Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

S/C Whipple Mustang (Good read)

Search this Thread

Old 01-03-2008, 12:02 AM
mygt500
Multi-Tasking Moderator!

Default RE: S/C Whipple Mustang (Good read)

I had my car done by Lidio and have the 20 inch rims and street tires and she is real fast....The times are correct and very attainable with this TS S/C!
ORIGINAL: 281GT

This is a very interesting read. I really have to question how the car is running times like that on 20" rims and non drag radial tires though. Admittedly the 4.6 with 3.31 gears and stock 2450 rpm stall converter isn't going to have a lot of low end grunt but I've seen cars with a lot less power than that with better tires not able to hook up like that one appears to.
Don't get me wrong, I'm not calling BS but I do think there might be some information being left out here. Maybe someone can elighten me.
Old 01-03-2008, 12:07 AM
mygt500
Multi-Tasking Moderator!

I drove in that car and it is not gutted in any way! Very streetable and he has done many passes with that 07 black GT automatic (over 30).....I do have to say I was told by a friend that he was at the track this past november or december and blew the motor trying to run more PSI w/ meth on the STOCK block and at the 1000' mark the motor blew and oil everywhere and than he hit the wall.......Lidio was fine but the car needs a new motor and front end. I wish I had the cash to experiment with a meth inj /whippled GT running 16+ PSI at the time of the cars' motor demise.....
ORIGINAL: blueherd02gt

It wieghed in at 3800 lbs with driver. Blower wieghs 100lbs, driver 200lbs so I'd say no they didn't gut her. These setups are becoming more normal and I've been swayed this way locally

ORIGINAL: zesty

Doesnt say they didn't "gut the inside"
Old 01-03-2008, 12:37 AM
281GT
3rd Gear Member

Well this whole thing has piqued my curiosity...
This with stock suspension too? The stock LCA's flex like crazy if you put any power to them. Also the angles aren't right for drag racing. You need to use relocation brackets to drop them at the back for better weight transfer.
Sorry guys, I'm just gonna keep asking questions until I understand this one. By rights it shouldn't launch like that with the stock setup. It should just wheelhop and spin all over the place.
mygt500 - "I had my car done by Lidio and have the 20 inch rims and street tires and she is real fast....The times are correct and very attainable with this TS S/C!" I beleive you no worries there. I read a lot more than I post and I've read many of your posts and I beleive that you are credible.
Now something else here that might explain all this. I am of the opinion that in some cases too much gear is a bad thing, particularly in cases where engine torque output is very high such as would be the case here. In this case the 3.31 gears might actually be helping the car launch by utlizing the torque more effectively. For example I've seen some older big block cars actually run SLOWER with 4.10 gears than they did with 3.55s because the engine just winds past the point in it's power band where it makes it's maximum torque soo early that it effectively wastes the lower end of the torque curve. In this case though the 60' times are very good, the difference may be in the first 20'. Dunno, I'm just trying to figure this all out.
I'm probably making no sense but dammit I'm man enough to admit it!
Old 01-03-2008, 12:48 AM
CataclysmGT
4th Gear Member

When is this new Whipple coming out? I don't want to go out and order the "old" 2.3 liter if its going to come out before spring. I emailed Whipple......hopefully they respond. It might end up being something like the KB 2.6H model...with higher internal compression.
Old 01-03-2008, 01:05 AM
mygt500
Multi-Tasking Moderator!

If I remember correctly the car did get new mufflers for better sound and the 315 tires do help compensate for the sidewall being so small. The contact patch is now very wide and when he warms the tires up on every pass it allows him to get off the line with a great 60' time (I believe 1.6x was the best) and the torque converter set with the SCT tuner for the way he feels is the best launch. The website and calling him by phone will give the most accurate numbers and I will track my stock stick GT (except obviously I have a Whipple) this spring and post up the numbers. Remember everything on my car is stock too and I feel the stick and my lack of track time will hurt me but I still feel I will get high 11's or low 12's with my setup and 20 inch rims and tires with a 285 width in the back in the 1/4 mile! JMO but we will see!!!!! Thanks for calling me credible as well!!!!!!!!!! I do have a 3:55 gear from the factory though which will affect my numbers too...Later J

Here is a link....http://www.alternativeauto.com

ORIGINAL: 281GT

Well this whole thing has piqued my curiosity...
This with stock suspension too? The stock LCA's flex like crazy if you put any power to them. Also the angles aren't right for drag racing. You need to use relocation brackets to drop them at the back for better weight transfer.
Sorry guys, I'm just gonna keep asking questions until I understand this one. By rights it shouldn't launch like that with the stock setup. It should just wheelhop and spin all over the place.
mygt500 - "I had my car done by Lidio and have the 20 inch rims and street tires and she is real fast....The times are correct and very attainable with this TS S/C!" I beleive you no worries there. I read a lot more than I post and I've read many of your posts and I beleive that you are credible.
Now something else here that might explain all this. I am of the opinion that in some cases too much gear is a bad thing, particularly in cases where engine torque output is very high such as would be the case here. In this case the 3.31 gears might actually be helping the car launch by utlizing the torque more effectively. For example I've seen some older big block cars actually run SLOWER with 4.10 gears than they did with 3.55s because the engine just winds past the point in it's power band where it makes it's maximum torque soo early that it effectively wastes the lower end of the torque curve. In this case though the 60' times are very good, the difference may be in the first 20'. Dunno, I'm just trying to figure this all out.
I'm probably making no sense but dammit I'm man enough to admit it!
Old 01-03-2008, 09:23 AM
MustangGT0405
5th Gear Member

I agree the numbers sound to good to be true but I think if you had the knowledge to tune the car for power and shifting of the trans you could tune the perfect launch into the computer. I have never seen this car run, but I trust 1/4 mile times over dyno numbers anyday.

