Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

MGW Shifter Question

Search this Thread

Old 01-07-2008, 09:39 PM
dan_h
1st Gear Member

Default MGW Shifter Question

I just installed the MGW shifter in my '06 GT and really like it (firm, solid, well constructed, etc.) butmine does have a distinct 'notch' between 1st & 2nd and 2nd to 3rd. Is this the normal 'feel' for this unit? I have mine adjusted at 5 turns out(out of 10). Would I reduce the notchy feel if I was only at 3 or 4 turns out? (or less??)I'm asking because i 'hate' crawling back under the car (again) to readjust it again (I'm not a small guy and even with a large floorjack there isn't alot of room under there!!)

thanks
dan
Old 01-07-2008, 09:46 PM
mlcrycc
5th Gear Member

Default RE: MGW Shifter Question

Dan,
Like all shifters, the MGW will lose some of the notchiness with a few weeks of use. I have mine set at about 8 or 9 turns out, and yes, there is some notchiness as you noted, but not too bad. One other thing that you may want to try, is adjusting the height of the shift handle inside the car. The higher you set it, the more leverage you have, thereby reducing the perception of notchiness....

Give it a few weeks and try that height adjustment.

Hope it helps,
Mike

Old 01-07-2008, 10:32 PM
luckydawg003
4th Gear Member

I just put my mgw in this week too. I like it, but also noticed its notchy and a bit stiff. Like I have to fight it to put it in 1st and 2nd gear. I set mine to 10 turns. Hopefully it will loosen up after a few weeks.
Old 01-08-2008, 01:49 PM
dan_h
1st Gear Member

Thanks guys, we'll 'reconvene' on this topic in ~ end of January!
dh
Old 01-08-2008, 04:35 PM
phatphil
3rd Gear Member

Dan, like mlcrycc said the higher you raise the shifter handle the smoother it becomes. I've had the Hurst pistol grip attached to mine since I installed it and it was smooth as silk. I just installed the new MGW black ball shifter stalk and ball which is considerably shorter than the pistol grip I had and it does make it more notchy but distinctly shorter throw. When shifting into 2nd with the MGW you need to consciously pull toward you with some pressure because of the spring but once you get use to that its great. The new ball from MGW is top knotch quality. I contacted George at MGW and hopefully they'll make a pistol grip for their shifter in the future.
Old 01-08-2008, 04:44 PM
r3velation
4th Gear Member

is anyone else having this problem? sometimes shifting from 2nd to 3rd, the shifter spins and i have to re-adjust it to keep it centered, it's kind of annoying. especially with my ocd..haha. just wanted to know if everyone's stock shifter spins like the unholy cryptkeeper. thanks
Old 01-08-2008, 08:19 PM
Argonaut
4th Gear Member

+1 "notchy" is normal and it will break in a bit with use. I'm assuming you did your research and thus should have knownthis would be the case. Every post I see about the MGW says its "notchy" or "precise" or "positive" and requires more effort than stock. One thing that I learned (from a fellow member) is to rotate the **** slightly. By this I mean: take the shift boot off. Then, if you were to look straight down on the shifter from above, loosen the allen heads of the bracket on the shift shaft side (not on the shift **** side), rotate the **** slightly counter-clockwise (like the long hand of a clock, you are pivoting about the center, i.e. the shifter's shaft). Tighten it back down. For me this made a nice difference, it made it easier to get into 2nd without having to pull so strongly to the left while shifting.
Old 01-08-2008, 08:34 PM
Rubrignitz
5th Gear Member

Man,,, you MGW users don't know what "notchy" is . I had a Hurst and switched to MGW. Mine is9 turns out. I'd heard that 12 turns out is max, but on the included install cd it said 10 max (for safety reasons I assume). The throw is about the same as hurst (maybe even shorter) and it's smoooooth compared to the hurst.

I can see your concern going from stock, but it's nowhere near the hurst where your hand feels like its connected to the shift linkage.
Old 01-08-2008, 08:38 PM
Rubrignitz
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: Argonaut

+1 "notchy" is normal and it will break in a bit with use. I'm assuming you did your research and thus should have knownthis would be the case. Every post I see about the MGW says its "notchy" or "precise" or "positive" and requires more effort than stock. One thing that I learned (from a fellow member) is to rotate the **** slightly. By this I mean: take the shift boot off. Then, if you were to look straight down on the shifter from above, loosen the allen heads of the bracket on the shift shaft side (not on the shift **** side), rotate the **** slightly counter-clockwise (like the long hand of a clock, you are pivoting about the center, i.e. the shifter's shaft). Tighten it back down. For me this made a nice difference, it made it easier to get into 2nd without having to pull so strongly to the left while shifting.
That may be the trick! I rotated the bracket to about a 20 degree angle from the drivers seat to bring it closer in for easier reach/5th gear engagement. It feels really good and smooth.

I also aligned the bottom of the shift handle with the bottom of the bracket for optimum height/more leverage.
Old 01-08-2008, 09:06 PM
Stoenr
5th Gear Member

You wont even notice anything other than the shorter, precise shifts after driving with it for a few weeks.

Im still on the origional bushings/springs that they sent out day one. shortest throw, shortest height, would not have it any other way.

Quick Reply: MGW Shifter Question