Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Suspension: coupe vs. convertible

Search this Thread

Old 01-06-2008, 11:52 AM
NickSezz
4th Gear Member

Default RE: Suspension: coupe vs. convertible

ORIGINAL: pascal

Very few people race Verts (is it allowed in the US?) therefore they're not gonna make a part that won't sell.
That's why it says "will not fit convertibles", because they're different from the coupe. Not 100% sure, but I think your car has thicker innerrocker panels as well as torq boxes, again for stiffeness.
You would have less leg room in most cases.

As far as subframe connectors, it appears you have them from the factory. Didn't know that.
That would explain why the Mustang Vert is the strongest/safest in its class.

I wish I could help you more...[8D]
Yup I was under a stock GT vert a few days ago and they have some pretty bulky subframe connectors. This is why the rear sways are bent differently.
Old 01-06-2008, 12:17 PM
FyouGitive
3rd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: dsavage

frank s
did the strut brace do anything
It's an easy install/uninstall, and I was able to do a before-after-before comparison.

My observation, based on a series of passes over a particularly upsetting piece of road near my home, is, "Yes, a strut brace did something".

Without the brace, there was "cowl shake"* of intolerable character and magnitude.

With the brace, shake was reduced by what I'd say was 60%, to a (barely) tolerable level. A worthwhile improvement, in my view.

Where passage over the test pavement without the brace made me think, "How much of this can the car stand?" and, "What will happen if it keeps up?", with the brace it was, "Weird inputs that will be over in a few seconds".

* Cowl shake is when you sense the dashboard/cowl section of the car is rotating around a fore-aft horizontal axis independent of other, normal car and suspension activities.
Old 01-06-2008, 12:44 PM
pascal
S197 Section Modder-ator

ORIGINAL: NickSezz

Yup I was under a stock GT vert a few days ago and they have some pretty bulky subframe connectors. This is why the rear sways are bent differently.
I haven't touch a convertible yet...
Not even a collision one, so I wouldn't know the exact differences.
When I'll get one, I'll stick it on the lift and check it all out.
Old 01-06-2008, 02:18 PM
exx1976
5th Gear Member

I'm watching this thread with great interest, too.. I did a lot of suspension upgrades to my last car, and now I have an 06 GT vert.. I want to start doing suspension work to make it better in the twisties, but I have been finding subtle differences between the coupes and the verts that not many people seem to be aware of. And yes, the verts definitely have stock sub-frame connectors.

MG - let me know what you decide on, and how you like it. I'm looking at some kind of lowering spring, and either Koni's or Tokicos, possibly Bilsteins or Eibachs too. I don't know yet. I'd like more input from vert owners who have made these mods already.