Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Ripped on my 05' GT!

Search this Thread

Old 03-25-2005, 11:16 PM
rednblackdawg
1st Gear Member

Default RE: Ripped on my 05' GT!

OK guys I will chime in on this one. I am an attorney, but not in New York. Most states DO have a three day cooling off period for the purchase of a vehicle. However, this is not a federal thing. Cappi, check to see if you can find a local or state law which says what you want it to say. Print that statute and take it to the manager. Let the manager know that you plan on filing a complaint with the BBB and the secretary of state for NY. Do not threaten law suit as this should be the absolute last resort since it will cost you money up front and the dealership will think you are just crying. I will check to see if I can find the law you need and get it to you.
Old 03-25-2005, 11:19 PM
Perilous
1st Gear Member

Who the hell puts down a deposit before looking at other dealerships?
Old 03-25-2005, 11:38 PM
rednblackdawg
1st Gear Member

Alright man after doing some research, I found that New York apparently does not have such a law. (could have been added recently) If you have documentation that there is such a law, go show it to the manager. Contact Ford also. They can put pressure on the dealer where as the dealer doesn't want to lose the sale. Ford is not going to lose a sale because you are still buying a ford. DO NOT mention small claims court until you are absolutely positively sure that this is a good law still. If you take the dealership to court and the judge smacks your pee pee, you could end up paying the dealerships attorney costs for bringing a frivolous law suit. I bet they are paid a pretty penny too, especially on someone else's dime.
Old 03-26-2005, 12:06 AM
dukenitro
1st Gear Member

There was another guy on a different post with the same issue.

You HAVE to look around b4 you buy.
Old 03-26-2005, 12:41 AM
Cappi
2nd Gear Member

Blackdawg,

Thanks for your input. I do have a copy of what I need. It is in writing that there is a cool off period. I will not go back to that dealership for any negotiating. I went once & the manager acted like such a baby because I wasnt taking his car that it blew up into a serious heated argument that the cops had to come. I was ready to yoke the guy out!

In anycase I have all my proof & paperwork I need. I was stupid for putting down the $205 but seriously, that car is so unbeleivably hard to find in stock at any dealership that when I found one, I jumped on it. I was just extremely lucky to find the 2nd one as it was getting taken off the truck for delivery. If I had called there a day later it would have been gone.

Trust me I looked around, this car can not be had without an order placed & a wait time of around 12 weeks!

In anycase, I was looking to start a banter here, I was just letting everyone know what a peice of garbage Ramp Ford is!! It is so unbeleivable that a dealership would want to keep a measly $205 over getting bad mouthed forever now. Especially when that car most likely sold over that weekend anyway,...

Silly to me,....
Old 03-26-2005, 01:08 AM
rednblackdawg
1st Gear Member

Cappi, I cant say that I blame you. As hard to come by as these 05 can be, had you waited, you may have missed them both. I probably would have put down the money too.
Old 03-26-2005, 03:35 AM
Phillyblunt474
2nd Gear Member

oh well law or not, that dealership is a junk dealership thats for sure. I was buying a truck from a local nissan (Walser nissan in burnsville minnesota to be exact) and their policy is when you give a deposit they wont even cash teh check, and if you want it back, they just hand the check you wrote right back to ya. They are great to work with, way better then this dealership shounds, haha gettin into a verbal war with the sales manager
Old 03-26-2005, 07:35 AM
Broken
1st Gear Member

What was the "paper" yousigned? Was it the forms they use to do a credit check or the finale sale contract? If you gave them a deposit and signed for a credit check they cant keep your money but if you signed the final sale contract they can keep it. Most of the dealers I have bought from have some sort of "Courtesy Warrenty" where you can bring it back within 30 days with no more than 500 miles. Theres some fine print in there also so i'm sure theres some kind of penalty. But I never worried about deposits on cars since I only give $1.00. Just dont see why I need to give them any more.
Old 03-26-2005, 10:33 AM
hawgman
I ♥ Acer

ORIGINAL: dukenitro

There was another guy on a different post with the same issue.

You HAVE to look around b4 you buy.
I am probably the other guy on a different post you are referring to. And it was not the same situation. My situation was that I looked at all 6 dealerships in my area, none had what I was looking for. I put a deposit down on an order and was told it would be 6 to 8 weeks. After 5 weeks and still absolutely no progress, I started searching around. A different dealer had JUST got the exact car I had on order. I went back to the original dealer and asked them to do a vehicle swap, or to purchase the vehicle from that dealer and sell it to me. They refused, and told me that my wait time would be 12 to 16 weeks. I started questioning why the time increase, they told me that would be the wait time and I should have known that all along, and the inventory manager got pissy and told me I could go buy a car anywhere I wanted to....... so I did.
The other dealer knew of my situation, and was very accomodating, and more than made up for the deposit that I had at the original dealer. When the original agreed upon time frame passes, then I am going to start persuing getting my deposit back.

Not quite the same thing.
Old 03-26-2005, 12:59 PM
Derf00
Gentleman's Relish

Did you read your order paper work before you signed it? In CA (dont know about AZ where I live now) once you sign, there is NO cooling off period or grace period to change your mind on the car. Once you sign, it's yours. If you gave them a deposit and it stated on there that any change to the order or cancellation on the order would result in the loss of you deposit, then you can kick and scream all you want. It's within their legal rights.

Caveat Emptor when signing something.

Quick Reply: Ripped on my 05' GT!