Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

About that darn vapor trap!

Search this Thread

Old 03-20-2005, 09:52 PM
TwltPerf
1st Gear Member

xxxxx

Last edited by TwltPerf; 09-11-2011 at 01:08 PM.
Old 03-20-2005, 09:55 PM
td1320
3rd Gear Member

Default RE: About that darn vapor trap!

First of all I would like to explain why you have to re-flash. I have heard people talking about re-flashing like it's the worst thing ever. The reason you have to re-flash after a quality CAI install is not because the company doesn't know what it's doing it's because the CAI flows so much more air that it leans the motor out and the re-flash richens it back up. If a company says it's CAI does not require a re-flash it's because it doesn't flow as much air as the ones like Steeda. I have the Steeda and even though I have a warranty problem that is getting fixed tomorrow which caused my car to loose quite a bit of power I still turned 13.72 in the quarter with the CAI and 14.65 with the stock air cleaner and stock computer tune. I switched it at the track just to see what the difference would be. After I get the problem fixed I expect to see low 13's or high 12's.
Old 03-21-2005, 10:45 AM
clewin73

td1320:
What did the dealer say regarding the warranty after changing out your pulleys, etc... Haven't seen too much info on whether the pulleys are causing some harmonic problems either.
Also, did they care that you reflashed the computer - are you flashing it back before taking it to them? It'd be nice to hear that a dealer didn't flinch at those upgrades regarding warranty work - escpecially when it sounds like it's electronic.
thanks in advance,
chip
Old 03-21-2005, 02:01 PM
hybridmoments
2nd Gear Member

I have the Steeda CAI and just wanted to see what would happen by re-flashing to the stock program..well it was just like Steeda said, serious loss of power it actually puts the computer in the "limp home" mode...haven't taken out my HC trap yet, what is an easy way of doing it without messing up the air intake hose?
Old 03-21-2005, 02:16 PM
clewin73

hybridmoments:
I don't have even have my car yet so bear with me (I'm looking at all of these upgrades), but why wouldn't flashing it back to factory settings do just that - vs put it in 'limp home" mode? It implies that once you load the new settings, you can never go back - which doesn't seem right... I can understand that it isn't programmed for the CAI and whatever other changes to the engine anymore which will certainly be a loss from optimal - is that what you mean?
thanks, Chip
Old 03-21-2005, 02:50 PM
hybridmoments
2nd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: clewin73

hybridmoments:
I don't have even have my car yet so bear with me (I'm looking at all of these upgrades), but why wouldn't flashing it back to factory settings do just that - vs put it in 'limp home" mode? It implies that once you load the new settings, you can never go back - which doesn't seem right... I can understand that it isn't programmed for the CAI and whatever other changes to the engine anymore which will certainly be a loss from optimal - is that what you mean?
thanks, Chip
Actually if I wanted to re-flash back to the factory tune then I would have to remove the CAI...the SCT X-box was custom tuned for the change in airflow...so by replacing the stock air intake, re-flashing to factory everything will be good to go(factory wise)...I'm not sure about other CAI but with Steeda you must re-flash
Old 03-21-2005, 07:20 PM
Lite

The latest edition of Mustang Enthsuiast covers removing this vapor trap. They related that this filter was the same "trick" used on earlier models. The article also shows some other inexpensive mods that produced some pretty good numbers. For anyone interested in removing theirs, don't do what I did. I tried to simply pull it out with pliers like an idiot. It broke in pieces and I had alot of vacuuming to do. There is a little lip that keeps the filter in place. Get a flathead and push this lipdown arounf the edge of the filter. Once you do that, it will slide right out.
Old 03-22-2005, 11:17 AM
td1320
3rd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: Lite

The latest edition of Mustang Enthsuiast covers removing this vapor trap. They related that this filter was the same "trick" used on earlier models. The article also shows some other inexpensive mods that produced some pretty good numbers. For anyone interested in removing theirs, don't do what I did. I tried to simply pull it out with pliers like an idiot. It broke in pieces and I had alot of vacuuming to do. There is a little lip that keeps the filter in place. Get a flathead and push this lipdown arounf the edge of the filter. Once you do that, it will slide right out.
Dido on the trap removal. As far as the dealer goes I did put the air filter back along with the vapor trap and the factory tune back before taking it in but I got in a pissing contest with my service writer about what problems I was having with my car and I demanded they change me to another team. It turns out that the same technician that serviced my Lightning, that I never had to remove my mods before taking it in, was still there on a different team so I was placed on his team. It turns out that that technician along with one other guy are the guys who are putting the same mods I have on other customers cars. That tells me if the dealer is installing them then they are safe under warranty. I left my gears and my UD's on and the Tech said that would not cause the problem I am having. So next time I will leave the mods on and he will fix whatever is broken under warranty as long as it wasn't caused by the mods I made. I'm sure if I had main bearing problems I would have to eat the repairs because I have UD's installed on my car. Hope this helps. Sorry for the late response
Old 03-22-2005, 12:29 PM
clewin73

That is really good to know. I need to keep this handy in case I have any issues - that is once my car actually gets here....
thanks!!!
Chip
Old 03-27-2005, 03:38 PM
TwltPerf
1st Gear Member

xxxxx

Last edited by TwltPerf; 09-11-2011 at 01:07 PM.

Quick Reply: About that darn vapor trap!