Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Fiberglass Hoods?

Search this Thread

Old 01-13-2008, 06:35 PM
bowiel

Default Fiberglass Hoods?

I've been comtemplating getting a fiberglass hood, found a couple of sweet models including the GTS found at such places as mustangdepot.com and mrbodykit.com. I noticed that they all recommended hoodpins and gave numerous disclaimers about ill fitting, unsmooth textures and basically they couldn't be used with stock hinges. Was wondering if anyone had positive or negative experience with their fiberglass hood or any suggestions, thanks.
Old 01-13-2008, 06:44 PM
brendend
4th Gear Member

Default RE: Fiberglass Hoods?

what you have to remember about fiberglass hoods is they are mass produced in molds. over time the molds change and cause problems. i have no warping or dips in my hood but im preaty lucky. there is someone on here that bought trufiber (like me) and had horrible warping. its really luck of the draw.they all need prep work, there well never be a perfect fiberglass hood. as for hood pins. i dont have them installed, yet. but i have no fibrations in my hood ( no more then stock anyway) and ive brought my car to 120+ since ive gotten the hood a few times.
Old 01-13-2008, 06:52 PM
bowiel

Ugh luck of the draw, that's what I was afraid of. Well yours looks awesome, maybe I'll give it some thought. I just want to get the ball rolling becasue I want to put a stripe kit on the car but if I'm going to get a new hood then I have to wait.
Old 01-13-2008, 06:52 PM
RedFire281
2nd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: brendend

what you have to remember about fiberglass hoods is they are mass produced in molds. over time the molds change and cause problems. i have no warping or dips in my hood but im preaty lucky. there is someone on here that bought trufiber (like me) and had horrible warping. its really luck of the draw.they all need prep work, there well never be a perfect fiberglass hood. as for hood pins. i dont have them installed, yet. but i have no fibrations in my hood ( no more then stock anyway) and ive brought my car to 120+ since ive gotten the hood a few times.
+1. I have a Trufiber GTS-2 hood and I consider myself "lucky" in that I have not experienced any warping. I am also fortunate that I have no need for hood pins (although I was prepared to install a set) - I've taken my car above 120 mph and no hood shake. But it could have gone either way - good or bad - IMHO just the luck of the draw when it comes to aftermarket fiberglass.

[IMG]local://upfiles/47849/20B011562CB44C1285EDCA691D1D6160.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]local://upfiles/47849/336497C7DFE340F087B436C8351729EA.jpg[/IMG]
Old 01-13-2008, 06:58 PM
bowiel

Wow Redfire,very nice that's the one I want. I'm just a little uneasy about purchasing something so iffy. Especially the prices on some of them, just doesn't seem worth the hassle, I'm not loaded and don't appreciate throwing my money around especially when alot of these sites want you to verify the package right in front of the driver to establish the hood arrived in unsatisfactory manner. At my housemy roomies are kinda unreliable. Well I have now seen two good examples of fiberglass hoods, now all I have to do is work up the nerve.
Old 01-13-2008, 07:15 PM
americaniron
5th Gear Member

Buy one from Cervinis, and you won't have any problems.
Old 01-13-2008, 07:23 PM
pascal
S197 Section Modder-ator

ORIGINAL: brendend

"they all need prep work, there well never be a perfect fiberglass hood."
Ain't that the truth[8D].
Lots of them need blocking.
That means you have about $200 labor before painting.

While you have horrible fiberglass products, mostly for ricers (bumpers etc...), some companies are better than others.
There isn't one company above the rest though, so you take a chance with everybody.

I have a Stang in the shop right now with a fiberglass hood that's terrible, it's apiece of cr@p. Worth $50 at best[:'(].Made by a well known company here on the Forums thatI won't name.
Not an isolated case either[:@].

So good luck on that quest.
Old 01-13-2008, 08:33 PM
MELLOWYELLOW06
6th Gear Member

The Trufiber is pretty good IMO. All fiberglass hoods need work. Some more and some less. The Trufiber has a great fit and finish to it, but dont forget its fiberglass, youll always need some prep work. Hood pins are not a bad idea either.
Old 01-13-2008, 11:08 PM
ohnoesaz
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: americaniron

Buy one from Cervinis, and you won't have any problems.
+3
Old 01-14-2008, 08:30 AM
Va. Stang
3rd Gear Member

I bought a Trufiber hood from a vender on here and the hood was warped. Bowed in mid fender. They gave me back my money for the hood but not shipping. And would notwarr. the next one if I wanted one. I know of at least 6 other people with a bowed hood from themthat they would not replace. Not agood company to do biz with if you ask me.
All fiberglass hoods need some blocking. Butsome need a lot. You take your chances with anyone. But some are much better than others. I would not ever buy Trufiber again...Not because thier hoods need alot of prep (besides being bowed) Because they do not stand up behind all their products.

Quick Reply: Fiberglass Hoods?