Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Steelership says after 15000 miles

Old 01-11-2008, 11:49 PM
Qusus
2nd Gear Member

Default RE: Steelership says after 15000 miles

ORIGINAL: Sprzout

That's funny that they'd say that...My 2007 Mustang Owner's Manual says to run 5w30 Synthetic oil in it in the reference material for the motor.

I put Mobil1 in it on Monday, at 10,276 mi (2nd oil change; Ford says to go 5k on the oil changes and I didn't realize I was over on the mileage until I glanced at it last week Sat). Oh crap. My car's going to explode. :sarcasm:

Oh well, Ford'll probably tell me that my car's voided on the warranty anyway because I didn't take it to them (I already negated my "free tires for life" promotion that they were running by taking it to the local WalMart and having them do the oil change - and before anyone says anything about it, I have friends of mine who work there and did it)

If you have a Mustang GT where does it tell you to run 5w30 in the manual?? I just checked and it specifically states 5w20 for GT's and 5w30 for the V6... maybe your just remembering it wrong.

Also, if you're using 5w20 Mobile 1 Full Synthetic 10,000 miles should actually be fine... at least it is for the cars who actually reccomend using 5w20 full synthetic running under normal conditions...

Old 01-12-2008, 12:06 AM
mpatilla
2nd Gear Member

I love my Fords, but I am starting to despise Ford service.
Old 01-12-2008, 12:22 AM
lrgnation
4th Gear Member

Before you guys despise ford service and think people are just trying to rip you off with service... Theres actually a point to it. It starts with engine assembly, Top, quality manufactures use diamond honing, which makes it anything only harder than a diamond can mess up the walls. It puts a cleaner cross hatch pattern. This gives the rings a tighter smoother gap allowing you to use a slicker oil. If you were to run with conventional oil in the case you would be causing problems. Switching from conventional to sythetic would only cause you problems during break in. So to seat the rings best would be your first 100 drive cycles maybe, after that you could switch to synthetic with no problems.

Just my .02 cents im only training..
Old 01-12-2008, 02:02 AM
One Bad Stang
4th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: vack75

actually in some vehicles, you can not run synthetic, take some motorcycles for example. My bike uses the engine oil as tranny oil it's also a wet clutch. The manual direct from Suzuki tells me that synthetic oil is more slick than that of conventional which will make your clutch not engage properly. I understand that that is a motorcycle and these are V8 Cars, however rings are a lil rough when new so that they seat to the the cylinder walls, if oil is too slick that could inhibit the process. In theory it could. Now I don't believe it in a car as I changed my oil @ 700 miles to mobile 1. However, I do believe it in my motorcylce, as my mechanic has blown out a clutch in the same bike I have by using Synthetic Oil.

But that is just my experience, and I wouldn't sweat it in a Mustang at all.

i understand what you are saying, but... do you really believe it takes more than 500-1000 miles for the seating to happen?? well, it doesn't. so the tech was either misinformed, lieing, or just plain old full of **it.
Old 01-12-2008, 02:04 AM
One Bad Stang
4th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: mpatilla

I love my Fords, but I am starting to despise Ford service.
+1000
Old 01-12-2008, 02:18 AM
ratnacage
3rd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: Fordfann

Do ihave to fill up the air bags? Or do they do that ?
Actually there is a DIY procedure for that. I think you need to get your car up to about 30 mph, then bring it to an abrupt halt using the back of someone elses car, or for optimum fill performance, choose an imovable object such as a wall or light pole.

But seriously, I've found most (not all) ASE "mechanics" to be the source of more voodoo advice than anywhere else. The reason for the notice is to "take your money." This is not necessarily part of some sinister plot to rip you off. Service is their business and so it only makes sense for them toencourage you to bring your car to them for oil, alignments, etc. I would object to scare tactics, but these notices are usually pretty straight forward - just a friendly reminder, and it keeps their name in your mind. Plus you need to perform regular maintenance anyway, so from ther point of view, why not see if they can interest you in having them do it. I've always followed the recommended maintenance on my cars - sometimes I do it, sometimes someone else does it, sometimes the dealership does it, but I've never had a single problem with my cars either (at least not a problem that I didn't directly cause). Even a Lexus will turn into a pile of **** if maintenance is neglected.
Old 01-12-2008, 07:24 AM
vack75
3rd Gear Member

i understand what you are saying, but... do you really believe it takes more than 500-1000 miles for the seating to happen?? well, it doesn't. so the tech was either misinformed, lieing, or just plain old full of **it.
No I don't, If ya read my entire post, I stated at the end that it doesn't hurt a V8, but that I can understand where people would have a half of a leg to stand on by saying that. Hell I went to Mobile 1 @ about 1000 miles. Actually it's a known fact that you can properly break in an engine in about a day if you do it correctly, (The Break it in Hard Theory).

It's all relative my friend, and it's all good, this is America we're allowed to be opinionated, like it or not
Old 01-12-2008, 07:56 AM
shelby69
1st Gear Member

Most auto makers send some kind of service reminders out. They are based on the average number of miles a typical car of that age has. If you are not near the milage or are afraid to take the car to the dealership, why not just throw the notice away? I get notices from Audi all the time as service reminders. Some are for Audi's I don't even own anymore. I throw them away. The dealership doesn't send them. They are sent from a service who printsdealership name on them. The dealership has little or no control over them.
Also, if you know much about how a dealership works. Usually the person who know the least about how cars work is the Salesman, followed by Service Writers. Consider the source when asking for information. And remember the dealership is a for-profit business. They want you to spend money. And Ford wants you to do the correct services (which are relatively cheap by comparison to Audi, BMW, Mercedes, etc) so when the turn car in off lease or trade it they have good qualitity, well maintained used cars to sell.
Sorry for the rant, but that's my opinion.
Old 01-12-2008, 08:02 AM
Nuke
6th Gear Member

Amsoil 0W20 at 2,500 miles. I have over 11,000 now. No problem. Ditto on Ford setting you up for voiding your warranty IF there's a problem.

BTW, when should we have our muffler bearings replaced? hehehe.
Old 01-12-2008, 08:46 AM
CFLstangGT
2nd Gear Member

These threads crack me up. I work for Lexus, in a "stealership" in the god awful service department.....

no offense intended, but man some of you are the customer that I dread. Come in spend no money and expect the world, wow. I too was the same way until I worked this position. Again, no offense, but wow.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Steelership says after 15000 miles