-2007, 04:03 AM
Stang Skeleton
3rd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: fairlane292

Seamless is a bigger deal than the basic CDC bolt instruction on of the Agressive. There are no instructions but I have a methodology that works (I have no cracks in any of the seams two years later) I have no idea how a shop would do it but I suspect they would be experimenting and not guarantee anything. Agressive also has an issue with warping in the middle (can't have it baked that's for certain) If I were you (or if I was doing a second car for myself I would just go Classic; 1% of the work of an Agressive seamless install and paint work required on OE fascia there too.) You have to be an agressive personality to go this route... just kidding. But the Classic gets you nearly the same look and for a daily driver I would be even more inclined to go Classic.

(I did the Agressive because I wanted the challenge of the fab work, you don't likely need that )
Hey Fairlane292,

Do you have any more pictures of your front with CDC Aggressive now? The entire seamless ideal that you are discussing here seems to be more a matter of individual driving routine. When the CDC Aggressive is installed and painted, the initial install does come out quite seamless so to speak especially if the entire bumper with the CDC is being painted at once, BUT as soon as the bumper is flexed when scraping due to how low the car is, flex tends to deform the material to a certain extent. This deformable body is what allows the bumper to maintain its shape. The less deformable a solid is, the more it is prone to fracture or buckle, the more flexible it is, the more force it can handle withOUT breaking and without going into the mechanics of strength and materials. This is why using any type of filler etc to fill in the seams does not work unless the car is guaranteed not to scrape etc. Also, in your picture, you cant see the bolt/screw locations, did you paint and/or fill them? The warping is an easy fix, but the seams is another story. Let us know the details of how it came it so impeccable
Old 12-14-2007, 04:06 AM
Stang Skeleton
3rd Gear Member

Caution and I are both running the Roush wing and CDC Aggressive set up with some of our touches.

Old 12-14-2007, 04:23 AM
r3velation
4th Gear Member

stang skeleton, that's a sweet pic you got up there ^^ mad props
Old 12-14-2007, 07:27 AM
matt07GT
4th Gear Member

All this talk about seemless...and the CDC aggressive is making me nervous...since I am putting in on in the spring. I know this may be a dumb question but did you guys get it painted before the install...or while it was on the car? The reason I ask is because a buddy of mine just installed a spoiler on a 04 v6 Mustang and he had it painted while it was attached. It did not make much sense to me..what did you guys do?
Old 12-14-2007, 09:38 AM
Juban
1st Gear Member

Definately some things to consider. The one thing I'm not really certain on is what I want to do with the back bumper...any tips on what may look good with the above mentioned parts?
Old 12-14-2007, 10:03 AM
Caution
5th Gear Member

I had my items painted first -- the only thing that I wouldn't recommend painting first is a hood as you need to test fit it first to make sure fitment is good
Old 12-14-2007, 12:34 PM
dieselboy28
1st Gear Member

http://www.ponybuilder.com/home.html

see if this helps your decision....
Old 12-15-2007, 10:32 AM
fairlane292
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: Stang Skeleton

ORIGINAL: fairlane292

Seamless is a bigger deal than the basic CDC bolt instruction on of the Agressive. There are no instructions but I have a methodology that works (I have no cracks in any of the seams two years later) I have no idea how a shop would do it but I suspect they would be experimenting and not guarantee anything. Agressive also has an issue with warping inthe middle (can't have it baked that's for certain) If I were you (or if I was doing a second car for myself I would just go Classic; 1% of the work of an Agressive seamless install and paint work required on OE fascia there too.) You have to be an agressive personality to go this route... just kidding. But the Classic gets you nearly the same look and for a daily driver I would be even more inclined to go Classic.

Hey Fairlane292,

Do you have any more pictures of your front with CDC Aggressive now? The entire seamless ideal that you are discussing here seems to be more a matter of individual driving routine. When the CDC Aggressive is installed and painted, the initial install does come out quite seamless so to speak especially if the entire bumper with the CDC is being painted at once, BUT as soon as the bumper is flexed when scraping due to how low the car is, flex tends to deform the material to a certain extent. This deformable body is what allows the bumper to maintain its shape. The less deformable a solid is, the more it is prone to fracture or buckle, the more flexible it is, the more force it can handle withOUT breaking and without going into the mechanics of strength and materials. This is why using any type of filler etc to fill in the seams does not work unless the car is guaranteed not to scrape etc. Also, in your picture, you cant see the bolt/screw locations, did you paint and/or fill them? The warping is an easy fix, but the seams is another story. Let us know the details of how it came it so impeccable
I don't disagree with you at all. I've had a few slow mph scrapes underneath w/o affect on seams and driving vibration and air (up to 105mph) has had no affect. I do have pics I can post or send of the assembly process if anyone is interested. I'm just a "nut" about seams and want panels, lines etc to not have seams, to me that's kinda "trick". Anyway with all this said I recommend the Classic for a daily driver. I won't get into the warpage issue now, that's a different story and I have a nice solution to that which has been used by a few MF members w/o further issue.

- I had a destroyed rear bumper from my 2000 Mits and used that to exepriment with a few adhesives. Liquid Nails Heavy Duty was hands down the most agressive and best overall; Regular duty is no good and it;s setup time way to fast.

- all joints and contact points wereadhesived, temp smaller head screws put in(CDC stainless [upper] added after paint and CC], and heavily C-clamped along the joints. Let sit for 48 hrs. Didn't want inner side screws to show as the idea was that this was to look like one unit with the OE fascia. Used 3/8" lag withits agressive thread fromthebackside and later ground off the excess with an air cutoff wheel just below the surface.As I recall I used a soldering gun to seal over the slight recess.These two bolt locations seem almost unecessary.

- Since the adhesive had filled all the seams I carefully exacto'd away any excess. Iused a very small/thin amount of Evercoat polyester glazing in some spots to perfect all minor imperfections.Adhesion promoter on the new CDC CS area and then two medium wet coats of epoxy primer. ...wet sandedwith 400. The shop did their or own primer and base and clear, painting the entire OE fascia and CS.

It wil be fine unless/until I slam into something but I can fix or do over as needed. At cruise nights etc I do get mustang guys asking me what body kit nose that is because it looks like a single molded unit. That was what I wanted to achieve. I could have gone Classic but I wanted to do some fab work and challenge myself a bit.

Hope this helps. Nice pick up on the missing inner side screws. I love how CDC in all their pics does not show these. Nice photo shop workguys

[IMG]local://upfiles/24316/358CB047FCA7400DA93CB922C8CCA2D2.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]local://upfiles/24316/E789B763271F440B97A60776310A29E7.jpg[/IMG]