Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

UPDATE 07 Steering Wheel Vibration

Search this Thread

Old 12-15-2007, 08:24 PM
Steedafan

Default UPDATE 07 Steering Wheel Vibration

Original :
Please please help with this issue. I have an 07 Mustang when I first bought it there was a large scratch in the steering wheel. Ford replaced it and cannot recall if there was vibration. Shortly following this, I purchased 18in AR razors on it and noticed that after I reach 60+mph the wheel starts to vibrate really bad. Each of the wheels have been rebalanced, and to no luck this did not fix the problem. After this, I ordered centering rings and this too did not do anything. I am at my whits end and wondering if maybe it is a steering wheel linkage problem or an individual wheel. Please if there anyone has any ideas voice them. Thanks!!

Update:
After several posts, the majority claimed that I need to remove the retention clips. Therefore, I took off the wheels and found to my surprise that there were NO retention clips on the hubs? So, I can now rule this out as a possible cause. While at the tire shop I had the guy move the front tires to the rear to see if that would make a difference and this to did not change the problem. Tire shop tech claims that the last option he has is to place each tire on a machine and see if one if defective/warped? I am still curious if maybe this could be a result from the original steering wheel replacement. Is it possible that the steering wheel replaced is defective and causing the vibration? Any thoughts?

Old 12-15-2007, 09:14 PM
cavediver
3rd Gear Member

Default RE: UPDATE 07 Steering Wheel Vibration

I assume that the steering wheel feels tight and there is no looseness when you try and move it without the engine running? If so I don't believe that replacing the steering wheel caused the vibration you are feeling. I would suspect one of the following:

1. One or more of your new wheels is defective

2. One or more of the new tires is defective

3. When they raised your Mustang to replace the wheels and tires they bent one or possibly both lower control arms or another part of the suspension by placing the lifting pads in the wrong place.

Since you didn't notice a change when they moved the tires front to back I would lean towards #3 being the problem.
Old 12-15-2007, 09:48 PM
thewarmachine
5th Gear Member

Sorry the problem wasn't the clips. That would have been an easy fix. Personally, I don't see how a new steering wheel could cause the vibration. Got to be a tire problem then.
Old 12-15-2007, 09:52 PM
Steedafan

Ya, I am really getting frustrated! This has been going on for like a month now. I am hoping that if this guy puts the wheels on this machine he will find one defective but, they are American Racing and he claims he has never seen a bad one. Next stop with be ford and you know how that goes. They just look at and tell you they cannot duplicate the problem.
Old 12-15-2007, 09:52 PM
whtcanbrwnd04u
5th Gear Member

Ill say it again.. its probably your bands.
Old 12-15-2007, 09:56 PM
Steedafan

Can you expound on that with the bands?
Old 12-16-2007, 02:22 AM
Dutcherman
1st Gear Member

An easy check is to reinstall your stock wheels and tires, and see if the vibration is still there. No vibration = Razors, Vibration = suspension or steering rack. Just replacing the steering wheel would not create a vibration issue unless of course the tech forgot to fully tighten the bolt. What your tire tech is talking about is to check for an out-of-round wheel or high road-force at the wheels. High road-force is caused by a 'heavy' spot usually where the rubber in the tire is more dense. This can sometimes be fixed just by rotating the tire on the rim to move the heavy spot (also called force-matching).
Old 12-16-2007, 05:52 AM
chronism
2nd Gear Member

I had this exact same issue when I installed the AR Razors on my '07 Stang this summer. I had mine re-balanced several times before finding out they didn't install the centering rings. Installed those and it helped a little, but there was still some vibration though it got better. Then discovered and removed the retaining rings on the front rotors and that helped a lot, but there was still a slight wobble at certain speeds. I finally removed the wheels one more time and re-mounted them making sure that they were good and cenetered on the hub by slightly rocking the wheel as I initially installed and tightened the lugs, allowing them to seat in the center of each wheel lug hole, and then evenly tightening them in a cross pattern a small amount at a time. This made the remaining wobble go away.

Hope that made sense. This may not help but I thought I would throw it out there since I came across this thread and it sounded exactly like what I experienced. Most of those tire places just slap the wheel on and tighten the lugs down with an air wrench, not caring about evenly tightening them or making sure the wheel is concentrate on the hub.

Good luck and I hope you resolve the issue, I know how frustrating it can be.
Old 12-17-2007, 10:30 AM
Steedafan

So I guess what I am thinking now, is after the tire tech finds out if one of the rims is bent or defective then go from then there. I still think that I am going to have them remount and balance and hopefully that will help. Also anyone now if there is a difference between regular mounting and balancing or hunter road force? I guess, I do not know the difference if any.