Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Xenon blackout panel or ?

Search this Thread

Old 01-06-2008, 02:23 PM
2007CalSpec
5th Gear Member

Default Xenon blackout panel or ?

I did a quick photoshop of my car's rear and really like the looks of a blackout panel. I was leaning towards the Xenon panel because of the glossy finish. I read somewhere that it attaches with 3M adhesive and yet another place says it clips on. So which is it? Anyone have the Xenonpanel and are there any issues with it? Thanks!

Before:

After: Photoshopped panel

Old 01-06-2008, 02:38 PM
mlcrycc
5th Gear Member

Default RE: Xenon blackout panel or ?

Unless they changed something, the Xenon panel attaches with 3M. When I was running it, I attached flexible magnetic tape to the 3M tape on the panel, thereby making it a magnetic rear panel, for easy removal and such....

It is glossy, but also understand that it is really a dark smoked acrylic, as opposed to black. On a white car, you may get some trace of the color showing thru. Easily corrected by hitting the back of the panel with some gloss black spraypaint.....

Hope this helps....

Mike

[IMG]local://upfiles/13557/496FA767147C4C678DE0922744A1E5B8.jpg[/IMG]
Old 01-06-2008, 02:43 PM
TJ
4th Gear Member

I am also deciding on which black out to go with Xenon or Balitomore street. I have read FWIW in my research of past threads on forums that the Xenon does not fit around the faux gas cap close meaning you can see the color of your car around the gas cap when it is installed.

The Xenon as far as I know attaches with 3m tape.The otheroptional I am looking at is the Balitmores street blackoutvinly but I am still deciding.

I haven't read of anyone using the Balitmores here so I do not know how good of a blackout it makes.
Old 01-06-2008, 02:49 PM
TJ
4th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: mlcrycc

Unless they changed something, the Xenon panel attaches with 3M. When I was running it, I attached flexible magnetic tape to the 3M tape on the panel, thereby making it a magnetic rear panel, for easy removal and such....

It is glossy, but also understand that it is really a dark smoked acrylic, as opposed to black. On a white car, you may get some trace of the color showing thru. Easily corrected by hitting the back of the panel with some gloss black spraypaint.....

Hope this helps....

Mike

I was typing mine when you posted looks like ,

I would not be interested in spraying part of my rear panal black imo (also incase I decide to remove it for some reason down the road) but have read some people will put electrical tape around the gas cap before installing the Xenon. Ihave no ideal how good that will look ( ok or not)as I haven't seen it in person
Old 01-06-2008, 03:41 PM
mlcrycc
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: TJ

Hope this helps....

Mike

I would not be interested in spraying part of my rear panal black imo (also incase I decide to remove it for some reason down the road) but have read some people will put electrical tape around the gas cap before installing the Xenon. Ihave no ideal how good that will look ( ok or not)as I haven't seen it in person
You may have mis-understood what I meant. Because the Xenon panel is actually a dark smoked acrylic, I sprayed the back of the Xenon panel with gloss black spray paint, not the car...This prevents any bleed thru of the car color thru the panel....

Now as far as the panel fit around the faux cap, I really did not think it was that bad...Here is a fairly close pic of the cap and blackout....

Mike

[IMG]local://upfiles/13557/F0AC7B2F32E64BC8B88647B3FFCFEC03.jpg[/IMG]
Old 01-06-2008, 03:56 PM
TJ
4th Gear Member

You may have mis-understood what I meant. Because the Xenon panel is actually a dark smoked acrylic, I sprayed the back of the Xenon panel with gloss black spray paint, not the car...This prevents any bleed thru of the car color thru the panel....

Now as far as the panel fit around the faux cap, I really did not think it was that bad...Here is a fairly close pic of the cap and blackout....

Mike

[IMG]local://upfiles/13557/F0AC7B2F32E64BC8B88647B3FFCFEC03.jpg[/IMG]
Yep I thought you meant the rear panal of the car around the cap, alsoafter looking at your picture that looks like like a good fit to me. I read quite a few post on other forumsof people complaining of the around the faux gas cap (paint & electtape)but after looking at your picture Xenon must have made a change in the mold.

Thanks for posting this as this will help me decide which way to go.
Old 01-06-2008, 04:15 PM
TJ
4th Gear Member

For the record here is the problem I was talkng about,scroll down topost#30 for pictures in the below link.
http://www.allfordmustangs.com/forum...t-panel-2.html

But after seeing mlcyrcc's pictures the problem(fit) is looksXenon fixed the problem on thier blackouts around the fauxcap but still might have to paint them for bleed though I guess on some colors.

Old 01-06-2008, 05:06 PM
2007CalSpec
5th Gear Member

For the record here is the problem I was talkng about,scroll down topost#30 for pictures in the below link.
http://www.allfordmustangs.com/forum...t-panel-2.html

But after seeing mlcyrcc's pictures the problem(fit) is looksXenon fixed the problem on thier blackouts around the fauxcap but still might have to paint them for bleed though I guess on some colors.

I read all of the posts in that link and I'm hoping Xenon really did fix the problem since those posts were in 2005.

Anyone here besides "mlcrycc"recently purchase a Xenon panel and can confirm if the fit issue has been fixed?
Old 01-06-2008, 05:13 PM
deekum1627
6th Gear Member

i have the Xenon one to i like it, it attaches with 3m tape and it does show a little paint around the cap i dont know why i just got it for christmas ill post a pic later buti goit athttp://www.americanmuscle.com/mustan...out-panel.html
Old 01-06-2008, 05:15 PM
Fred Malibu
4th Gear Member

If you haven't decided which one to buy yet, maybe you'd consider the magnetic one?

That's the one I have. It looks really good IMO. Its a flat black, so its not so glossy. It fits perfectly around the gas cap and I can take it off whenever I want and put it right back on in 30 seconds..

Good luck either way.

FM

Quick Reply: Xenon blackout panel or ?