Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

I need some Mustang advice...

Search this Thread

Old 12-15-2007, 11:52 PM
Qusus
2nd Gear Member

Default I need some Mustang advice...

Hey guys, I'm thinking about getting a slightly used 06 GT with an auto for my everyday driver. (Sorry dudes, I can't do a manual for my everyday driver, there's just too much traffic around here and the chances of me getting into a road rage incident is like 500% higher if I'm in driving stick. Ha...)

Anyways, I love everything about the new GT's but I've never had a V8 before and I've heard they're quite expensive to service. So I was just wondering if the routine servicing for this car past the warranty period is a lot more expensive than other cars in this price range or compared to other cars you've owned? What are your experiences with this? Is there a really expensive service at say, 15,000 or 20,000 or 30,000 miles etc? I'm not very mechanically inclined at all, I only do my own oil/filter changes and everything else, timing belts etc, I take to a shop.

Lastly, I heard that the 07 GT's have extra welds on the chassis over the 06's because there were some problems there? Is that true? Are the 07's more reliable than the 06 GTs? Overall, are Mustangs pretty reliable? I'm pretty young and trying to make it without any help from the parents, so anything going bogus on my car would be a pretty big blow to my already low funds.

But I realize reliablity is a hit or miss thing with cars so I was more concerned about the routine maintenance costs.

Thanks a lot guys. Appreciate it.

Old 12-15-2007, 11:56 PM
rford426
4th Gear Member

Default RE: I need some Mustang advice...

Im 17 with a 05 gt and haven't had any problems. I love it. Ive had it for about 2 weeks so its been reliable for the 2 weeks ive had the car
Old 12-16-2007, 01:31 AM
Cobrakev
3rd Gear Member

The only thing that you might have to service is the auto transmission. There is no drain plug for it. I think they charge $150 to do this service. Later you will have to change the Diff lube. This can be done by you.
Old 12-16-2007, 01:58 AM
Burnsy
5th Gear Member

reliable, fun, not expensive to maintain as long as you dont cause a problem ie doing brakestands everyday, or otherwise abusing it. You'll be fine, just make sure you get a quality used car in the first place, if you can, get a mechanic you know to look at it before you buy it
Old 12-16-2007, 07:25 AM
Nuke
6th Gear Member

It's not the service that'll get you, it's the modding. There's even financing for mods here on the forum. Just sign your soul away on the dotted line...

Spare cash will be a thing of the past. But ask most forum members if it's worth it and they'll tell you ABSOLUTELY!
Old 12-16-2007, 08:20 AM
Mach GT

ORIGINAL: Nuke

It's not the service that'll get you, it's the modding. There's even financing for mods here on the forum. Just sign your soul away on the dotted line...

Spare cash will be a thing of the past. But ask most forum members if it's worth it and they'll tell you ABSOLUTELY!
Agreed. The Mod addiction is an expensive monkey on your back...but well worth it1
Old 12-16-2007, 08:41 AM
wingman75
5th Gear Member

These Mustangs are very reliable and they seem to take a lot of abuse. Imports cost way more to maintain.
Old 12-16-2007, 09:25 AM
matt07GT
4th Gear Member

I do not remember the last time that I had extra money from a pay check. I get a set amount every two weeks...and than every two weeks I am getting something new. Who needs a saving account...
Old 12-16-2007, 09:58 AM
xtremesaleen
2nd Gear Member

the only expense ive had other than mods is oil changes.. i dont really see how it would be any different than a v6....
Old 12-16-2007, 10:21 AM
Skycam4
1st Gear Member

I'm not a V6 fan at all but have to say if it's to drive back and forth to work it can be a nive looking car and reliable. There's a local guy here with a blown V6 with over 20,000 miles on it and no problems.

My personal opinion would be the GT. If you decide to sell the car it will hold it's value better and still a great everyday driver.

The auto to me would be a plus for marketing the car to down the road. We most all want sticks but a lot of new guys want the auto.

I think either way you will be happy.

John

Quick Reply: I need some Mustang advice...