Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Bad for the car?

Search this Thread

Old 01-17-2008, 07:18 AM
ink003
3rd Gear Member

Default RE: Bad for the car?

agreed - don't skip second - no benefit there.
Old 01-17-2008, 07:44 AM
GidyupGo
5th Gear Member

Do what you like. I used to start out in 2nd when I had a 4.10 car. Won't save you any fuel though since it causes the car to work harder to obtain the desired speed.
Old 01-17-2008, 07:58 AM
torque_is_good
2nd Gear Member

Parents stopped paying for gas...........Huh???

Anyway, then you are very young. Since you drive a stang, whether your own or parents doesn't matter. I'm sure your buddies ride with you? best way to improve your situation is have your buddies drop $5 toward gas when you fill up. They should not think they are getting a free ride.
I'm sure you do the same when they drive?????????????

There used to be bumper stickers that read

'***, Gas or Grass...nobody rides for free"

Now I'm not condoning the use of controlled substances or asking females for favors, but you get the point.
Old 01-17-2008, 08:05 AM
GidyupGo
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: torque_is_good

Parents stopped paying for gas...........Huh???

Anyway, then you are very young. Since you drive a stang, whether your own or parents doesn't matter. I'm sure your buddies ride with you? best way to improve your situation is have your buddies drop $5 toward gas when you fill up. They should not think they are getting a free ride.
I'm sure you do the same when they drive?????????????

There used to be bumper stickers that read

'***, Gas or Grass...nobody rides for free"

Now I'm not condoning the use of controlled substances or asking females for favors, but you get the point.

Run out of gas, get ***. Use grass, no need for gas in jail.
Old 01-17-2008, 09:28 AM
Norm Peterson
6th Gear Member

The real answer is "it depends". And yes, a 1 - 3 shift is a bit clumsy.

Actually, after looking at the transmission ratios, a 1 - 2 - 4 sequence might be better than 1 - 3 - 4, and physically easier to do. 1st to 3rd is a huge jump, much larger than 2nd to 4th.

Skip-shift is a legitimate OE fuel mileage improvement strategy, andat least at GM uses it as OE (they call it CAGS) to avoid gas-guzzler penalties. Under light acceleration you simply cannot engage 2nd - you actually end up in 4th. Beyond some throttle opening and/or rpm in 1st, access to 2nd gear was enabled. Like you'd expect, the GM guys don't like it very much either, and various eliminators started showing up. Link.

The point is that under the right conditions you will get better fuel economy by lugging the engine slightly with a greater throttle opening than you would by letting the engine rev a little more freely with slightly less throttle, and you aren't adding that small amount of acceleration enrichment that goes into the beginning of each gear for each gear that you skip (think in terms of the accelerator pump in a carburetor analogy).

It's going to be quite driving- and vehicle-specific, and I strongly suspect that GM gained more with this from their 350-ish size engines than you could ever get from the 281. So I'm sure that means that a 1 - 4 skip would not pay off in a 4.6L car of similar weightexcept under the most unusual circumstances. But skipping one gearhas some potential as long as you aren't expecting or demandingsnappy throttle response after the upshift. Probably noworse on the engine than crawling along at 5 mph in 2nd in heavy traffic.

Norm
Old 01-17-2008, 09:38 AM
06Redfire3V
5th Gear Member

I have skipped 2nd a few times, only when i get on it in 1st and shift (about 5K) into 3rd. Other than that I don't skip, don't be lazy brown!
Old 01-17-2008, 09:38 AM
Chris07GT
5th Gear Member

Exactly, back in the day a buddy of mine bought a Camaro SS and it would make him shift from 1st to 4th if he didn't go over a certain RPM in 1st gear. He ended up buying some kind of kit that eliminated the "skip" shift. But it isn't going to hurt anything if you go from 1st to 3rd, I just don't think your going to see any real world benifits from it. Just lay off the gas a little bit. I don't know about you guys, but MPG we're not very high on my priority list when I bought the Stang. I just did about 200 miles of highway driving over the weekend and only averaged 19.3 mpg (damn 3.73's!!)

ORIGINAL: Norm Peterson

The real answer is "it depends". And yes, a 1 - 3 shift is a bit clumsy.

Actually, after looking at the transmission ratios, a 1 - 2 - 4 sequence might be better than 1 - 3 - 4, and physically easier to do. 1st to 3rd is a huge jump, much larger than 2nd to 4th.

Skip-shift is a legitimate OE fuel mileage improvement strategy, andat least at GM uses it as OE (they call it CAGS) to avoid gas-guzzler penalties. Under light acceleration you simply cannot engage 2nd - you actually end up in 4th. Beyond some throttle opening and/or rpm in 1st, access to 2nd gear was enabled. Like you'd expect, the GM guys don't like it very much either, and various eliminators started showing up. Link.

The point is that under the right conditions you will get better fuel economy by lugging the engine slightly with a greater throttle opening than you would by letting the engine rev a little more freely with slightly less throttle, and you aren't adding that small amount of acceleration enrichment that goes into the beginning of each gear for each gear that you skip (think in terms of the accelerator pump in a carburetor analogy).

It's going to be quite driving- and vehicle-specific, and I strongly suspect that GM gained more with this from their 350-ish size engines than you could ever get from the 281. So I'm sure that means that a 1 - 4 skip would not pay off in a 4.6L car of similar weightexcept under the most unusual circumstances. But skipping one gearhas some potential as long as you aren't expecting or demandingsnappy throttle response after the upshift. Probably noworse on the engine than crawling along at 5 mph in 2nd in heavy traffic.

Norm
Old 01-17-2008, 09:42 AM
06Saleen3V
6th Gear Member

I doubt he has the same situation, but my parents also paid for gas when I was in Highschool. Reason being...I had a 40 mile round trip EVERYDAY to a private catholic school that I HATED! There was a nice public school a mile and a half from my house where most of my friends went and I wouldve gladly paid for my own gas if I went there. If my parents didnt want to pay for gas, I wouldnt have went to that terrible private school. Just to note, the public school in my area was very, very nice as well. Just dont judge him yet, you dont know his circumstances.
Old 01-17-2008, 09:45 AM
06Redfire3V
5th Gear Member

My parents also pay for my gas,I'm in highschool too......Actually to be exact I'm in 2nd hour, Web page design right now
Old 01-17-2008, 09:57 AM
mynameismike65
4th Gear Member

Use 2nd......Low line rumble isn't the most pleasant sound

Quick Reply: Bad for the car?