Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Ripped on my 05' GT!

Search this Thread

Old 03-26-2005, 01:21 PM
graphicguy
2nd Gear Member

Default RE: Ripped on my 05' GT!

ORIGINAL: Cappi

Blackdawg,

Thanks for your input. I do have a copy of what I need. It is in writing that there is a cool off period. I will not go back to that dealership for any negotiating. I went once & the manager acted like such a baby because I wasnt taking his car that it blew up into a serious heated argument that the cops had to come. I was ready to yoke the guy out!

In anycase I have all my proof & paperwork I need. I was stupid for putting down the $205 but seriously, that car is so unbeleivably hard to find in stock at any dealership that when I found one, I jumped on it. I was just extremely lucky to find the 2nd one as it was getting taken off the truck for delivery. If I had called there a day later it would have been gone.

Trust me I looked around, this car can not be had without an order placed & a wait time of around 12 weeks!

In anycase, I was looking to start a banter here, I was just letting everyone know what a peice of garbage Ramp Ford is!! It is so unbeleivable that a dealership would want to keep a measly $205 over getting bad mouthed forever now. Especially when that car most likely sold over that weekend anyway,...

Silly to me,....
A couple of things....first, cars don't qualify for the "3-day rescind" statute. This is reserved for things like door-to-door vacuum cleaner sales, magazine subscriptions, etc.

2nd...your deposit isn't refundable if you signed a contract stating as such. Usually, out of goodwill, a dealer would return the deposit even if you signed an contract with a "non-refundable" clause. But, that's up to the dealer.

3rd....if you didn't sign a contract stating that the deposit was non-refundable, you have no product or service that was performed or delivered of value that would allow the dealer to keep it.

The lesson learned here is to shop dilligently before you spend your money (or make a deposit), because it's a "buyer beware" scenario in the car biz. I always write on my check when making a deposit that it is totally refundable for any reason. Some dealers won't accept my checks because I insist on writing that on the check. Once they cash it, that means they accepted the "refundability" clause on the check. If they don't cash it, then it's a simple process of me putting a stop payment on it.

Another way to get some "clout" in your favor is to use your credit card for the deposit. Most major credit card companies will go to bat on your behalf if a product or service is not delivered, doesn't meet your expectations or is faulty in some way.
Old 03-26-2005, 09:59 PM
birddog05gt

ORIGINAL: graphicguy

ORIGINAL: Cappi

Blackdawg,

Thanks for your input. I do have a copy of what I need. It is in writing that there is a cool off period. I will not go back to that dealership for any negotiating. I went once & the manager acted like such a baby because I wasnt taking his car that it blew up into a serious heated argument that the cops had to come. I was ready to yoke the guy out!

In anycase I have all my proof & paperwork I need. I was stupid for putting down the $205 but seriously, that car is so unbeleivably hard to find in stock at any dealership that when I found one, I jumped on it. I was just extremely lucky to find the 2nd one as it was getting taken off the truck for delivery. If I had called there a day later it would have been gone.

Trust me I looked around, this car can not be had without an order placed & a wait time of around 12 weeks!

In anycase, I was looking to start a banter here, I was just letting everyone know what a peice of garbage Ramp Ford is!! It is so unbeleivable that a dealership would want to keep a measly $205 over getting bad mouthed forever now. Especially when that car most likely sold over that weekend anyway,...

Silly to me,....
A couple of things....first, cars don't qualify for the "3-day rescind" statute. This is reserved for things like door-to-door vacuum cleaner sales, magazine subscriptions, etc.

2nd...your deposit isn't refundable if you signed a contract stating as such. Usually, out of goodwill, a dealer would return the deposit even if you signed an contract with a "non-refundable" clause. But, that's up to the dealer.

3rd....if you didn't sign a contract stating that the deposit was non-refundable, you have no product or service that was performed or delivered of value that would allow the dealer to keep it.

The lesson learned here is to shop dilligently before you spend your money (or make a deposit), because it's a "buyer beware" scenario in the car biz. I always write on my check when making a deposit that it is totally refundable for any reason. Some dealers won't accept my checks because I insist on writing that on the check. Once they cash it, that means they accepted the "refundability" clause on the check. If they don't cash it, then it's a simple process of me putting a stop payment on it.

