Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

mustangmugshots=PICS PICS PICS

Search this Thread

Old 12-17-2007, 06:59 AM
bgoose99
1st Gear Member

Default RE: mustangmugshots=PICS PICS PICS

Good stuff!
Old 12-17-2007, 07:19 AM
Cubs17
3rd Gear Member

pics look really good. nice job
Old 12-17-2007, 07:55 AM
marcuskeeler
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: pignprogress

Shot some new pics of my car last night. Mustangmugshots.com is just a lil idea I have to promote some of the pics of my car and pics of some other peoples cars onceI begin to shoot them.I have been printing out my favs and basically have a shrine of my car in my room now[8D].I just added the fog light tint basically to see what it looked like so its only a rough draft of the tint, I have to do a proper one with out all the bubbles. yes I know I need rims, and springs and the list goes on. Just wanted you guys to see the mustang through my eyes. Hope you enjoy. Some of the pics are the same but just in black and white. The Gt 500is NOT my car it is Justin's from vmptuning.com

All pics were taken at about 1 am, I like to shoot at night its more relaxing and the sky line turns out crazy as you can see. yes you get more noise(grainy look in the pics) but my aim in my pics isnt to just have them clear Its more to have them look almost not real more of a imagination or painting style if ya get my point.......

current mods= c&l racer, udp, cmcv, 93 vmp xcal2, o/r-h , mac axle backs, roush spoiler, avs headlight covers,5%conerners, 5% foglight 5%all around. 35% winshield tint.

Mods in my closet= mac longtubes, 4:10(ford), roush springs,bmr lca,bmr bracket, internal antena, hood pins.

Mods on the horizan=mgw,gt-s2 hood, 20's ,zex(untill I can afford a s/c)

Nice ideas.
Please accept the following as constructive assistance......

You mention grain as being unavoidable (even desired) but it can be reduced a lot. Graininess is not an affliction your imageswant. While it might be at a visuallyacceptable level at small sizes, like these,blowing them up? - not going to happen.
What camera and in what mode are you taking these pics? it seems that you're taking them in a semi auto mode and simply playing with broad levels to achieve effects in Post Processing. This is why the car itself is often darker than the 'mood' requires.
If you're shooting in an auto or semi auto mode, youneed to be wary of the selected metering points, if the camera even allows you to alter them.
For best results though, you NEED to be taking these types of shots in full manual and making the best efforts to grab the desired shots using the camera to minimize the the amount of requiredpost processing.

See, when you're trying to balance highly contrasting light levels, the tough part is always going to be to get the dark points looking good. usually, by the time you've manipulated the dark section to a point where you think it'slooking good, the brighter points are washed out and grainy, as in the shot above, which obviously is the same shot after two stabs at processing it. Therefore you tend to make a compromise which ends up as simply that.

There are a number of ways of getting these types of shots and I don't want to regurgitate something you can easily get using google, but if this were me, I'd try the following.
Use a tripod and a long exposure with a small aperture, perhaps up to f18 and a low ISO. To accent the car, use a flash. The flash will illuminate the car and the long exposure will draw the background out.

The other thing is that youdon't have to take pics like this at 1am to get the light moody. Instead of taking a dark under exposed image and lightening it, do it in the daytime and use processing to darken the images, it's easier.

HDR, as previously mentioned is another, and very often the easiest way of achieving this, especiallywith [but not exclusively with] a limited function digital camera.

I hope you take these comments as they are offered, in a helpful way. You have a good eye for a shot, just need a little more technique.

Cheers
Marcus
Old 12-17-2007, 08:15 AM
S197steve
4th Gear Member

HDR? High def res? If so yeah Ill take some pics sooner or later during da or proper lighting. MY cam isnt the greastest its 9. mega pixels so at the proper settings and lighting it puts out a pretty decent image.
I like the location and I think you have an eye...

Megapixels doesn't hold near as much importance as so many people think. It comes down to the quality of glass you're using and the settings (know your photographic triangle!) that truly makes a quality image. A 9 megapixel camera will take amazing photos in the right hands...

BTW, what setup are you using? I'm a Canon guy XTi and 5D...

EDIT: The higher the ISO you use, the more graininess you'll get in your pictures... like it was mentioned above, with stationary objects your best bet is to increase exposure time and keep your ISO lower.
Old 12-17-2007, 08:46 AM
TPony
6th Gear Member

Dude, they are great pics!
Old 12-17-2007, 03:47 PM
TOMBSTANG
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: marcuskeeler

ORIGINAL: pignprogress

Shot some new pics of my car last night. Mustangmugshots.com is just a lil idea I have to promote some of the pics of my car and pics of some other peoples cars onceI begin to shoot them.I have been printing out my favs and basically have a shrine of my car in my room now[8D].I just added the fog light tint basically to see what it looked like so its only a rough draft of the tint, I have to do a proper one with out all the bubbles. yes I know I need rims, and springs and the list goes on. Just wanted you guys to see the mustang through my eyes. Hope you enjoy. Some of the pics are the same but just in black and white. The Gt 500is NOT my car it is Justin's from vmptuning.com

All pics were taken at about 1 am, I like to shoot at night its more relaxing and the sky line turns out crazy as you can see. yes you get more noise(grainy look in the pics) but my aim in my pics isnt to just have them clear Its more to have them look almost not real more of a imagination or painting style if ya get my point.......

current mods= c&l racer, udp, cmcv, 93 vmp xcal2, o/r-h , mac axle backs, roush spoiler, avs headlight covers,5%conerners, 5% foglight 5%all around. 35% winshield tint.

