Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Do Mustang automatics "learn"?

Old 01-12-2008, 10:46 PM
FyouGitive
3rd Gear Member

Default RE: Do Mustang automatics "learn"?

ORIGINAL: billyjo

yes your car learns, it is called adaptive strategy . IT takes about two days of driving and the car starts to adjust to your driving for fuel and emission. A simply way to erase your memory is to turn the the key to the running position but dont start your a car so in ford terms KOEO key on engine off. Now push your gas pedel to the floor slowly for 5 seconds and then back off for another five seconds and then wait five seconds and then turn the key off and then start the car. this erases the short term memory and starts you back at scratch. IF you have any other questions please ask i am a tech
That's interesting. There's another version going around that says "ten seconds", but essentially the same routine, and says it's supposed to reduce throttle lag. Hoo ha!

Seems to me there is a section in the manual that describes the steps that must be taken for the transmission to reestablish a "shifting strategy". So many miles of stop-and-go traffic, so many minutes idling at stops, so many miles at freeway speeds, some stuff like that. My question is, Why does it need to learn a strategy? What is the benefit? Eh?
Old 01-13-2008, 12:30 AM
Qusus
2nd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: FyouGitive

ORIGINAL: billyjo

yes your car learns, it is called adaptive strategy . IT takes about two days of driving and the car starts to adjust to your driving for fuel and emission. A simply way to erase your memory is to turn the the key to the running position but dont start your a car so in ford terms KOEO key on engine off. Now push your gas pedel to the floor slowly for 5 seconds and then back off for another five seconds and then wait five seconds and then turn the key off and then start the car. this erases the short term memory and starts you back at scratch. IF you have any other questions please ask i am a tech
That's interesting. There's another version going around that says "ten seconds", but essentially the same routine, and says it's supposed to reduce throttle lag. Hoo ha!

Seems to me there is a section in the manual that describes the steps that must be taken for the transmission to reestablish a "shifting strategy". So many miles of stop-and-go traffic, so many minutes idling at stops, so many miles at freeway speeds, some stuff like that. My question is, Why does it need to learn a strategy? What is the benefit? Eh?

It seems the benefit would be that the transmission adapts to your style. After all, when you drive a manual you don't shift at the same points all the time. You hold the gears longer when they want to accelerate, upshift more when you're driving for economy, etc... Seems from some postings that people actually notice when a difference like the guy who said abovoe that when he first got the car the transmission didn't shift like it does now. Also I've noticed it too... but I wasn't sure if I was imagining it.

Old 01-13-2008, 12:43 AM
noober
3rd Gear Member

Too cool. I always wondered why my tranny acted a little off during normal driving. The first two days or so I had the car, I drove her into the ground (so much for the break in period...)
Old 01-13-2008, 12:54 AM
davidbmatthews

It's called "Granne mode". If it's driven around town like granne would drive, it addapts to that style of driving.
Old 01-13-2008, 08:54 AM
SoFlaGT

I'm pretty impressed with this auto.

If I baby it in town I have gotten 20mpg ... romping on it I get about 17. Not bad for a V8/auto combo.

What really makes me smile is when I do get on it the shifts are pretty seamless. There's no jerking or pausing ... just pulling all the way to the r/l ... puts a huge smile on my face.

On another thread there is the issue of a "pause" when you press on the go pedal ... I've not had this issue so it makes that launch literally instant.

Man, I love this car!
[/align]
Old 01-13-2008, 09:31 AM
First05gt

I am glad for the info... When I had problem with the tranny in the sport trac I knew it said the battery wasnt how to reset it.
I dont need it yet... I bought the 5 speed, but just in case I talk the wife into one, she wantsan auto.
Old 01-13-2008, 09:41 PM
billyjo
2nd Gear Member

the five speed learns also and the trick works with it also, you may think that it shouldnt but it trains the injectors on how much fuel to add. so every month do the reset and you should feel the difference
Old 01-15-2008, 07:14 AM
Norm Peterson
6th Gear Member

I've got a few questions for billyjo.

Assume the car to be a GT with 5-speed manual.

1. How does the adaptive strategy cope with a really wide range of,let's call it "driving intensity"? Where you might be using only 5% throttle one moment but anywhere from 50% - WOT quite literally the next, with no particular maximum point being consistently used. Does it look at the maximum throttle opening used or how quickly you get there? Or both?

2. Does really hard braking on a frequent basis affect things more than always braking as lightly as traffic permits? I'm thinking in terms of fueling strategy during conditions of closed throttle/low manifold absolute pressure?

3. Does the adaptive strategy affect throttle opening vs pedal movement or just acceleration enrichment schemes?

4. Do any of the available "tunes" (whether FRPP or aftermarket) either lock a particular setting in or otherwise shut off the adaptive learning?

Norm
Old 01-15-2008, 08:40 AM
billyjo
2nd Gear Member

good questions all,
1. there are two major contributers to the adaptive strategy, first one is called stft (short term fuel trim) the second is ltft (long term fuel trim). Both of these use the only sensor that reads real time effect on your car and that is you O2 Sensors. The sensors read how much oxygen that is in your exhaust stream, Bank 1 sensor is the sensor that does this reading. Now what happens is The STFT is very fast and reads the instant changes of your foot. STFT reads to much gas in the mixture it instantly changes the fuel mixture by changing the fuel injector pulse rate, THe STFT is only so big so once you reach its limit it talks to the LTFT and makes a major change and resets the STFT to a new beginning. So for example STFT has -24 to +24 in a small grid and then when you reach a 24 it then changes on the LTFT Grid which has the same -24 to +24. So imagine in the LTFT each of the blocks is another smaller STFT. SO they work hand in hand. IF you use a scanner it may say LTFT +12 this means your car is running lean and the car is trying to rich the mixture and add gas where if it said -8 your car is running rich and the car is trying to lean it out. So this is adaptive learning and once you change the LTFT its stays until you reset it and the 0 mark is the starting point. Thats why when you disconnect the battery and your car was trying to run lean and now you just added more gas to the mixture but it only takes a day for the car to change back to the other way due to the quick working STFT. and oh ya thank the goverment for this because its for emissions

2. Depends on application, in a 5 speed you can push the clutch in and use only the brakes and this save big time on gas and on your clutch for down shifting. ITs cheaper to change a set of pads then your clutch, and to the question any time you have the throttle blade open and the MAF (mass air flow sensor) detects air it will add fuel to compensate so the car wont stall and damage parts and you use more gas. IF you brake hard you have a large chance of warping your rotor.

3. Good questions and the answer in a stock program is both, the strategy affects both the fuel injectors pulse width and the throttle poisition on extreme cases, like when you TCS activates it both closes your throttle blade and kills fuel, Thats the beauty of throttle by wire.

4 brenspeed i know effects the throttle response and helps a ton but the Adaptive is there to make sure you dont damage you car by running to lean but running lean enough to get you good gas milage.

I hope this helps and donitions for this class can be given at the door on your way out, Just kidding thanks for asking and if you have any more please ask
Old 01-15-2008, 08:45 AM
GidyupGo
5th Gear Member

One whale of a write up. Thanks for making it as plain as the nose on our face.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Do Mustang automatics "learn"?