Another way to get some "clout" in your favor is to use your credit card for the deposit. Most major credit card companies will go to bat on your behalf if a product or service is not delivered, doesn't meet your expectations or is faulty in some way.
Actually a service was performed - the dealer agreed to not sell the car and hold it for you. The service they performed - what you paid for was additional time to come puchase the vehicle. Read your paperwork carefully - IN GENERAL the three day right of refusal is only for solicited sales. Some states will include vehicles in this, however you may have waived this right on the paperwork you signed.

Now, if I may climb on my soap box for a minute - I don't care what the law says. If you didn't want the car, you had no business trying to convince the dealer thats what you wanted. When you put a deposit down a reasonable person would assume that means your are indeed serious and your are buying this car except for the unknown material flaw that wasn't obvious when you placed your deposit. If you lose you $205 dollars, I hope you learn from it and never do something so irrational again. Stop and think before you sign anything, put a deposit down or anything that can be used to show you will take ownership. Remember, it is just a car. Nothing more, nothing less. And btw it doesn't take 12 weeks to get one. I bought mine in October with no wait. Just kept checking to see when deliveries were expected, later in the week one came in and I bought the car right then and there. climbs down off soap box...

Old 03-28-2005, 04:33 PM
mbkowns
1st Gear Member

ORIGINAL: showam1

I agree with BigDaddyArt,

Reverse the situation, If the dealer would have had a better offer after you left and sold it, You would be plastering it all over the web too.
The fact is it is an agreement, you cant have it one sided, if that is the way it worked they wouldn't EVER take deposits, there would be NO benifit to them.

Yes, you can change your mind, but the deposit is nonrefundable unless spelled out that it is... and what seller would ever do that?

I got burned selling a truck, a guy was sitting in my kitchen buying it and the phone rang, the guy on the phone wanted my truck, but the guy in my house said no
he would buy it, so I told the guy on the phone it was sold. Then the guy in my house bailed on the deal.

Live and learn

you guys are getting suckered. Why are you paying a deposit at all anyway? I have ordered two mustangs and I will see which one get here first but without a deposit. Point blank a retail mustang is worth more on the lot becuase they can sucker someone over sticker on it vs a ordered one they give better deals for.

They are going to sell the car etheir way ...
Old 03-28-2005, 04:42 PM
ChristopherCamel
2nd Gear Member

i'd of just stopped payment on the check right away..if it was only 2 hrs then you'd have time..with my bank i can do that sorta stuff online for free
Old 03-29-2005, 01:49 AM
UhadMEatGT
2nd Gear Member

I know we have 3 days in Indiana. I returned a SVT Focus after having it for the weekend.
Old 03-29-2005, 11:02 AM
graphicguy
2nd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: mbkowns

ORIGINAL: showam1

I agree with BigDaddyArt,

Reverse the situation, If the dealer would have had a better offer after you left and sold it, You would be plastering it all over the web too.
The fact is it is an agreement, you cant have it one sided, if that is the way it worked they wouldn't EVER take deposits, there would be NO benifit to them.

Yes, you can change your mind, but the deposit is nonrefundable unless spelled out that it is... and what seller would ever do that?

I got burned selling a truck, a guy was sitting in my kitchen buying it and the phone rang, the guy on the phone wanted my truck, but the guy in my house said no
he would buy it, so I told the guy on the phone it was sold. Then the guy in my house bailed on the deal.

Live and learn

you guys are getting suckered. Why are you paying a deposit at all anyway? I have ordered two mustangs and I will see which one get here first but without a deposit. Point blank a retail mustang is worth more on the lot becuase they can sucker someone over sticker on it vs a ordered one they give better deals for.

They are going to sell the car etheir way ...
This is just a guess here, but I'd say without a deposit, any Mustang order will fall into the black hole of C/U. Dealer will put a priority number on the order that won't get you a reasonable production date and/or they don't have any allocation for your vehicle anyway. If you don't have some "skin in the game", the dealership isn't going to put any of their "skin" in either.

I hope I'm wrong, though.

Cappi, has the original dealer you put the deposit with sold the car to someone else? You might have a leg to stand on with them if they were able to match the deal you made with another person. Why didn't you just complete the purchase process when you had the chance on the original car? If not, why not? I'm surprised the original dealer went along with you just making a deposit for an in-stock car. There are lots of questions here that need answers which may clear up why the dealer is acting the way they are.

As "hot" as the GT is, I'm surprised the dealer didn't want to close the deal on the spot.....no waiting. I'm amazed they actually even took your deposit knowing they could sell the car within fairly short order. What reason did you give them to only make a deposit?