Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

3 degrees Fahrenheit

Search this Thread

Old 01-03-2008, 07:57 AM
imyy4u
3rd Gear Member

Default 3 degrees Fahrenheit

OK, so it's 3 degrees out, and I'm having some problems. For one, my e-brake is freezing up in the morning like many others. Only after I drive in slushy/watery mix, and then park as the temp drops, though, so I don't know if anything can be done. My car was built AFTER 10/2005 so why do I have this problem???

Secondly, the car is taking forever to warm up...as in 30 minutes to go from cold to normal operating temp. In a v-8!!! WTF?! And why does the rear defroster take so damn long to melt the ice?! As in 45min+...

Third, the car is sometimes having a hard time starting. It sometimes cranks a lot longer than usual before starting.

Lastly, the washer nozzles keep freezing until the engine warms up. Kind of defeats the point of them if they are frozen until the car is warmed up, because by then the defroster has melted ice on the window.

And don't even get me started on traction issues...traction in gears 1-3 is nonexistant even on plowed, dry roads when it's very cold out. Grrr...
Old 01-03-2008, 07:59 AM
2cokeman
5th Gear Member

Default RE: 3 degrees Fahrenheit

move to a warmer climate
Old 01-03-2008, 08:01 AM
imyy4u
3rd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: 2cokeman

move to a warmer climate
best advice yet :-D

damn Chicago winters...when are you sending me a check so I can do this??? :-D
Old 01-03-2008, 08:34 AM
smythge
4th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: imyy4u

OK, so it's 3 degrees out, and I'm having some problems. For one, my e-brake is freezing up in the morning like many others. Only after I drive in slushy/watery mix, and then park as the temp drops, though, so I don't know if anything can be done. My car was built AFTER 10/2005 so why do I have this problem???

Secondly, the car is taking forever to warm up...as in 30 minutes to go from cold to normal operating temp. In a v-8!!! WTF?! And why does the rear defroster take so damn long to melt the ice?! As in 45min+...

Third, the car is sometimes having a hard time starting. It sometimes cranks a lot longer than usual before starting.

Lastly, the washer nozzles keep freezing until the engine warms up. Kind of defeats the point of them if they are frozen until the car is warmed up, because by then the defroster has melted ice on the window.

And don't even get me started on traction issues...traction in gears 1-3 is nonexistant even on plowed, dry roads when it's very cold out. Grrr...
I had an auto V6 last winter and it went through anything never got stuck or had traction issues (with 17" GT take off wheels) Drove my manual GT once and ithas been in the garage since October, I live in Wisconsin.

The warming up may be a problem with the thermostat,have it checked out.
The washer nozzle is freezing most likely because it has some water in it, spray it out and all new winter washer fluid.
Traction--get some all season or winter tires
E-brake needs to be looked at.
When it's cold most motor require a little more crankingto start them, the oil is cold so they don't crank over as fast also the air fuel mixture is richer so it takes a little longer.
Old 01-03-2008, 08:37 AM
dferkler
2nd Gear Member

Just wait a few more years. Chicago is going to be the new Miami. Philadelphia is the current Miami. Gotta love global warming!!

Day[/b] Night[/b]

Cloudy High
60°F[/b]

Precip
10%
Wind: S 11 mph Max. Humidity: 79% UV Index: 1 Low [/align]
Sunrise: 7:22 AM ET Avg. High: 41°F Record High: 58°F (1965)

Showers Overnight Low
40°F[/b]

Precip
60%
Wind: SSE 8 mph Max. Humidity: 78% Sunset: 4:53 PM ET Avg. Low: 25°F Record Low: 3°F (1970)
Last Updated Thursday, Jan 3, 9:19 AM Eastern Standard Time[/align]
Old 01-03-2008, 09:06 AM
TerpsandStangs
1st Gear Member

30 minutes is quite a long time for the car to warm up, I have to agree that it might be an issue with your thermostat. It would be pretty easy to get it out and take a look at it yourself so it might be something worthwhile to look into.

Personally I try to get most off the ice off my back window with an ice scraper, will only help the defroster but also I don't know how thick the ice is you are trying to remove.

As for the cranking time, oil temp will be an issue (shouldn't be a big one with synthetic oil) and also your battery temp/life could have an affect.

For the traction issue try putting a stuffed animal under the peddle
Old 01-03-2008, 09:19 AM
NyFordTech
3rd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: 2cokeman

move to a warmer climate
+ 1

30 min for the car to warm up that dosnt seem right.
3 degrees damnn im glad im in ny dosnt get that cold ( yet)
Old 01-03-2008, 09:24 AM
imyy4u
3rd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: smythge
I had an auto V6 last winter and it went through anything never got stuck or had traction issues (with 17" GT take off wheels) Drove my manual GT once and ithas been in the garage since October, I live in Wisconsin.

The warming up may be a problem with the thermostat,have it checked out.
The washer nozzle is freezing most likely because it has some water in it, spray it out and all new winter washer fluid.
Traction--get some all season or winter tires
E-brake needs to be looked at.
When it's cold most motor require a little more crankingto start them, the oil is cold so they don't crank over as fast also the air fuel mixture is richer so it takes a little longer.
OK, I don't think it is a problem with the thermostat, because it does seem accurate and it reads correctly. It just takes 30 min for my car to reach normal operating temp. I can tell it's not the thermostat because it takes a good 15min for the heat to even kick on (that's when the temp guage needle starts to move ever so slightly off of C). I'll probably get this checked...any other ideas?

As for the washer nozzle, I don't have water in it, it is 100% antifreeze. NEVER had water in it, ALWAYS antifreeze year round. I have sprayed it out numerous times and always it freezes until the engine warms.

As for the e-brake - what am I supposed to tell them? That is only supposed to apply to cars made before 10/2005. How could I still have this problem? And if I do, all they would do is replace it with the same parts so the problem would reoccur...don't see how this helps.

As for the cranking, you guys are probably right. Nothing I can do about this...thanks anyways though :-)

Oh and as for the rear defroster, I am talking about only 1-3mm of ice on the back windshield taking 45min to melt. And that's if I turn on the rear defroster immediately after starting the car. I would expect (as in my previous cars) for it to be melted in 15 min max.

edit: as for traction, I have Michelin x-Ice snow tires for the rear...they help a LOT. I am just bitching about traction, but I know that I won't have much in winter...no surprise here, and I don't think anything is wrong with my car in this instance.
Old 01-03-2008, 09:33 AM
MrSandman
5th Gear Member

When I was 16, my dad told me to never use the e-brake in temps colder than 30 F.

Buy a bottle of spray deicer

...or put it in a garage.

Don't buy a 300hp car if traction issues is a mjor concern (not trying to sound like an ***.. but it's true).

Old 01-03-2008, 09:40 AM
ohskigod
2nd Gear Member

sounds like annoying problems, but the flip side is....DAMN....3 degrees is effing cold. I'll stop whining about the 10-15 degrees I'm dealing with here in NJ

on that note, I couldnt even imagine dealing with my GT driving in inclement weather. Luckily I got my 91 GMC for daily driving. it's 2 wheel drive, but still vastly superior to the stang in the snow I'm sure.

I'm lucky in that I have a beater in awesome shape for it's age, but maybe its worth it for you to get a beater car for the really bad months. although I'm assuming you might not have a garage to store the stang anyway?

Quick Reply: 3 degrees Fahrenheit