Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

New GT uh oh

Search this Thread

Old 12-23-2007, 06:37 AM
ckone0814
3rd Gear Member

Default New GT uh oh

Picked up my new 07 GT vert yesterday. Had a 1.5 hr ride home - I drove the first half, wife drove the second half. Fifteen mins from home we stop at Arby's for lunch...low bumper meets high parking curb...you know the rest. I got sick to my stomach and she's really upset. Oh well. Wasn't too bad - scratches only on passenger corner underside of bumper. My local dent guy can fix it good and relatively cheap.

Guess she (we) had to learn somehow and it coulda been a lot worse?!
Old 12-23-2007, 06:53 AM
suoperdave84
4th Gear Member

Default RE: New GT uh oh

Yeah sorry to hear that. I have the GT500 bumper and I am lowered 1.5 inches so I am paranoid about curbs. I have been luck with the bumper but I did scrape my brand new wheels on a curb. That feeling sucks.
Old 12-23-2007, 07:08 AM
TMLFAN
2nd Gear Member

Sorry about your luck. Good to get the firstscratch over with. My wife did the same to her new HHR in the summer.
Old 12-23-2007, 07:11 AM
howarmat
s197 Junkie

honestly in stock form the GT has move clearance than a lot of cars that i have seen....now that i lowered it with the FRPP springs, it sits quite low and must watch the speedbump
Old 12-23-2007, 07:12 AM
NJBLK07GT
2nd Gear Member

Don't feel bad. I did the same thing with in 14 hours of ownership. Took a ride to the mountains and hit a stone curb with the same corner as you. I did not get it fixed because the chin spoiler going on in a week or two will hide the scrapes. You might want to think about a chin spoiler as well to hide the damage.
Old 12-23-2007, 07:12 AM
xyster
2nd Gear Member

Here's a bad one... On a busy day at the grocery store, the parking lot area was quite full of cars. I decided to park close to the store with my previous car (PT Cruiser, before it got lowered). I went in, got what I needed and proceeded to walk back over to my car. I could see that the lump of cars had cleared up dramatically from the time that I was in the store.

I started my car, noticed no one in front of me, but wait! I thought to myself "what if there is a cement block in front?" I decided to look both ways to see if there were any somewhere else... "NOPE!" I put it into drive and moved forward at my usual pace... Then, as I was about to change the station on the radio, the car suddenly jolted from the passenger side and all I heard was **CRKK SMADKTH THUD**. An few words popped into my head and slipped out of my mouth as my 2 ton foot slammed on the brake.

After a thorough check, sure enough, scraped bumper, car was now positioned on the frame on top of the cement. I couldn't believe it. I looked out at the span of the whole parking lot. NO WHERE was there another cement block in this parking lot. Did someone steal them? Possible... or some idiot decided it was cool to put one cement block down and see what happens. I checked for hidden cameras somewhere...

Ok enough with the story telling. I gassed the car in reverse, hopped back over leaving a skid mark on both sides of that POS block and headed home. A few scratches to my bumper and my pride, but other than that, I was in pretty good shape for both.

I could now only look back and wonder how it would have played out with my new bumper and my springs a year later (for the already slightly low front pt).

Moral: Don't assume... :P

So don't feel bad... probably everyone has done something similar (or worse) to their new baby at one time or another. I am 24 yrs old and have time to make plenty more stupid mistakes. I haven't yet repeated any so far (I hope lmao).
Old 12-23-2007, 07:13 AM
xyster
2nd Gear Member

Damn... all of that just to say I ran over a cement block myself... LOL
Old 12-23-2007, 09:07 AM
GT John
3rd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: ckone0814

Picked up my new 07 GT vert yesterday. Had a 1.5 hr ride home - I drove the first half, wife drove the second half. Fifteen mins from home we stop at Arby's for lunch...low bumper meets high parking curb...you know the rest. I got sick to my stomach and she's really upset. Oh well. Wasn't too bad - scratches only on passenger corner underside of bumper. My local dent guy can fix it good and relatively cheap.

Guess she (we) had to learn somehow and it coulda been a lot worse?!
Yeah, be careful at the bank drive up curbs also.

Hurts..............doesnt it.[sm=headbang.gif]
Old 12-23-2007, 09:50 AM
whtcanbrwnd04u
5th Gear Member

Im lowered 1.5" and i still pull into curbs and dont scrape
Old 12-23-2007, 09:52 AM
americaniron
5th Gear Member

Congrats, and sorry at the same time.