Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Car got hit...pics inside

Search this Thread

Old 12-20-2007, 07:39 PM
moosestang
6th Gear Member

Default RE: Car got hit...pics inside

ORIGINAL: Burnsy

Why don't you slow down right now. I have a police report, but we are not going through insurance yet, so they are not reporting it to insurance as of now. I wanted an estimate just to get an idea, not because I'm paying. I have his plate, his license number, his phone number, and he lives about 10 houses down from me. If need be, we will go through insurance, but at this juncture, I am taking my car to shops that I know I will be satisfied with, and he is going to pay the lower of the estimates that I get.
The way you said it, i was also under the impression you didn't get a police report. That would make it really hard to prove anything in court. No one actually saw him hit your car.

but we did not have them write a full blown report because the guy says he is going to pay for the cheaper of two estimates.
Old 12-20-2007, 08:11 PM
Burnsy
5th Gear Member

The cop wrote an "e-tag" or something, stating that the accident did occur, where it occured, that the other guy was at fault, and that he responded, and can be reached for additional info if need be. At this point, who knows, maybe I'll hand him the estimate and he writes me a check. If he doesn't, we'll go to court. He's going to pay one way or another, at this point I'm just focused on getting it fixed right.
Old 12-20-2007, 08:42 PM
poohflingr
2nd Gear Member

Please do yourself a huge favor and report this to your insurance company. There is a difference between reporting a loss, and filing a claim. You need to have proof of this documented with your insurance company. It makes you look like a responsible party even though you aren't at fault. If the thing does go to court, you come up smelling like a rose because you notified your insurance company. If you don't, you look like you had something to hide. There is a myth that insurance companies raise rates if you even report an accident. That can't be further from the truth, so cover your *** and let them know.
Old 12-21-2007, 12:11 AM
aode08
5th Gear Member

$1400 , you have to figure in alignment
Old 12-21-2007, 01:18 AM
olvanish
3rd Gear Member

aight sorry. for a sec i thought u didnt have the police report. save yourself some time then and just call the insurance company. he will start being a pain once you bring him and estimate and start talking about rental, trust me. just make one phone call, and make things easy for yourself, that's all it takes.
Old 12-21-2007, 11:38 PM
Burnsy
5th Gear Member

that is what im thinking... im planning on calling the ins. company soon, will let you guys know how it goes

[/align]
Old 12-22-2007, 10:01 AM
MachRanger
1st Gear Member

ORIGINAL: Chris07GT

"the guy says he is going to pay for the cheaper of two estimates"

Don't let him get away with just paying the cheaper of the two estimates. YOU decide where you want it repaired and HE needs to pay it regardless of the cost. Tell him if he doesn't like it, then you will go through the insurance company. You also need to make him pay for a rental for you. In my experience, the people who try to go around insurance companies are normally people who have multiple accidents/claims on their records. Just be careful. Oh, by the way, sucks about your car. Seing that snow/ice makes me glad I live in Florida. And to think I was complaining the other day because it was only 50 degrees outside.
+1
YOU have the right to decide where you get your car fixed, not him. And don't just accept the lowest bid, might not be the best job.I'd inform your insurance company of everything so far justto be on the safe side. You don't have to file a claim but just let them know what's going on.