Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

More on Ford owning YOUR pics of YOUR car...

Search this Thread

Old 01-15-2008, 08:42 AM
07BeastGT
2nd Gear Member

Default RE: More on Ford owning YOUR pics of YOUR car...

ORIGINAL: ink003

$.02 ->
[ol][*]i totally agree that this was aVERYstupid move, politically speaking, for ford.[*]however, ford isNOT claiming all rights to your photographs, as far as i understand it. rather, the dispute began because the ford brand was being used to sell something, and ford hadn't approved and weren't getting a slice of the pie. was this a stupid claim to push even though it was copyright/brand infringement (read: illegal)? i reiterate - yes, i think it was dumb as hell cuz it's bascially shooting oneself in the foot, and slapping us, loyal customers at the least, in the face. nonetheless, they're not trying to own all your pics, they just don't want anyone to publish them in a calendar (or anywhere for that matter) for individual profit.[/ol]
Not sure if you read all of it but...to summarize.

"I'm sorry, but at this point we will not be producing the 2008 BMC Calendar, featuring our 2007 Members of the Month, solely due to Ford Motor Company's claim that they own all rights to the photos you take of your car. I hope to resolve this soon, and be able to provide the calendar and other BMC merchandise that you guys want and deserve!"

And

"I respectfully insist that you immediately cease and desist any mention of the words Ford or Ford Motor Company or Mustang in your blog postings, as these are company trade marks and copyrighted and it is illegal for any company or person other than Ford Motor Company to profit from their use in any conceivable way that we may perceive. Thankyou."
^ Posted by Ford Legal Department
Old 01-15-2008, 08:42 AM
Joolander
Lord High Protector

ORIGINAL: 07BeastGT

ORIGINAL: Joolander

....or maybe its because theres been like 15 threads about this already, and the mods delete extremely redundant threads

Besides, the group Ford's lawyers went after were TRYING TO MAKE MONEY by using the Ford logos and stuff in their calendar a without consent from Ford. It's like if you made and tried to sell calendars depicting your favorite NFL Players in action on the field: even if you took the pictures of them, you'd better believe the NFL and the owners of the teams would have something to say about it. It's the same thing from a legal standpoint.
I'm going to have to completely disagree with everything you just said.
Your example isn't the same as owning the car.
To be more accurate, lets say you would be the OWNER of the NFL team and THEN you take pictures. The NFL owns those pictures?
And it's not so much that we're upset about them cancelling the calendar, but for them to say that they own the pictures that we take of our mustangs is absurd.
How many threads are there that ask the same question? "Lets see those black mustangs! Lets see those white mustangs!"
Those aren't deleted.
actually, the owners of the team still do have to get consent from the NFL as a whole, even if it is a formality.

I havent seen the calendar in question, but I'm going to assume that the cover had the Mustang Logo as well as Ford's logo somewhere on it. Is Ford's Legal team going too far? YES! Is that what all lawyers do when they have a case? YES! Am I going to worry about it and boycott Ford because of it? NO, because I have at least enough faith in the legal system that they happy medium with this kind of thing is reached.... except with the RIAA, that whole mess is ridiculous

As for your question about threads asking to post pictures of 'stangs, those threads are still up because nobody makes money off of them, and there's not an annoying amount of them are posted
Old 01-15-2008, 08:43 AM
Burnsy
5th Gear Member

exactly Jason, you guys can talk about this all you want, after all, this is a Mustan Forum, and these were pictures of mustangs, but it isn't S197 Tech... So move it to OT.. Oh wait, there were already a couple threads on it in there...So don't say that this is because FOMOCO is somehow behind the scenes here.. The mods are doing a good job. And this should be moved. WTF does this have to do with anything tech related?
Old 01-15-2008, 08:45 AM
Joolander
Lord High Protector

