Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

jacked up? a newb wants to know...

Search this Thread

Old 01-07-2008, 07:18 AM
ink003
3rd Gear Member

Default jacked up? a newb wants to know...

hey guys!

theseare very novice questions, but since i consider you all to be kind mustangbrethren, i'm asking anyway. and let me just add that until i bought my mustang, i never did anything with my car - now, i'm obsessed and want to become a mechanic
[ol][*]so, when jacking up the rear, is it a good idea to place a 2x4 between the pumpkin and the jack to avoid damage? i've heard that the little ridges on the jack can cause problems.[*]related to that, once the car is up, are the rear axles a good place to put my jack stands?[*]and finally, besides along the edge of the car in the designated spot, where should i be jacking my car up in the front?[/ol]
thanks for the help, gents!
Old 01-07-2008, 07:47 AM
bgoose99
1st Gear Member

Default RE: jacked up? a newb wants to know...

1. Yes. You don't want to damage the diff cover and cause a leak.
2. Yes.
3. The crossmember(?) in the center of the car just in front of the oil pan drain plug.
Old 01-07-2008, 08:20 AM
ink003
3rd Gear Member

thanks bgoose!
Old 01-07-2008, 12:11 PM
wingman75
5th Gear Member

Here is how I do it. I taped a rubber sandpaper disk, the kind you use in your drill to hold the sandpaper, to the top of my jack to keep it from damaging anything. You can see it in the photo of the front end. The photos show positioning. You've got it right.

Old 01-07-2008, 01:29 PM
ink003
3rd Gear Member

that is so exactly what i was hoping to see - thanks a lot wingman75!
Old 01-07-2008, 01:32 PM
rap87
1st Gear Member

Speaking of that, do they make jacks without the ridges? Or something with a smooth surface that has anti-slip on the cup or something...? I have a jack thats got like 3 high ridges on it, kinda wondering if they were thinking I'd like to spear a hole in my car when I jack it....
Old 01-07-2008, 01:50 PM
wingman75
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: rap87

Speaking of that, do they make jacks without the ridges? Or something with a smooth surface that has anti-slip on the cup or something...? I have a jack thats got like 3 high ridges on it, kinda wondering if they were thinking I'd like to spear a hole in my car when I jack it....
My jack has those ridges, some don't. Thats why I duct taped the rubber disk to the top of the jack (as seen in this photo). Its pretty thick and prevents scratching or gouging the car.

Old 01-07-2008, 01:56 PM
marcuskeeler
5th Gear Member

LOL When I saw the thread title i thought you wanted to jack it up 70's style !

Starsky & Hutch ride again etc etc etc
Old 01-07-2008, 02:47 PM
Bluestar
5th Gear Member

Is this the guy bad talking your car Starsky....Yeah, that's him.
Old 01-07-2008, 03:02 PM
Derf00
Gentleman's Relish

ORIGINAL: ink003

hey guys!

theseare very novice questions, but since i consider you all to be kind mustangbrethren, i'm asking anyway. and let me just add that until i bought my mustang, i never did anything with my car - now, i'm obsessed and want to become a mechanic
[ol][*]so, when jacking up the rear, is it a good idea to place a 2x4 between the pumpkin and the jack to avoid damage? i've heard that the little ridges on the jack can cause problems.[*]related to that, once the car is up, are the rear axles a good place to put my jack stands?[*]and finally, besides along the edge of the car in the designated spot, where should i be jacking my car up in the front?[/ol]

thanks for the help, gents!
1) NEVER put a jack on the Diff pumpkin to jack the car up. It's a good way to crack/break it.
2) Rear Axle is okay but in the wrong place you could dent the tube. I would recommend the lower shock mount as a better alternative.
3) You could use the engine crossmember but again, you don't want to damage it. With a car that weighs nearly two tons and a good 60% of weight on the front end, that's around 2000-2500lbs on the Cross Member.

Quick Reply: jacked up? a newb wants to know...