Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

those with sponsors

Search this Thread

Old 01-11-2008, 06:59 PM
Boozshey
5th Gear Member

Default RE: those with sponsors

Some offer sponsorships at a discount rate. like %50 off and such. Then they have the option to return the other %50 if you fulfill what you stated. I have seeked out sponsorship several times. Some companies are willing to listen, some will hang up or just say no before you have a chance. I still keep trying. I have more time than money and the word "NO" doesn't hurt my feelings.

I have noticed though, like others have stated. You are either in the industrie or have connections...

Good luck though... I'm sure you will need it.
Old 01-11-2008, 07:06 PM
06GT4RAD
5th Gear Member

Not worth it in my book. You do not get to choose usually what mods go on your car. I prefer to have my car look the way I want not the way a company wants it to look to showcase their product.

Old 01-11-2008, 07:10 PM
Boozshey
5th Gear Member

Well you can set a predetermined look. That's how you sell yourself. You have a plan...
Old 01-11-2008, 07:22 PM
06Saleen3V
6th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: zkiller

You dont need a sponsor for that. You can put all the stickers on your car that you want. Seriously, sponsors are for race cars not some kid who want to buy boom tubes and cant afford it.
Was that in reference to the OP? If so, a little harsh man.
Old 01-11-2008, 07:27 PM
SeanoStang
4th Gear Member

lol ^
Old 01-12-2008, 01:35 AM
Scotte28516
4th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: 06GT4RAD

Not worth it in my book. You do not get to choose usually what mods go on your car. I prefer to have my car look the way I want not the way a company wants it to look to showcase their product.

Wow! I love reading from all of the non-sponsored "experts" here!
You do choose what goes on your car and what does not. You do not ever give your car to them for anything unless they are installing something major. Remember, you own your car, not your sponsor! I currently have 3 sponsors for my car, TruFiber, BDI, and my newest is Raceline Wheels, and am in talks with a major tire company. If you have a true sponsorship, you do not pay for anything. I now and will always have my car look the way I want it to uniquely look, and that is what sponsors want, a unique look that people will remember and that will draw attention. Remember, your car is just an advertizing platform for their products. No company wants to or will sponsor a car that looks like many others. There's no benefit for them to do that. Your car needs to be something other than just cool looking on the outside. You have to offer them something that they really like. I've done under the hood as well, and even when driving it, you can eat off of anywhere under the hood. Same goes for the undercarriage. The interior is getting done also, but will be completely in line with the theme of the car. I also didn't only do cosmetics to the car. It is equally balanced with performance and cosmetics.

I am under contract agreements with my sponsorsfor the following:
1. Have their product on my car at all times while under contract, or for agreed upon time.
2. Display their name or logo on the car.
3. Attend an agreed minimum amount of shows per year, for how ever long the contract states.
4. Promote their products in a positive light.
5. Do not have a competitors products on my car or display a competitors name/logo while under contract.
6. Be available for any photo ops to promotetheir products/my car.

As far as "not worth it" goes, well, that's subjective.
I have a few hoods for my car(with more coming)that are all painted alike and interchagable for what ever look I'm going for. Total cost to me = $0
I have custom brakes. Total cost to me = $0
Raceline Wheels is currently making me a custom, 1 off set of show wheels for my car that would retail for several thousand dollars. Total cost to me = $0
I recently did a model photoshoot for 6 page Modified Mustangs mag. article about Raceline Wheels and will be getting major exposure for the car. Total cost to me = $0
The car was featured in a spot on Power TV, more exposure for it.
I still do not see anything yet that would say it's not worth it!

