Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Moleskin dilemma

Search this Thread

Old 12-24-2007, 09:24 PM
dsteber

Default Moleskin dilemma

Well, I traded the 06 for the 08 GT/CS. Love it!! I knew about the issue with the "velcro" on the S197's, as my tint was scratched on the 06. So, before I tint the 08, I figured I would put the moleskin on. I watched taco bill's videos, which were awesome!! I take apart the driver side and the felt that was on it was very thin. It looked nothing like the velcro of old. I thought it was me, so I decided to take it off anyway. Bad idea!! I warmed it up with a hair dryer and commenced to start pulling it off. It stretched the rubber, then ripped a little. It did enough damage to make me say---wait, thats enough!!! Long story short---FMC must have "fixed" the issue on the 08's. ANyone know exactly what the name of this part is--the thing that slides out that has the felt on it? I need a new one and hope to replace it before the wife notices it!!! BTW--MERRY CHRISTMAS!!
Old 12-24-2007, 10:41 PM
seniorsmith
3rd Gear Member

Default RE: Moleskin dilemma

Does anyone know if by chance they fixed the issue in 07??? Getting mine tinted out in the spring and would love to know.
Old 12-24-2007, 10:52 PM
BlueDemon07
1st Gear Member

I have an 07 GT/CS and I have terrible scratches all over the tint onmy driver and passenger windows. So my guess would be that they didn't fix it in 07.
Old 12-24-2007, 11:52 PM
DeStonn
4th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: BlueDemon07

I have an 07 GT/CS and I have terrible scratches all over the tint onmy driver and passenger windows. So my guess would be that they didn't fix it in 07.
+1
Old 12-25-2007, 12:24 AM
pnandy
2nd Gear Member

ya i had the same guys that did taco bills tint and moleskin do my 07 gt/cs so it wouldn't scratch
Old 12-25-2007, 12:33 AM
Dutcherman
1st Gear Member

They did change the seal design for '08 and cost about $30 each. Asked the dealer if the '07 ones can be replaced with the new style under warranty and was told "there are no problems with the seal because it doesnt scratch the glass". So then why did Ford redesign it if there were no problems with the original design?[sm=insomnia.gif]
Old 12-25-2007, 09:53 AM
Tormentor
2nd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: dsteber

Well, I traded the 06 for the 08 GT/CS. Love it!! I knew about the issue with the "velcro" on the S197's, as my tint was scratched on the 06. So, before I tint the 08, I figured I would put the moleskin on. I watched taco bill's videos, which were awesome!! I take apart the driver side and the felt that was on it was very thin. It looked nothing like the velcro of old. I thought it was me, so I decided to take it off anyway. Bad idea!! I warmed it up with a hair dryer and commenced to start pulling it off. It stretched the rubber, then ripped a little. It did enough damage to make me say---wait, thats enough!!! Long story short---FMC must have "fixed" the issue on the 08's. ANyone know exactly what the name of this part is--the thing that slides out that has the felt on it? I need a new one and hope to replace it before the wife notices it!!! BTW--MERRY CHRISTMAS!!
The parts are called window wipes. I had my windows tinted on my 07 Gt a few months ago, I went out and bought the moleskin for the install but didnt put it on first. After 1 day with the new tints on my window wipes starting rolling down into the door opening and ruined them so I went to the dealership and orderd 2 new wipes for about $30 a piece and went to put the moleskin on them but found they had the felt on them so I havent done anything to them and I have NO issues with scratches
Old 12-25-2007, 10:21 AM
steveo555
2nd Gear Member

I got my windows tinted on Saturday and they already scratched, but only at the bottom and that is because of the drop window feature. I put on moleskin yesterday and the install is a little different then tacobills write-up.I have a 2007 and it did not have felt like in the write up. All I had to do was clean it with rubbing alcohol and sand it a little then put the moleskin on. Also I had to take off all the bolts to take the thing out unlike what tacobill said that all you need it the three bolts. But the tacobill writeup helped a lot. And once I put in the moleskin those little scratches I was talking about at the bottom went away once I rolled the windows up with the moleskin on.
Old 12-25-2007, 10:21 AM
one eyed willy
5th Gear Member

my 07 had nothing on the at all,not felt or glue to pull off,it was rubber and rubber alone,i got the moleskin for free and put it on,its been all good.
Old 12-25-2007, 10:35 AM
ThumperMX113
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: Dutcherman

They did change the seal design for '08 and cost about $30 each. Asked the dealer if the '07 ones can be replaced with the new style under warranty and was told "there are no problems with the seal because it doesnt scratch the glass". So then why did Ford redesign it if there were no problems with the original design?[sm=insomnia.gif]
Ford paid for my girlfriend's car to be re-tinted. Try another dealer.

Quick Reply: Moleskin dilemma