Mods in my closet= mac longtubes, 4:10(ford), roush springs,bmr lca,bmr bracket, internal antena, hood pins.

Mods on the horizan=mgw,gt-s2 hood, 20's ,zex(untill I can afford a s/c)

Nice ideas.
Please accept the following as constructive assistance......

You mention grain as being unavoidable (even desired) but it can be reduced a lot. Graininess is not an affliction your imageswant. While it might be at a visuallyacceptable level at small sizes, like these,blowing them up? - not going to happen.
What camera and in what mode are you taking these pics? it seems that you're taking them in a semi auto mode and simply playing with broad levels to achieve effects in Post Processing. This is why the car itself is often darker than the 'mood' requires.
If you're shooting in an auto or semi auto mode, youneed to be wary of the selected metering points, if the camera even allows you to alter them.
For best results though, you NEED to be taking these types of shots in full manual and making the best efforts to grab the desired shots using the camera to minimize the the amount of requiredpost processing.

See, when you're trying to balance highly contrasting light levels, the tough part is always going to be to get the dark points looking good. usually, by the time you've manipulated the dark section to a point where you think it'slooking good, the brighter points are washed out and grainy, as in the shot above, which obviously is the same shot after two stabs at processing it. Therefore you tend to make a compromise which ends up as simply that.

There are a number of ways of getting these types of shots and I don't want to regurgitate something you can easily get using google, but if this were me, I'd try the following.
Use a tripod and a long exposure with a small aperture, perhaps up to f18 and a low ISO. To accent the car, use a flash. The flash will illuminate the car and the long exposure will draw the background out.

The other thing is that youdon't have to take pics like this at 1am to get the light moody. Instead of taking a dark under exposed image and lightening it, do it in the daytime and use processing to darken the images, it's easier.

HDR, as previously mentioned is another, and very often the easiest way of achieving this, especiallywith [but not exclusively with] a limited function digital camera.

I hope you take these comments as they are offered, in a helpful way. You have a good eye for a shot, just need a little more technique.

Cheers
Marcus
Its basically the best my eqt can do at this point. Its not even a real slr its just a fuji s9000

I always shoot in full manual mode. The iso is only set at 200 and the frames take close to 30 seconds to capture the image. Thanks for the input but every thing you guys told me I already know.

IM not trying to defeat the grain anyway, as stated above Im not out to just take a clear picture. with out the grain it looses its painting effect and aged effect.

The car is dark because thats how I choose to make it look once I edit the pic. Its what my mood requires. If you seen more of my pics you would get the darkness part.

The shot above is the same shot but I didnt attempt to do anything diff with the top one,besides change itto sepia and that was it.

I used a tripod , the frames were close to 30 seconds long only thing i messed up on i relized my self was I had it at f 3.2. My iso was set at 200, and I was using a external flash but its not pointed directly at the car only enough to light it up just good enough.

Ill have to try the day time, then darken idea .

Thanks for the tips and feed back guys aprecciated greatly.
Old 12-17-2007, 03:56 PM
darkstang69
1st Gear Member

ORIGINAL: akumaky

i like the skyline in pic 1

lol i looked for a nissan skyline after i read this post
Old 12-17-2007, 04:03 PM
TOMBSTANG
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: Steve O Chap

HDR? High def res? If so yeah Ill take some pics sooner or later during da or proper lighting. MY cam isnt the greastest its 9. mega pixels so at the proper settings and lighting it puts out a pretty decent image.
I like the location and I think you have an eye...

Megapixels doesn't hold near as much importance as so many people think. It comes down to the quality of glass you're using and the settings (know your photographic triangle!) that truly makes a quality image. A 9 megapixel camera will take amazing photos in the right hands...

BTW, what setup are you using? I'm a Canon guy XTi and 5D...

EDIT: The higher the ISO you use, the more graininess you'll get in your pictures... like it was mentioned above, with stationary objects your best bet is to increase exposure time and keep your ISO lower.
I am jelous I want the 5 d but im waiting for them to make the new model wich they have been talking about 4ever.

I use a$350 fuji s9000 . think I have seen it for less even lately lol.
Old 12-17-2007, 04:09 PM
MELLOWYELLOW06
6th Gear Member

very tasteful pix
Old 12-17-2007, 04:09 PM
TOMBSTANG
5th Gear Member

The worst part is now that I am torn between car parts or saving for a new camera. I bought a HD video cam that was basically my s/c.......

Quick Reply: mustangmugshots=PICS PICS PICS