Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

V6 new engine for GT's?

Search this Thread

Old 01-21-2008, 11:08 AM
besam
2nd Gear Member

Default RE: V6 new engine for GT's?

i have no problem with it being a turbo'ed V6 if it makes greater power and gets better fuel mileage
Old 01-21-2008, 11:09 AM
kenthicken
4th Gear Member

Absolutely, they should build a TT V6, but call it an "SVT-6" or something similar... not "GT."
Old 01-21-2008, 11:18 AM
BWfVA
4th Gear Member

I would never want that, If I basically wanted better fuel milage then I would by a ricer. I drive a V6 but I would love to have a V8. That would just degrade the car to the point I dont think I would want it. They could however make like Kenthichen said make a SVT6 or something and I could fly with that but still make limited quanitys of GT and they still be true GTs

and another question to ask Ford would be what would they do if they moved the
GTs down, what would they do with the higher end V8's like the Shelbys, Roushes, and Saleens but then again Shelby already has the CS6 so maybe that is the way the market is going but in that case I might buy a new car sometime in the future but I would keep mine now if anyway possible and make it a GT transplant
Old 01-21-2008, 11:29 AM
jmanpatsfan
2nd Gear Member

If it still sounds the same, goes the same, and looks the same, I dont care what is powering it.
Old 01-21-2008, 12:23 PM
S197steve
4th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: kenthicken

Absolutely, they should build a TT V6, but call it an "SVT-6" or something similar... not "GT."
I like this idea...

They have to keep the GT as V8... can you imagine having a turbocharged V6 Shelby GT? [:@]
Old 01-21-2008, 12:49 PM
besam
2nd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: BWfVA
They could however make like Kenthichen said make a SVT6 or something and I could fly with that but still make limited quanitys of GT and they still be true GTs
thats a great idea
Old 01-21-2008, 01:06 PM
Derf00
Gentleman's Relish

ORIGINAL: MustangGT0405

Here is an excerpt from Motortrend.com

"To wit: there's a contingent at Ford pushing to install the Lincoln MKS' EcoBoost V-6 under the Mustang's hood. The argument is that the lighter, 3.7-liter twin-turbo, gas direct-injection V-6 will produce more horsepower than the base V-8 and weigh less. While better handling, quicker acceleration and lower fuel consumption are upsides for the turbo engine compared to either the 4.6-liter or upcoming 5.0-liter V-8, Ford is concerned the market won't accept the engine. Remember the SVO Mustang?"

I have been saying this for the longest time that the 05-09 mustang will be the last of the V8's. I could be wrong but with CAFE standards getting pushed down and young people being more fond of smaller engines with poweradders I think it might happen.

What are your guys thoughts. Would any of you trade you 05-08 V8 GT for a turbo six?

Personally I would not. 6's can be fast and are nice in their own right but to me a GT should be a V8 and no 6 could ever come close to the sound.

Alright Discuss.
Good giod, this has been brought up a few times already in the last week or two...

If the V8 is going to be kept it will need to be revised...R&D money has to get payed from somewhere so the cost of the car will go up if the V8 is kept and improved upon. There is no way around that. Personally, I'd rather pay 30K for a V6 that is just as fast as a 35-40K V8.

Will they drop the V8 all together, probably not, but expect a price hike or "penalty" tax similar to a gas guzzler tax already being charged to some of the higher end cars that don't care about MPG.

The V6 engine idea is already in the works for the Mercury and Lincoln line. The lincoln line is considered Ford's luxury segment so most of the costs of R&D will be paid for by those that buy the Lincoln and Mercury line of cars. If Ford plans on revamping the 3V 4.6L they are going to have to use it more than what they currently do. 4.6L in the F150 sales dept pale to the V6 and 5.4Loptions.

The people that bitch about relying on gas from overseas or that "something" has to be done to cut our ties to foreign oil are the same people that bitch about not wanting to give up the V8 or pay for that change to happen...Kind of makes it difficult to do anything huh?

As for the SVO, ford messed up on that one. Poor planning and bad timing on the presentation. By the Mid 80's 90% of the market had already adjusted by offering smaller more gas efficient cars/trucks. That idea was about 5-10 years too late.
Old 01-21-2008, 01:30 PM
ohnoesaz
5th Gear Member

I think people need to let go of the past... Times have changed, and for the better.

50 years from now they'll back and wonderhow we could possibly live with these huge loud gas sucking engines when they have fully electric quiet luxurious cars.

Like how we look back at the Model T and other earliest cars.

Its time to move on.... We are stuck living in an in-between world which stinks, but lets embrace the future. Id love a twin turbo V6!!!!

IMO, Ford should get rid of the Mustang name simply because people expect loud big engines because of it. They wont accept change for the future if they're given an old name to dwell on.
Old 01-21-2008, 01:50 PM
BIGMAS1979
1st Gear Member

i have a 6, i would laugh my @ss off if they made the gt's 6ers
Old 01-21-2008, 02:06 PM
kdf101

I personally don't care what is in it, as long as it is fast. I like the power of the V-8, but if I can get the same or more from a turbo 6, then count me in.

Quick Reply: V6 new engine for GT's?