Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Xcal3 - Another One Bites the Dust!

Old 12-31-2007, 07:48 AM
Gene K
5th Gear Member

Default Xcal3 - Another One Bites the Dust!

Well guys I think I have a dead Xcal3. Not sure if its the units fault or mine. Heres the story.

I was attempting to datalog a full throttle 1-2 Powershift. I started the Datalog. When I was maneuvering out onto the deserted rural 4-Lane at 3:30 AM the car stalled. Not sure if it was driver error or the Xcal3.I should have disconnnected the unit at this point most likely. Instead I instinctively tried to restart the car. The starter wouldnt even turn over. It acted like the clutch safety switch was nonfunctional. At this point I checked the XCal3 and noticed I just had a blank blue screen. I unplugged the Xcal3 and tried the starter again and the starter functioned and the engine fired immediately. The TCS off light remains permanently illuminated and no check engine light has appeared. Response remains good and the car continues to spin up well past the factory 6250 rpm limiter so
I believe the Bama Race 93 Oct Tune remains in place hopefully 100% intact. HoweverI now get a blank blue screen whenever the Xcal3 is connected.Any suggestions? If I cant fix it I can likely get a replacement from Doug but I will no longer have a stock program so how do I get the new unit to initialize?
Old 12-31-2007, 07:56 AM
howarmat
s197 Junkie

Default RE: Xcal3 - Another One Bites the Dust!

The X3 has had some problems....

1) Was update to latest firmware
2) Can you hook it up to a computer and get any response

You can send it to SCT and probably get a new one and they might be able to transfer the stock tune somehow. Not sure though but I know many people have experienced exactly what you describe.
Old 12-31-2007, 08:06 AM
Black05StangGT
3rd Gear Member

Blue screen of death, I wonder if they used any microsoft products in that thing...lol...but yeah that sucks man I hope you get it figured out...
Old 12-31-2007, 08:07 AM
Gene K
5th Gear Member

@#$% I new I should have gotten the XCal2 but they swore they had it fixed!
Its a new unit and supposed to have the updated firmware.
I wonder if I can get an Xcal2 as a replacement?

Oh well! If worse comes to worse I can always go to the dealer and get the car reflashed.

The tune on the car is fine for now but eventually this car is getting a gear change which means
this issue will have to be taken care of.
Old 12-31-2007, 09:34 AM
Gene K
5th Gear Member

The good news:
Okay, it took about an hour. About 3 out of 4 times the unit wont respond. But I got the latest 12-02 firmware upgrade loaded.
I also after 5 tries asking it to "Get Stock File" got it to download a 960 KB file labeled flash.lbu
I have no way of reading a lbu file so I guess I will just pray its an uncorrupted stock file.
I also got it to recognize my custom tunes on the unit. All three of them.

The bad news:
Xcal3 still has a blank blue screen.
Old 12-31-2007, 10:38 AM
sleeper2
3rd Gear Member

Gene, all this makes me glad I have just a "2"!

Sleeper2
Old 12-31-2007, 11:53 AM
rford426
4th Gear Member

i bought my tuner from a local shop and i was suppose to be getting the xcal3 and it would have been the first one they have sold but then when they started tuning my car they couldnt get it working right or something so end of the day i go to get my car i have a freaking strategy flash tuner>>>.WTF so im supposed to be going back and gettin it replaced with the xcal3
Old 12-31-2007, 02:54 PM
Gene K
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: rford426

i bought my tuner from a local shop and i was suppose to be getting the xcal3 and it would have been the first one they have sold but then when they started tuning my car they couldnt get it working right or something so end of the day i go to get my car i have a freaking strategy flash tuner>>>.WTF so im supposed to be going back and gettin it replaced with the xcal3
The issues where "supposed" to be fixed. I think I would ask for a Xcal2 instead. They are still in the product line.

The only reason you might actually need a Xcal3 isif you need to store 3 Custom Programs and have a 2007+ A5.
Some of the later A5 guys are having a hard time getting the X2 to load more than 2 custom programs (ie not enough memory)

Old 12-31-2007, 04:31 PM
azstanglover
2nd Gear Member

Forgive my ignorance but what is a 2007+ A5 refuring to?
Old 01-01-2008, 08:38 AM
Gene K
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: azstanglover

Forgive my ignorance but what is a 2007+ A5 refuring to?
A5 = Automatic 5spd

M5 = Manual 5spd

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Xcal3 - Another One Bites the Dust!