Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

SUSPENSION DONE PICS!!!!

Search this Thread

Old 12-20-2007, 07:25 AM
Argonaut
4th Gear Member

Default RE: SUSPENSION DONE PICS!!!!

ORIGINAL: thewarmachine

Hey, slvrstang, is it really necessary to use that spring compression tool to get springs on and off the struts? I'm getting front Roush springs and struts, but I don't have a spring tool. I was thinking of using some nylon rope to compress them....you know,...rig a loop to pull the rope back through like a pulley for some more power. Figured I could do this to both sides of the spring to get it compressed enough.
Yes, you have to have a spring compressor. I can't imagine your rope pulley idea working, these springs are strong! I went to Autozone and 'rented' one. It was a kit that consisted of two C-Clamp looking pieces, one for each side of the spring. There are locking pins to prevent slippage, something that could ruin your day. The top of each clamp has a nut you turn with a wrench that forces the two ends of the clamp together and compresses the spring. You may not have to use it to get the new springs back on the strut, depends on the spring. The Eibach-Pro did not require, its just short enough that you can get the top nut of the strut started without the compressors.
Old 12-20-2007, 09:35 AM
SlideWRX
2nd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: slvrstang2007
Only problem now is I have a thunk noise when I shift from 1st to 2nd gear after the car has been driven for a while, anyone have any thoughts on this, I put the car back on the lifts to see if anything was rubbing but everything looks ok, so I'm puzzled, but other then that I love it!
Like after the drivetrain has warmed up a bit? In the summer, I get a pretty consistent shift thunk, but it mostly goes away in thewinter, at least for short trips. long (45/60 minutes or more, I'd guess) trips and the shift clunk shows back up. Makes it incredibly difficult to shift smoothly at low speeds. I noticed it after my LCA install, however I think the stockers were simply mushy enough to muffle it, not prevent it.

Tom
Old 12-20-2007, 12:41 PM
thewarmachine
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: Argonaut

ORIGINAL: thewarmachine

Hey, slvrstang, is it really necessary to use that spring compression tool to get springs on and off the struts? I'm getting front Roush springs and struts, but I don't have a spring tool. I was thinking of using some nylon rope to compress them....you know,...rig a loop to pull the rope back through like a pulley for some more power. Figured I could do this to both sides of the spring to get it compressed enough.
Yes, you have to have a spring compressor. I can't imagine your rope pulley idea working, these springs are strong! I went to Autozone and 'rented' one. It was a kit that consisted of two C-Clamp looking pieces, one for each side of the spring. There are locking pins to prevent slippage, something that could ruin your day. The top of each clamp has a nut you turn with a wrench that forces the two ends of the clamp together and compresses the spring. You may not have to use it to get the new springs back on the strut, depends on the spring. The Eibach-Pro did not require, its just short enough that you can get the top nut of the strut started without the compressors.
Ok, cool. I didn't think of renting one. I was just thinking about how I can compress my rear coils pretty good with my hands. I didn't know if the fronts would be harder to compress.
Old 12-20-2007, 01:23 PM
Dex
5th Gear Member

you wont be able to compress them with rope or your hands. i also went to autozone and rented some like Argo described
Old 12-20-2007, 01:40 PM
thewarmachine
5th Gear Member

Thanks, guys!
Old 12-22-2007, 04:50 PM
slvrstang2007
2nd Gear Member

Ya definatly going to check my pinion angle today, definatly dont want to snap the u-joint, thanks for the info. Any yes I think a spring compressor is necessary, someone said you might be able to use a floor jack but I dont know how that would work, so just rent one for a short time it only took me 20minutes to get them finished. good luck!
Old 12-22-2007, 04:53 PM
slvrstang2007
2nd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: Pwny

That thunking noise means you have the risk of snapping a u-joint. Your pinion angle must be way off so check it ASAP!
You think the pinion angle could be that off if the car was only lowered like an inch?