Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Oddities of the day:

Search this Thread

Old 12-14-2007, 12:06 AM
noober
3rd Gear Member

Default Oddities of the day:

On my trip outside the house and away from the forums, I was on the road to and from school, and a couple oddities happened:

I was doing about 20mph in the turn/straight lane and I was following a rather slow car. All of a sudden the car's out of my way and I'm mid way through a yellow light, so I floor it.

I felt my auto tranny on my V6 float through first for a small moment but then I felt it go through ALL 5 gears in a matter of about 2 seconds up till 40 miles per hour. Is it normal to feel the shift change like that so quickly?

I was trying to pump my gas at a Shell station and I put the nozzle in. I put my hand on the trigger and started pumping.

*Click* Ok, trigger releases. I pull on it again.

*Click* Odd... I do it again...

*Click* *Click* *Click*

... Something's not right. I went inside and asked the guy what's going on with my pump and he tells me that it happens on Mustangs only. He told me I'm about the 5th Mustang that day to complain about that pump pumping for about 10 cents worth then releasing.

Is that normal?
Old 12-14-2007, 12:10 AM
MIKE562
2nd Gear Member

Default RE: Oddities of the day:

I have had times where I was at the gas station on empty and it would only let me fill up to a quarter tank. So I guess your not the only one
Old 12-14-2007, 12:12 AM
VictoriaRR
4th Gear Member

When mine does that at the pump it's usually about midway through filling up. Or if I take my finger off the trigger and the gas stops, then I start it again, it starts making like the tank is full. Theres a TSB on this from Ford.

The auto tranny downshifts pretty intensely after a brief pause. If you floor it it'll typically downshift very quickly once it does take off, but it shouldn't be too noticeable. With an aftermarket exhaust you'd probably notice it more. Now does it downshift from 5, 4, 3, 2, 1 I don't know. I'm not sure how far down it goes if you're already driving a relatively consistent speed. Usually in situations like that, if I can I'll just hit the overdrive button to turn O/D off and it's smoother than trying to manipulate the pedel. I think it just puts you down to fourth, though.
Old 12-14-2007, 12:12 AM
Ford_Dude
5th Gear Member

with the pump its mostly the station
and vaporsmake the nozzle "think" its full (I've seen this on other cars too)
turn the nozzle 30degrees and after it starts the fresh gas will knock the vapor down and you can continue normally
Old 12-14-2007, 03:41 AM
Orion_240
6th Gear Member

Most of the stations around here have switched to the new style of nozzle and I have to hold the darn thing at the 12 or 1 o'clock positions!
That will be the way for future collectors of these Mustangs to tell if it has the original gas tank!
Old 12-14-2007, 04:50 AM
Sleeper05
5th Gear Member

It is a problem with part of the fuel tank assembly. There is a a TSB out for this. Take it to your dealer and they will fix it for free.
Old 12-14-2007, 08:16 AM
Mustang_guy17
2nd Gear Member

My old 2004 mustang did the pump thing. And my new 2005 does it to. But I find a sweet spot with the pump and it lets me go all 30$ without cutting off once. And that is called an auto tranny. Mine does the same thing. But trust me the auto in this car is much better then the auto in my 2004. Less lag.
Old 12-16-2007, 01:57 AM
VictoriaRR
4th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: Mustang_guy17

My old 2004 mustang did the pump thing. And my new 2005 does it to. But I find a sweet spot with the pump and it lets me go all 30$ without cutting off once. And that is called an auto tranny. Mine does the same thing. But trust me the auto in this car is much better then the auto in my 2004. Less lag.
"All" $30? Dude how much is gas where you live? It's $2.90 a gallon here and it usually takes me $42 or so to fill up. Maybe you don't fill it sooner than I do.
Old 12-16-2007, 02:02 AM
Burnsy
5th Gear Member

$2.90 you're lucky, its $3.50 here
Old 12-16-2007, 07:22 AM
Nuke
6th Gear Member

Can't say about your tranny. I'm a manual.

The issue with the pump kicking off is common with the Stang's. Use the search feature. There have been numerous threads about it.

Quick Reply: Oddities of the day: