Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Convertible Opinions

Search this Thread

Old 01-09-2008, 12:04 PM
BeeStang
3rd Gear Member

Default Convertible Opinions

OK, I just sold my coupe and am considering a vert as my replacement. Any cons to owning a mustang vert, squeeks, rattles, infamous leak, etc. Any comments about the convertible will be appreciated. I am also looking at the BMW 330ci, Jaguar XK8, and others. The one I buy needs to have a back seat. My biggest concern is that the ride must be tight and not prone to squeeks and rattles! My last vert was Honda S2000 and would consider another if it had a back seat, this car was awesome.

Thanks to all who respond.
Old 01-09-2008, 12:09 PM
4LITER6
3rd Gear Member

Default RE: Convertible Opinions

Saleen S281 Extreme VERT................I think you wouldlike it!!!

Love my VERT!!!
Old 01-09-2008, 12:12 PM
Margarita Girl
Is the tide gonna reach my chair?

Take it for a test drive. Each car will have its own quirks.

My '05 is much more quiet and sturdy than my previous '99 GT vert.
No leaks in either car, even when taken through a high pressure touchless car wash.

Keep in mind the price difference between the Ford, BMW and Jag.
If you are looking for a V8, Convertible, 5 speed with a back seat for ~$30,000.00 it is your best choice.
Old 01-09-2008, 12:12 PM
exx1976
5th Gear Member

I have a 2006 GT vert 5 speed. Squeaks and rattles are definitely at a minimum, but I usually keep the radio up pretty good so it doesn't matter much anyway. When I have had the radio down and the top up, it's been quiet enough that neither the passenger nor myself noticed anything that was worth mentioning.

I have no leaks, and no problems (except with the Skipper 1k - the aux input on it is no longer working - tried two different products, and the radio responds with "no aux input" for both..

I'd buy another one. Depending on what part of the country you are in, now is an EXCELLENT time to buy, too. I bought mine in Buffalo in March of last year. Got it for $3k BELOW invoice. It was last years model, plus, no one usually buys a RWD 300 HP convertible when it's snowing.. It was difficult to take it straight home and garage it for a month or two before I could enjoy it, but I think it was worth it fro the savings.
Old 01-09-2008, 12:31 PM
zkiller
4th Gear Member

No shakes rattle or hums ever in my vert. I have owned six Mustang convertibles and this is definately the most solid of all.
Old 01-09-2008, 12:34 PM
07MustangGT_girl
2nd Gear Member

+1 now is the time to buy a convertible if you going to get one. The Mustang is the best bang for the buck coming in a $30k but obviously there are a lot of other nice convertibles out there. You might as well add a Porsche 911 to the list.
Old 01-09-2008, 12:40 PM
beaustang
5th Gear Member

It doesn't sound like price is a concern for you so go test drive a bunch of candidates and buy the one you like best. Try the Mercedes modelstoo, they're very high quality and ride great. I love my Stang vert and would buy another, but if price were no object I'd be looking at AMG's!
Old 01-09-2008, 12:56 PM
99flhr
2nd Gear Member

I`d opt for the cloth top option, ($230) looks a little more high end and creases fade quicker than the vinyl version.

Unless it`s going to be a DD in salt/snow region, than I suppose the vinyl will hold up better.
Old 01-09-2008, 01:23 PM
ckone0814
3rd Gear Member

Got a new 07 gt vert just weeks ago. I love it and it's much quieter than I expected. I absolutely love it so far.

Seems like you're comparing apples tooranges here tho withthe other cars you mention.
Old 01-09-2008, 01:38 PM
Stkjock
Retired Mod

I do have some squeaks/rattles/noises.... but who hears them with the top down or the radio up?

I do love it.... I can't imagine any vert not having some rattles/noises.

Quick Reply: Convertible Opinions