I only do shows with my car. I do not drag race, as I prefer road racing and autocross. Racing sponsorships are different than show car sponsorships, but you still have to offer them something they get excited about, and they want a return for their money, ie. racing in large to major events, being a top contender, etc.
Sponsorship is not for everyone, as you have to make a commitment and follow through on it. But for those who are right for it, it is definitely worth it.
Old 01-12-2008, 01:51 AM
Mustang3GT07
6th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: 06Saleen3V

ORIGINAL: zkiller

You dont need a sponsor for that. You can put all the stickers on your car that you want. Seriously, sponsors are for race cars not some kid who want to buy boom tubes and cant afford it.
Was that in reference to the OP? If so, a little harsh man.
+1 You dont got to come down on some1 that harsh man! Calm down!
Old 01-12-2008, 02:04 AM
ratnacage
3rd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: Scotte28516

You do choose what goes on your car and what does not. You do not ever give your car to them for anything unless they are installing something major. Remember, you own your car, not your sponsor! I currently have 3 sponsors for my car, TruFiber, BDI, and my newest is Raceline Wheels, and am in talks with a major tire company. If you have a true sponsorship, you do not pay for anything. I now and will always have my car look the way I want it to uniquely look, and that is what sponsors want, a unique look that people will remember and that will draw attention. Remember, your car is just an advertizing platform for their products. No company wants to or will sponsor a car that looks like many others. There's no benefit for them to do that. Your car needs to be something other than just cool looking on the outside. You have to offer them something that they really like. I've done under the hood as well, and even when driving it, you can eat off of anywhere under the hood. Same goes for the undercarriage. The interior is getting done also, but will be completely in line with the theme of the car. I also didn't only do cosmetics to the car. It is equally balanced with performance and cosmetics.

1. Have their product on my car at all times while under contract, or for agreed upon time.
3. Attend an agreed minimum amount of shows per year, for how ever long the contract states.
5. Do not have a competitors products on my car or display a competitors name/logo while under contract.
I hadwondered about this topic in the past too. I had a coworker at my last job who had plenty of sponsors (ricer though). In addition to what Scotte said, one of the major points is you need to be committed. That means you have to keep your car beautiful at all times, you need to attend every show you can - winning trophies helps. When potential sponsors see that they are dealing with someone with a proven track record, then they are more comfortable in risking their money and reputation with you. The relationship must be mutually beneficial. It doesn't always just have to be car industry related sponsors, it could be anything, although you'll probably find more acceptance within the industry. Having some connectionshelps quite a bit too. Even if you don't currently have connections, if you have a good personality you'll make these connections while attending (entering) shows, etc.
Old 01-12-2008, 11:32 AM
hardcoremustangs
3rd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: Scotte28516

ORIGINAL: 06GT4RAD

As far as "not worth it" goes, well, that's subjective.
I have a few hoods for my car(with more coming)that are all painted alike and interchagable for what ever look I'm going for. Total cost to me = $0
I have custom brakes. Total cost to me = $0
Raceline Wheels is currently making me a custom, 1 off set of show wheels for my car that would retail for several thousand dollars. Total cost to me = $0
I recently did a model photoshoot for 6 page Modified Mustangs mag. article about Raceline Wheels and will be getting major exposure for the car. Total cost to me = $0
The car was featured in a spot on Power TV, more exposure for it.
I still do not see anything yet that would say it's not worth it!

I only do shows with my car. I do not drag race, as I prefer road racing and autocross. Racing sponsorships are different than show car sponsorships, but you still have to offer them something they get excited about, and they want a return for their money, ie. racing in large to major events, being a top contender, etc.
Sponsorship is not for everyone, as you have to make a commitment and follow through on it. But for those who are right for it, it is definitely worth it.
Well said, by the way can HCM sponsor your car? What also helps is being on a team like Stangpede. I have been doing shows for 6 years now. Just in 2007, Stangpede has received over $150,000 in parts alone. When you work hard and keep your sponsors it will pay off. Check out the team we are in @ www.stangpede.com
Old 01-12-2008, 12:55 PM
Scotte28516
4th Gear Member

Ernie,
In addition to becoming one of the newest Stangpede members, which I am proud to be, I'd be honored to have HCM sponsor my car. It would be a privledge to have your talents put on it!

Quick Reply: those with sponsors