Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

going to test drive a Shelby GT

Search this Thread

Old 01-21-2008, 02:03 PM
brdm266

Default RE: going to test drive a Shelby GT

ORIGINAL: stiggy

ford racing suspension and aftermarket cai with tune and you will have the same setup as a shelby for a ton less
+1 on that. For the money you save you can make something even better, it will just be lacking the name. My vert has similar parts, can outperform the Shelby and came in significantly less than a Shelby coupe.
Old 01-21-2008, 03:24 PM
05GTRedLeather

Thanks for all the replies!

I'm going to go test drive it in about a half hour on my lunch break, and see what the dealer says about it.

It's the Grabber Orange btw.
Old 01-21-2008, 05:30 PM
Orion_240
6th Gear Member

Are you in Calif?
I thought that was another special model for CA only.
I say it's all about what you want and can you afford it. Plus how much ADM is added after the Shelby Package price and the $1000 gas guzzler tax.
Even if the dealer just wants sticker for it your still talking about $40 grand. If you owe over $10,000 on your current 2005 it would probably make sense to just mod your 2005 to look and perform the same. This goes double if it will be driven a lot!
Old 01-21-2008, 05:33 PM
EmperorOfChicken
5th Gear Member

do it! i have an 07 shelby gt (supercharged, Baer brakes, all that fun stuff) and I love the car, it handles really well and is fast as *****. i drove my buddys stock one and it was a blast too. although you will get slightly slower 1/4 times because of the suspension set up.
Old 01-21-2008, 06:10 PM
brad281
4th Gear Member

Forget Shelby. Keep your gt and mod a little.
Old 01-21-2008, 06:30 PM
Novelty goat

Couple of points. First off, nobody here has any idea what your payments are because they don't know what you owe on your vert, what you're putting down, etc, etc.

Second, to the folks advising you to mod your GT and have a better performing car for less $$$, that's fine, but their cars will always be worth less than the Shelby when they come to sell too.
Old 01-21-2008, 06:38 PM
CFLstangGT
2nd Gear Member

not worth it unless you have alot of miles on your current GT.

IMO the value difference is not going to be that great, plus who cares drive the damn thing. A GT with all the mods would be just as fun. Not too mention if you currently have a nice GT it is not a prudent use of your money.
Old 01-21-2008, 06:39 PM
brad281
4th Gear Member

^, yes their cars will be worth less than a shelby. But most important, they will also pay less.
Old 01-21-2008, 06:50 PM
GidyupGo
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: Novelty goat

Couple of points. First off, nobody here has any idea what your payments are because they don't know what you owe on your vert, what you're putting down, etc, etc.

Second, to the folks advising you to mod your GT and have a better performing car for less $$$, that's fine, but their cars will always be worth less than the Shelby when they come to sell too.

Yea the restmod guys are like that. I say get it if you can afford it. You already know what they cost, you know how much jack you have, and in the end, the S will hold it's value unlike the Gt's that will go to the scrap heap.
Old 01-21-2008, 06:53 PM
05GTRedLeather

Well I'm back, I was pretty impressed with the car.
I liked the Hurst shifter a lot, and the car definitely felt more "awake" than my GT, handled better and had more oomph.

Let me clear some things up. My current car is a 2005 GT Coupe with an automatic transmission, the interior upgrade package (red leather seats), bone stock.
it has about 25,000 miles on it, I bought it used for roughly $23,000 about 5 months ago, I put down a $6000 downpayment, and my payment are $380 a month.
I like the car a lot, but I've been wanting a manual transmission car, and I've respected and admired Carrol Shelby and his creations since I got into Mustangs.
I also like the idea that this new car (2008 Grabber Orange Shelby GT) is one of 300, and signed by Shelby.

it looks like it would be about $40,000 for the Shelby.

Quick Reply: going to test drive a Shelby GT