Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

First Mustang...Questions from a Beginner

Search this Thread

Old 01-15-2008, 07:25 PM
Be Rad 13
1st Gear Member

Default First Mustang...Questions from a Beginner

So I just got my first Mustang! Got a sweet deal on a barely used '06 White GT convertible....and I am pumped for spring. Apparently this car was owned by a 70 year old couple who never drove it! I have a rough idea what mods I want, but I have a couple of questions.

1) I want the CIA+Tuner for added power, butI don't knowwhat the tuner is/does or how to use it. I've seen instructions on installing the CIA - makes sense, but confused about the need for the tuner and not even sure if I'll know how to use it correctly. Based on what I read, would you recommend Brenspeed, or anyone else in particular? Also, is it true that this will improve gas milage?
2) My car only has the 17" stock wheels, but I want 18" chrome. Can I still use the tires on my 17" stock and buy 18" chrome wheels, ordo I need to buydifferent tires as well? Is going with a wider tire recommended? If so, why?

Lastly, I've seen a few pics of white mustangs with blue racing and rocker stripes, and I think they look sweet, so the racing stripes are definitely going to be my first mod. I'm just not sure if painted racing stripes are worth the money versus just going with vinyl.

Thanks for your help! Hopefully once my mods are complete, I'll be able to post before and after pics.
Old 01-15-2008, 07:32 PM
surfbum7190
3rd Gear Member

Default RE: First Mustang...Questions from a Beginner

okay the CAI + tune is the first thing you need. the tuner just is plugged in right under the dash and loads the tune right in. very very simple. you will probably need new tires for new wheels. but a lot of places will mount and calance new tires for you for free. new wheels and tires will run you prob about 1000 which is a sweet deal. and definately definately get the stripes i got em on my car. go with the vinyl because if you go to sell the car you can always remove the vinyl, however paint is permanent. also who knows you may become bored with them and want a new paint scheme. hope i helped ya out and good luck with the stang
Old 01-15-2008, 07:32 PM
surfbum7190
3rd Gear Member

oh and buy the way, get a pic up so we can all see it!!!!
Old 01-15-2008, 07:33 PM
Burnsy
5th Gear Member

you need a new tune to account for the added air that is coming in from the CAI (cold air intake). The tuner is a flash device, that the person tuning uploads new tune files for the car computer onto. It is laughably easy to use, you won't have a problem. The tune accounts for air/fuel ratio, throttle response, timing, among other things.

you cannot use your tires from your 17" wheels for your 18" wheels, you need larger tires. A wider tire can increase traction, especially on the rear wheels.

If you want to go vinyl with the stripes, check out baltimore street mods (A site sponsor)
Old 01-15-2008, 07:45 PM
Be Rad 13
1st Gear Member

Sweet, thanks for the quick response. I thought the tuner might be easy based on what I read, but I wasn't sure. I haven't gotten pics uploaded on my laptop yet, but I'll definitely post once I get em on here.

Still not sure whether to do paint or vinyl racing stripes. i think I'm going to get a few paint quotes just to see what it'll run and then decide. I do like the idea of potentially changing the color scheme later though.
Old 01-15-2008, 08:18 PM
americaniron
5th Gear Member

Congrats on your new Stang, and welcome to the forums.
Old 01-15-2008, 08:49 PM
justang07
2nd Gear Member

welcome to the forum and good luck with your stang..
Old 01-15-2008, 08:55 PM
brad281
4th Gear Member

New tires are needed for sure to the upgraded 18s. What type of wheels are you going with? The cai/tune should be fairly easy to research with all the topics on them. Jlt, c&l are the most popular.
Old 01-15-2008, 08:59 PM
Bulitt
2nd Gear Member

Congrats on the stang [sm=smiley20.gif] call brenspeed they will step u through the whole process
Old 01-15-2008, 09:02 PM
ThumperMX113
5th Gear Member

Sounds like you're on the right track, give Justin at VMP Tuning a shot.

Quick Reply: First Mustang...Questions from a Beginner