Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

*UPDATED * I CAN'T DECIDE!!!!

Search this Thread

Old 01-15-2008, 07:53 AM
marcuskeeler
5th Gear Member

Default RE: I CAN'T DECIDE!!!!

All we are talking about here is essentially throttle response. More motor for less pedal. I don't know what level of control the tuners have over the throttle position versus throttle body response, but it's easy to make a car feel different to the touch without making it produce more power, especially at the low end.
Ultimately, the Max HP across these tunes cannot differ that much.

The tuners have limitations regarding fuel and spark, once it's optimim, that's it. beyond that it about making the car FEEL different, that's all.

The seat-of-the-pants performance monitor is the easiest one to fool. Rob the motor of a little sparkle at the bottom end and bang, it feels like a race car at the top! You know what I mean?

You got to realise that nothing is free in this world. Sure, you can liberate a few horses with just a tune alone, more again with CAI & Tune, but each time you step it up there is a limit unless you risk the motor with too much spark/not enough fuel.
To make a ride feel torquey the tuner will retard the spark at the low end. To make it rip at the top he will add a few degrees and play with fuel on the dyno, it's not rocket science.
Old 01-15-2008, 01:10 PM
howarmat
s197 Junkie

ORIGINAL: marcuskeeler

[align=left]All we are talking about here is essentially throttle response. More motor for less pedal. I don't know what level of control the tuners have over the throttle position versus throttle body response, but it's easy to make a car feel different to the touch without making it produce more power, especially at the low end. [/align][align=left][/align]Ultimately, the Max HP across these tunes cannot differ that much.

The tuners have limitations regarding fuel and spark, once it's optimim, that's it. beyond that it about making the car FEEL different, that's all.

The seat-of-the-pants performance monitor is the easiest one to fool. Rob the motor of a little sparkle at the bottom end and bang, it feels like a race car at the top! You know what I mean?

You got to realise that nothing is free in this world. Sure, you can liberate a few horses with just a tune alone, more again with CAI & Tune, but each time you step it up there is a limit unless you risk the motor with too much spark/not enough fuel.
To make a ride feel torquey the tuner will retard the spark at the low end. To make it rip at the top he will add a few degrees and play with fuel on the dyno, it's not rocket science.
Great post and this is exactly what doug is doing with this different tunes!
Old 01-15-2008, 07:48 PM
Playboy06
2nd Gear Member

I have dougs 91 Perf tune, I love it.
Old 01-16-2008, 02:34 AM
RHuckster
2nd Gear Member

I've got the 89 perf., 91 torque & 91 race. I'll stick with the 91 race, a totally different car running the 91 race tune.

Rick
Old 01-16-2008, 02:50 AM
NickSezz
4th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: marcuskeeler

[align=left]All we are talking about here is essentially throttle response. More motor for less pedal. I don't know what level of control the tuners have over the throttle position versus throttle body response, but it's easy to make a car feel different to the touch without making it produce more power, especially at the low end. [/align][align=left][/align]Ultimately, the Max HP across these tunes cannot differ that much.

I also agree...sad truth.
Old 01-16-2008, 02:56 AM
howarmat
s197 Junkie

I dont think its sad....its not like he is selling them saying they make more HP....there are designed the way they are for different applications....you can easily tell the differences between all 3 types IMO and I love to switch them up every once and a while for a change....yes driving a car with a CAI/tune can get boring if you drive it everyday.....so buy changing the tune from race to torq gives me a different smile every so often
Old 01-16-2008, 03:00 AM
06Saleen3V
6th Gear Member

I agree Matt...that is why we all need blowers...because it will never get old!
Old 01-16-2008, 03:22 PM
danbogart
2nd Gear Member

I recently picked up my intake and tunes from brenspeed, but after reading this forum i had to go over to b a m a and pick up one of these race tunes. God I cant wait to get it loaded up.