Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Calling all drag racers...

Search this Thread

Old 12-20-2007, 02:19 PM
marcuskeeler
5th Gear Member

Default RE: Calling all drag racers...

Well assuming you shift close to the rev limiter (assuming you still have it enabled), power shifting isn't gonna hurt too much, even if you miss the shift as you'll merely hit the limiter which will save your mill. It's not like downshifting too early on a road course and sending the revs through the roof.

The killer is the launch IMHO, I see some guys recommending 4000rpm+ before side stepping the clutch. I mean, that's gonna leave a mark [&:]
Old 12-20-2007, 10:19 PM
Diabolical!
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: D_Gusler

ON mickeys, I never let off the gas, never touch the clutch after launch. On nittos, I let off the gas & use the clutch
On mickeys, I never lift the gas pedal, but how do you shift without the clutch? You must be damn good, because I've never even attempted that.
Old 12-20-2007, 10:37 PM
whtcanbrwnd04u
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: nineinchnail1024

ON mickeys, I never let off the gas, never touch the clutch after launch. On nittos, I let off the gas & use the clutch
On mickeys, I never lift the gas pedal, but how do you shift without the clutch? You must be damn good, because I've never even attempted that.
i was just about to PM him and ask that.
Old 12-20-2007, 10:40 PM
Black07gt
3rd Gear Member

OUCH!!! trannys aren't that cheap bro.
Old 12-21-2007, 01:33 AM
Stoenr
5th Gear Member

Nolift.

And sorry all I got from this post was calling bull **** on American speed with his 1.81 on stock tires.
And a 12.87 with a CAI and tune.
Any one else?

Old 12-21-2007, 01:52 AM
GT Bob
3rd Gear Member

Shifting without the clutch (also called flat shifting) isn't that hard. Most truckers don't touch a clutch unless they are stopping or starting out from a stop. Basically, you just need to pull the car out of gear, let the rpm's drop to where they would be if you were in the gear your going for and it should slide right in. Downshifting is exactly the opposite. Out of gear, blip the throttle to where the rpm's match the road speed for that gear, and it will slide in.

To make it a bit clearer with an EXAMPLE (with made up numbers)... If your in 2nd at 3000 rpms and 40 miles per hour, and in 3rd at 40 mph you would have 2200 rpms.you pull out of 2nd, and when your rpms drop to 2200, you should be able to slide right into 3rd. Reverse is true for downshifting. COme out of gear at 2200 rpms blip the throttle and when your rpms hit 3000, it should slide it. ON the downshift, it's better to overshoot the rpm slightly and slide it into gear as it drops.

As for how I shift? On street tires, I granny shift. On Drag Radials or slicks, I powershift. Most would agree thats about the best way to go unless you like to watch your ET's go up in a cloud of tiresmoke.
And to D_Gusler, unless your an auto trans [sm=bs.gif]. If you never let off the gas, There's no way you'll ever get into the next gear without hitting the clutch. The synchronizers can't make up for that much of a difference between road speed and engine speed. Physically not possible, end of story.
Old 12-21-2007, 02:07 AM
Stoenr
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: GT Bob

Shifting without the clutch (also called flat shifting) isn't that hard. Most truckers don't touch a clutch unless they are stopping or starting out from a stop. Basically, you just need to pull the car out of gear, let the rpm's drop to where they would be if you were in the gear your going for and it should slide right in. Downshifting is exactly the opposite. Out of gear, blip the throttle to where the rpm's match the road speed for that gear, and it will slide in.

To make it a bit clearer with an EXAMPLE (with made up numbers)... If your in 2nd at 3000 rpms and 40 miles per hour, and in 3rd at 40 mph you would have 2200 rpms.you pull out of 2nd, and when your rpms drop to 2200, you should be able to slide right into 3rd. Reverse is true for downshifting. COme out of gear at 2200 rpms blip the throttle and when your rpms hit 3000, it should slide it. ON the downshift, it's better to overshoot the rpm slightly and slide it into gear as it drops.

Why even go into depth about this on a drag strip post?
And this is actually hard on the clutch hydrolics(sp). And no way does it make you faster.
I only recommend this if your clutch slave* is shot and you need to make it to a repair shop.
Old 12-21-2007, 02:10 AM
Diabolical!
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: GT Bob

As for how I shift? On street tires, I granny shift. On Drag Radials or slicks, I powershift. Most would agree thats about the best way to go unless you like to watch your ET's go up in a cloud of tiresmoke.
And to D_Gusler, unless your an auto trans [sm=bs.gif]. If you never let off the gas, There's no way you'll ever get into the next gear without hitting the clutch. The synchronizers can't make up for that much of a difference between road speed and engine speed. Physically not possible, end of story.
Yeah, anybody can shift without the clutch at low speeds, though I don't recommend it, but at 6K RPMs on the drag strip??? That's what I'm not buying.
Old 12-21-2007, 04:21 AM
mobydick
2nd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: Stoenr

Nolift.

And sorry all I got from this post was calling bull **** on American speed with his 1.81 on stock tires.
Any one else?

I think it can be done, it's called weight reduction.
Old 12-21-2007, 07:00 AM
Gene K
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: Stoenr

Nolift.

Any one else?

OFF TOPIC:
It can be done on a well prepped track if the torque Management is disabled in the computer.
I have left at 5500 rpm with ZERO tire slip on stock Pirellis but the TM kills the 60'.
The car bogs bad because the PCM wont allow the TB to open full as long as the clutch pedal isnt all the way out.
I had to slip the clutch for 30' to a 1.97 to avoid the "nose over". There is easily another 0.15 available if the car
was actually full throttle (TB wide open).

The proven 100% Showroom Stock Pass stands at 13.216....
I have run 13.537 at 1285' Density Altitude and I weigh 280 lb...
On the same day Karen (-160 lb) went 13.351....

ON TOPIC:
I found that Powershifting my car (stock PCM programming) makes it slower. Not because of Tire Spin but because of the TM.
If I "breathe" the throttle about 30% during a a shift (at roughly 6175 rpm) it will not "lay down" after the shift like it does
with a full powershift. I theorize that when the PCM closes the throttle (TB) partially during the shift because the clutch pedal is depressed it takes longer to return it to full throttle after the shift than it responds to my foot when TM is not activated.

Quick Reply: Calling all drag racers...