$.02 -> [ol][*]i totally agree that this was aVERYstupid move, politically speaking, for ford.[*]however, ford isNOT claiming all rights to your photographs, as far as i understand it. rather, the dispute began because the ford brand was being used to sell something, and ford hadn't approved and weren't getting a slice of the pie. was this a stupid claim to push even though it was copyright/brand infringement (read: illegal)? i reiterate - yes, i think it was dumb as hell cuz it's bascially shooting oneself in the foot, and slapping us, loyal customers at the least, in the face. nonetheless, they're not trying to own all your pics, they just don't want anyone to publish them in a calendar (or anywhere for that matter) for individual profit.[/ol]
This guy gets it
Old 01-15-2008, 08:46 AM
ink003
3rd Gear Member

$.02 ->
[ol][*]i totally agree that this was aVERYstupid move, politically speaking, for ford.[*]however, ford isNOT claiming all rights to your photographs, as far as i understand it. rather, the dispute began because the ford brand was being used to sell something, and ford hadn't approved and weren't getting a slice of the pie. was this a stupid claim to push even though it was copyright/brand infringement (read: illegal)? i reiterate - yes, i think it was dumb as hell cuz it's bascially shooting oneself in the foot, and slapping us, loyal customers at the least, in the face. nonetheless, they're not trying to own all your pics, they just don't want anyone to publish them in a calendar (or anywhere for that matter) for individual profit.[/ol]

Not sure if you read all of it but...to summarize.

"I'm sorry, but at this point we will not be producing the 2008 BMC Calendar, featuring our 2007 Members of the Month, solely due to Ford Motor Company's claim that they own all rights to the photos you take of your car. I hope to resolve this soon, and be able to provide the calendar and other BMC merchandise that you guys want and deserve!"

And

"I respectfully insist that you immediately cease and desist any mention of the words Ford or Ford Motor Company or Mustang in your blog postings, as these are company trade marks and copyrighted and it is illegal for any company or person other than Ford Motor Company to profit from their use in any conceivable way that we may perceive. Thankyou."
^ Posted by Ford Legal Department
well, i still think this part "...and it is illegal for any company or person other than Ford Motor Company to profit from their use in any conceivable way that we may perceive...." is where the important point lies: profit is the point here, or ford's lack of it, in this case.
Old 01-15-2008, 08:48 AM
07BeastGT
2nd Gear Member

I didn't say anything about making money from the threads, but you said these threads were redundant and by posting them, I don't believe anyone is trying to make profit from posting information about Ford. (Can I still say Ford?)
I mean, we're on MUSTANGforums. Are we allowed to be here? Who is next?

With the whole NFL thing. If I'm the coach and I'm taking pictures of the team for myself, the NFL owns those pictures of the team that I'm taking pictures of for myself?
Old 01-15-2008, 08:50 AM
Black05StangGT
3rd Gear Member

But wait, money is being made from those pictures...those pictures draw people to this site...this site makes money from advertising, more people hit this site, this site has a better chance to get more advertising because they get hits from members and non-members alike wanting to see those pictures...
Old 01-15-2008, 08:51 AM
Joolander
Lord High Protector

I didn't say anything about making money from the threads, but you said these threads were redundant and by posting them, I don't believe anyone is trying to make profit from posting information about Ford. (Can I still say Ford?)

With the whole NFL thing. If I'm the coach and I'm taking pictures of the team for myself, the NFL owns those pictures of the team that I'm taking pictures of for myself?
as long as you don't sell those pictures, you are fine and they are yours, but even if you're the coach and you sell those pictures there are BIG repercussions
Old 01-15-2008, 08:52 AM
Joolander
Lord High Protector

ORIGINAL: Black05StangGT

But wait, money is being made from those pictures...those pictures draw people to this site...this site makes money from advertising, more people hit this site, this site has a better chance to get more advertising because they get hits from members and non-members alike wanting to see those pictures...
...and Mustang Forums has consent from Ford to do so...I think they do anyway...
Old 01-15-2008, 08:54 AM
07BeastGT
2nd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: Joolander

as long as you don't sell those pictures, you are fine and they are yours, but even if you're the coach and you sell those pictures there are BIG repercussions
Well according to this blog post, that's exactly what FOMOCO said.

"...solely due to Ford Motor Company's claim that they own all rights to the photos you take of your car."

Quick Reply: More on Ford owning YOUR pics of YOUR car...