Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

I didnt know a hurst shifter cost 1000 bucks

Search this Thread

Old 12-14-2007, 01:32 PM
exx1976
5th Gear Member

Default RE: I didnt know a hurst shifter cost 1000 buck

ORIGINAL: ratnacage

I think you guys are missing the point. It doesn't matter what the "sticker" says. All that matters is what someone is willing to pay. This one has already been sold although I don't know for how much (probably less than the Buy It Now price). Note the disclaimer which says to allow 6 weeks to build.

I know the person that built this car and called him about the HP figure and apparently that was a misunderstanding on the dealer's part which should be corrected soon. The car is 495 rwhp (10psi, 580 at the crank) and 600 torque at the crank. They've built about a dozen Mustangs like this. Regardless of what you think of the dealer, I can gaurantee you, the car is done right. Fastlane's (Houston) owner has a TT as well that is his daily driver and it's held up for over a year so far. This goes back to making sure the tuning is right - it will hold the power if done correctly.

I used to work in the internet dept at that dealer and have had many Cervini's built for customers (got tired of whiney customers, so I have a normal job now). The Cervini kit is very expensive to have professionally installed and the price listed is not out of line (so I can't say the same for the shifter!).In fact,the place thatI would have do thepaint work did a better job of it thanthe ones done by Cervini.Our cost on a supercharged coupe (not convertible) would generally come out around $50,000 +/-. They were done right, not slapped together - they had all the gauges, upgraded fuel system, intercooler, dyno tuning, etc. This one has a lot more than any of the ones I ever did, not to mention the turbo's which adds about $3500 to the cost (vs SC).

I'm just pointing this out because everyone thinks a dealer should give stuff away at cost or some ridiculously small margin. This stuff costs a lot and there has to be enough profit to make it worth while (my guess is they have about $60k in this one as equiped). You just can't pick the car off the lot and it magically morphs into what you want. Taking a car off the lot and turning it into a beast like this takes a huge amount of time and effort to do right(think project management).
I'm not disputing anything you've said, and no, I don't think they should "give it away".

The point that YOU are missing is that it is a mismatched mutt of an embarassment. Had they actually bought the WHOLE C-series kit, and done that, well then they could perhaps get somewhere in the 60's or 70's for the car. But a Cervini's body kit with a Roush spoiler and then Saleen gauges? WTF? Who dreams THAT **** up? They couldn't even be consistent? Build a C-series, or build a Roush, or build a Saleen. When you're spending THAT much on a car, you'd at least like things frmo the same manufacturer, so that the design flows.. Not all half-assed like that.

THAT car, yes, is an overpriced rip-off. But that's only because it's a mutt. Had they chosen all parts from the same manufacturer, then they would have had something worthy of selling, and instead of the negative comments on here, there may have been "oooh"s and "aaaah"s and "I wish I could afford that"...
Old 12-14-2007, 02:01 PM
ratnacage
3rd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: exx1976

I'm not disputing anything you've said, and no, I don't think they should "give it away".

The point that YOU are missing is that it is a mismatched mutt of an embarassment. Had they actually bought the WHOLE C-series kit, and done that, well then they could perhaps get somewhere in the 60's or 70's for the car. But a Cervini's body kit with a Roush spoiler and then Saleen gauges? WTF? Who dreams THAT **** up? They couldn't even be consistent? Build a C-series, or build a Roush, or build a Saleen. When you're spending THAT much on a car, you'd at least like things frmo the same manufacturer, so that the design flows.. Not all half-assed like that.

THAT car, yes, is an overpriced rip-off. But that's only because it's a mutt. Had they chosen all parts from the same manufacturer, then they would have had something worthy of selling, and instead of the negative comments on here, there may have been "oooh"s and "aaaah"s and "I wish I could afford that"...
It's a mutt because that's the way the customer ordered it (they'd never build one before someone paid for it - too much risk). While I agree it's a mutt, since when is it a requirement to stay with one manufacturer? I personally prefer the Roush wing to Cervini's ducktail. I have aRoush wing on my car, but it sure is no Roush. Not sure what to say about the gauges - I agree it looks out of place since it's not a "Saleen" Mustang, but hey, the customer gets what the customer wants.
Old 12-14-2007, 02:13 PM
DarkFireGT
4th Gear Member

How is the Cervini's kit very expensive to paint and install? The kit costs around $3800 (dont remember exactly) and I paid $2500 to have it painted and installed with custom stripes with a bit of pearl in them. That'sabout 1/3 of what they're charging. $15k for the kit, paint, and install IS out of line.
Old 12-14-2007, 02:17 PM
WPsharpshooter
3rd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: ratnacage

ORIGINAL: exx1976

It's a mutt because that's the way the customer ordered it (they'd never build one before someone paid for it - too much risk). While I agree it's a mutt, since when is it a requirement to stay with one manufacturer? I personally prefer the Roush wing to Cervini's ducktail. I have aRoush wing on my car, but it sure is no Roush. Not sure what to say about the gauges - I agree it looks out of place since it's not a "Saleen" Mustang, but hey, the customer gets what the customer wants.

You say they would never build a car like that unless they had a customer order it that way and it would have already been paid for......Then why is it onan ebay auction
Old 12-14-2007, 02:21 PM
ohnoesaz
5th Gear Member

Cool color but that color just killed it completely
Old 12-14-2007, 02:41 PM
ratnacage
3rd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: WPsharpshooter

You say they would never build a car like that unless they had a customer order it that way and it would have already been paid for......Then why is it onan ebay auction
You would never pre-build something like that because everyone wants something different. This gives an ideaof what one costs and what it winds up looking like (no way I would spend that kind of money without proof of capability). The buyer can then choose the specifics (like maybe delete the Saleen gauges, different color, coupe vs convertible, etc).
Old 12-14-2007, 03:03 PM
ratnacage
3rd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: DarkFireGT

How is the Cervini's kit very expensive to paint and install? The kit costs around $3800 (dont remember exactly) and I paid $2500 to have it painted and installed with custom stripes with a bit of pearl in them. That'sabout 1/3 of what they're charging. $15k for the kit, paint, and install IS out of line.
The kit w/wheels and tires from Cervinis web site: $7870 - so even with your install cost you're at $10,370

That's great that you found someone to do everything for $2500, but that's not realistic as an everyday cost (keep in mind a dealer has to pay a shop to do all this, and they also have a margin (I would neverever have trusted our body shop to doa Cervini,by the way)). Generally stripes alone are at least $1500 (front to back, clear coated, wet sanded, etc), then there's the labor and paint foreverything else - especially the exhaust which is a PIA. The Cervini kit has to be specially prepped; cleaned, epoxy based primer, then paint - if it isn't done this way, the first time it gets bumped the paint will start cracking andpeeling (I've read plenty of stories on this forum where this is happening or has happened). By prepping it properly, the paint will flex with the parts without coming off or cracking. This takes time and that equates to money.

Also, I just was reviewing the list, and it looks like they really did a poor job of itemizing.Everything listed under "Mamba" and before the itemization, has no price associated, so obviously they had to include those costs in the Cervini kit and who knows what else. This goes back to my original point, that it doesn't matter what prices are listed because when was the last time you paid sticker for a car (GT500 excepted)?

Like all other list prices, this is a starting point for from the dealer's perspective from which he can negotiate down.
Old 12-14-2007, 03:08 PM
ratnacage
3rd Gear Member

I also just noticed they listed long tube headers which are incompatible with twin turbo. ...that never would've happened if I was still there [&:]