As far as not getting a whipple because they might make a bigger one, I just dont get it if you are building up a street car. If you are keeping the boost under 15 psi I dont think there can be much of a difference.

How much more effiecient could the new blower be?

From what I have read you get 15-20 hp per 1 pound of boost, (till you hit diminishing returns). So if the new blower is 10% more efficient that would get you an extra 2hp per # of boost. Would you every notice that?

Now if you want a mean drag car and want to run 20+ psi I get it as you have more room to grow. But for a "normal" street build you wont see anything.

Just think the KB 2.6 doesnt make much if any more than the 2.3 whipple at 11psi.

Just food for thought. Also making myself feel a little better as I just ordered the whipple .
Old 01-03-2008, 11:43 AM
TJ
4th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: mygt500

I drove in that car and it is not gutted in any way! Very streetable and he has done many passes with that 07 black GT automatic (over 30).....I do have to say I was told by a friend that he was at the track this past november or december and blew the motor trying to run more PSI w/ meth on the STOCK block and at the 1000' mark the motor blew and oil everywhere and than he hit the wall.......Lidio was fine but the car needs a new motor and front end. I wish I had the cash to experiment with a meth inj /whippled GT running 16+ PSI at the time of the cars' motor demise.....
ORIGINAL: blueherd02gt

It wieghed in at 3800 lbs with driver. Blower wieghs 100lbs, driver 200lbs so I'd say no they didn't gut her. These setups are becoming more normal and I've been swayed this way locally

ORIGINAL: zesty

Doesnt say they didn't "gut the inside"
The first thingglad to hear he is ok!

He was running 17psi in the article update and talked about going up 1-2psi so that would have put him at 18-19psi on these stock rods & pistons wow talk about pushing it lol, man!

Mygt500 curious as to what his plans are now forged SB one would think, but what psi would be caplable and what rwhp could be possible with a 2.3L hmm, have you heardanything on his plans?

@ MexGT
Your linky isstill not working I will get back to you latertoday.
Old 01-03-2008, 12:21 PM
TJ
4th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: Blackhawk

^^ I don't see why they wouldn't... Kenne Bell gets or used to get all there twin screws from Whipple, and don't they offer a 2.6?
KB started making thier own twin screws so one would think the 2.6 is thier TS, I believe they maketwo 2.6 models for the S197. One whichruns good(similar to the Whipple 2.3)at 11-12psi and the othermore for a built motor and starting out at 15 psi is perferedon this model.

ORIGINAL: CataclysmGT

When is this new Whipple coming out? I don't want to go out and order the "old" 2.3 liter if its going to come out before spring. I emailed Whipple......hopefully they respond. It might end up being something like the KB 2.6H model...with higher internal compression.
If your going by what I said in my previous postI have no proof they are coming out with a new TS its just a opinion I formed (2.9L?)from what I am hearing and reading.

I think the Whipple 2.3L caplable of putting a (auto,stock lca's/susp, stock gears, non dr' tire etc)S197 in the11's@ 10-11psi is excellantand would be my choice for a stock SB( for a few reasons imo) if buying now.Also knowing Lidio (Alternative auto) has a meth setup(designed for this system) along the ACT sensor ( for monitoring and tuning)that can be installed (@ install or down the road)is just a bigplus imo.
Old 01-03-2008, 05:01 PM
Gene K
5th Gear Member

I think the secret to the launch is in the tune. If you read the article it states at the end that they
could be 3/10 quicker with DR's if they retuned the engine to add back the low-end power.
Old 01-03-2008, 07:02 PM
TJ
4th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: MexGT

Then its a fair price

Even though ... 500 rwhp for 15 - 16 psi is very low, we all know that the problem is the stock TB that is useless above 11 - 12 psi and causing not to produce any more or marginal power gains when psi is increased.
MexGT I just read that info you sent me regarding (dynoproven by ST Motorsports)the BBKTB, I take back what I said it really helps more than Iexpected (10-12rwhp)at 16psi, looks like27rwhp pick up nice.

Thenthey installed thatcustom CAI intake very similar to the KB intake running under the front bumper&Black DiamondTB they picked up around 62 rwhp (wow) on top of the 27rwhprunning the Whipple 2.3. All I can say is wow that isvery impressive!!

See I was right on one thingit was running out of air.

Thanks for that info!!

Quick Reply: S/C Whipple Mustang (Good read)