MustangForums.com

MustangForums.com (https://mustangforums.com/forum/index.php)
-   2005-2014 Mustangs (https://mustangforums.com/forum/2005-2014-mustangs-43/)
-   -   installed BBK intake - PROBLEM! (https://mustangforums.com/forum/2005-2014-mustangs/392934-installed-bbk-intake-problem.html)

surfbum7190 01-12-2008 02:32 PM

installed BBK intake - PROBLEM!

i installed my BBK intake yesterday and now the check engine light is on. not flashing just steady. should i have the engine checked out or is this normal. also i do not have the car tuned yet. will a tune fix the light?

bodyputtyless 01-12-2008 02:49 PM

RE: installed BBK intake - PROBLEM!

Contrary to their claim that a tune is not needed,BBK just like every other CAI needs a tune. I removed my BBK and the CEL went out right away. Then I realized, other then the nice look the CAI gives you under the hood, its for the most part useless. I looked under the hood of a GT 500 ,you know the car that produces over 500 hp with a super charger, and the stock Ford CAI isn't much different then the one on my GT. Bottom line. If you want the BBK you need to get a tune. I'm waiting till the warranty expires before I reinstall mine. I will at that time buy a tune as well.

surfbum7190 01-12-2008 02:51 PM

yea but will the tune get rid of the check engine light?

howarmat 01-12-2008 02:53 PM

yes....you should have just got the tune also, now you just have a paperweight:eek:

Ultrashock 01-12-2008 02:56 PM

Yes, you are running lean by leaps and bounds. Take it off now before you eff something up. It says to switch to higer octane if you experience leaning but DON'T. I just installed mine yesterday after having it in the garage for months as I got my xcal2 yesterday. Order the tune, I've only loaded the 87 since having it and it pulls hard.

surfbum7190 01-12-2008 02:58 PM

bbk says that you can run it without a tune. but if i get brenspeed to tune my car with the xcal2 will this fix the check engine light?

MilehighGT 01-12-2008 03:01 PM

ORIGINAL: surfbum7190

bbk says that you can run it without a tune. but if i get brenspeed to tune my car with the xcal2 will this fix the check engine light?
Yes, a tune should fix it, if that is what the problem is, which it sounds like it is.

smythge 01-12-2008 03:02 PM

ORIGINAL: surfbum7190

YES with the tuner you can turn off or reset the check engine light. As long as the lean condition is cured with the new tune the light will stay off.

Ultrashock 01-12-2008 03:03 PM

Guessing that your check engine light came on after the install, I'd say yes. Remove the intake, disconnect the battery and reinstall the stock air box. See if they check engine light goes away. If so, then yes a tune from brenspeed along with the xcal2 will give you enough fuel to match that extra air your getting.

CataclysmGT 01-12-2008 03:03 PM

Tunes are only required when the new intake MAF housing is bigger then stock.