Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

A Country Drive and D-Spec Test

Search this Thread

Old 01-12-2008, 06:21 PM
Argonaut
4th Gear Member

Default A Country Drive and D-Spec Test

Beautiful day today, took the stang out for about a 100 mile cruise through central PA farm country. I have the Tokico D-Specs installed with the Eibach-Pro springs. I have not spent much time testing the adjustable dampers so today I set them to 7 turns from full hard (i.e pretty soft)for the trip out and then re-set them to 2 turns from full hard (very stiff)for the return.

Interesting results - my seat of the pants testing measured two behaviors: the body roll when entering a corner and the isolation of bumps and joints encountered in the road surface.

At 7 turns: body roll is significant on turn in. When doing the slalom (turning the wheel side to side down a long straight away) there is noticeable roll and the car feels 'un-connected'. I can't feel much of the road. I can certainly feel bumps and joints, its no Lexus,but they are well damped, sort of a remote feeling.

At 2 turns: I immediately noticed the car is stiffer. Can 'feel' the road much better. Very little roll on turn in or in the slalom. Bumps are sudden and have a sharp feel. Going over a particularly bumpy section does upset the car a bit, or maybe its just the feed back thru the wheel is a bit jarring.

Of the two I much preferred the 2nd setting. It just feels so much more responsive and connected to the road, more confidence inspiring. You can feel the bumps with both settings, they are just more sudden and 'sharp' on the stiffer setting.

I think from now on the only time I'll use a soft setting is on long highway trips.

Any one else with D-Specs care to share your experience?
Old 01-12-2008, 06:32 PM
blackout
5th Gear Member

Default RE: A Country Drive and D-Spec Test

I've been on stock shocks/struts for two years while being lowered (now on sportlines, originally pro-kit) and finally ordered my d-specs last week.

My ride has been so horrible that I plan to start at two turns out from hard since i'm sure it will improve from that crappy ride I already have.

-Jeff
Old 01-12-2008, 10:06 PM
MustangBatman1
4th Gear Member

I've had my d-specs for about 7 months now, havent changed the settings since the first day because I love it so much, I'm 3 turns from full firm
Old 01-12-2008, 11:30 PM
FyouGitive
3rd Gear Member

I'm happy with the factory-recommended starting point (five turns out from full hard) as a street compromise. I might like it hardened-up another turn or two if I didn't have especially strong anti-sway bars (Steeda front in the short hole; H&R rear 26mm).

For autocross I turn the rears in three turns (to two out; reduces understeer very slightly).

For drag racing I go full soft front (allows lift and weight transfer), full hard rear (applies weight transfer quickest).

Actual performance increases may be imaginary, but the process makes me feel like I'm putting some science on it ...
Old 01-13-2008, 01:31 AM
PonyGT2005
2nd Gear Member

When I was driving the car daily, I'd usually go for 3/4 - 3.5/4.5 (F/R) for most city/highway driving.

Just as another data point for you, I have found that 2.5/3 (Front/Rear) seems to be the sweet spot on most of the tracks I have run given my setup...obviously adjust based on your spring and tire selectionand other variables.
Old 01-13-2008, 01:53 AM
Orion_240
6th Gear Member

thanks for some great responses! I'm wondering if anyone has been able to compare the D-specs to the cheaper, non-adjustable Tokicos. So far it sounds like if I got the D-specs I'd just keep them on 5/5 all the time for regular driving.
Anybody had both and can compare?
Old 01-13-2008, 03:49 PM
Argonaut
4th Gear Member

Thanks for the info guys. I really like this adjustable thing. It literally takes 3 minutes to change. I'd encourage you'all that have set them and left them to do a little experimenting, you may you find other settings you like even better.
Old 01-13-2008, 03:58 PM
06GT4RAD
5th Gear Member

I run mine at 4 full turns from hard this seems to be a bit on the harsher side but the car handles so much better. I could not handle the floaty feeling when on full soft..