Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Rear Axle Mis-Allignment?

Old 01-23-2008, 07:08 PM
jmk3
3rd Gear Member

Default RE: Rear Axle Mis-Allignment?

ORIGINAL: dmhines

After my Roush Springs ... my driver sidewheel sticks out 3/4 inch further thanthe passenger side when measured via 1/4 panel lip. I have an adjustable panhard bar to put in once the weather gets warmer to split the difference and get it back in the middle.

Holy cow 3/4" I put my roush rears on & it was colser to center than stock, when the car goes up & down it chages hence the interest in the watts link. I can't figure oe it could go 3/4" out from a 1" drop, it must have been way off from the factory. You didn't measure with the car on jack stands did you?
Old 01-23-2008, 08:13 PM
dmhines
5th Gear Member

I measured on the ground ... keep in mind that it's 3/4 further out to the driver side ... So I need to move it 3/8 inch towards the passenger side to center ...
Old 01-23-2008, 08:19 PM
pascal
S197 Section Modder-ator

You guys have the circle track option on your Stang.

Actually, the assymetry is even worse with the old leaf spring set-up.
All this isn't that uncomun.
Old 01-23-2008, 08:23 PM
Stoenr
5th Gear Member

If you did not mention to the shop that you had the adj panhard bar, they probably wouldnt look twice in the rear. Typically nothing is adjustable from factory.
Also, you are lowered and you did not get adj LCA's? Why not? did you get an adj upper link? Pinion angle may need to be adjusted via the adj LCA or upper.
Also, did you get new camber bolts or plates to adj the front properly after lowering?
Old 01-23-2008, 09:42 PM
ink003
3rd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: Stoenr

If you did not mention to the shop that you had the adj panhard bar, they probably wouldnt look twice in the rear. Typically nothing is adjustable from factory.
Also, you are lowered and you did not get adj LCA's? Why not? did you get an adj upper link? Pinion angle may need to be adjusted via the adj LCA or upper.
Also, did you get new camber bolts or plates to adj the front properly after lowering?
i didn't get the adj. lca's after speaking with fast toys - instead, we decided on the relocation brackets and the regular lcas since the car is a dd and i won't be hittin the strip any time soon. i hope this was good advice [&:] i did buy camber bolts, but the shop i took the car to for the alignment didn't need to install em - all the numbers came out ok. here's the list:

front-
cross camber: 0.1 degrees
cross caster: 0.4
cross sai: -0.3
cross turn diff. set back: 0.15
wheelbase difference: -0.33
track width diff: 0.49

rear-
cross camber: 0.2 degrees
total toe: -0.08
thrust angle: 0.00
set back: -0.18
axle offset: 0.00
track width: 63.8 in.

i really hope i'm not missing something here [>:] i can certainly adjust the phb myself to correct for the minor mis-alignment, but did they not check the pinion angle? do any of these numbers reflect that? do i need adj. uca's? i thought those were more optional than absolutely necessary... ahhh, help!
Old 01-24-2008, 06:30 AM
ink003
3rd Gear Member

bump for some more help [&:]
Old 01-24-2008, 09:26 AM
157dB
Cut & Paste Expert

ORIGINAL: ink003

hey guys
so, i had a bunch of suspension goodies installed last week, and since then i've taken the car to a reputable shop to get it alligned. just out of curiosity, i decided to check the rear axle allignment the other night, to make sure it was even (i have a new phb installed). according to my calculations, it looks as if the driver's side is about a 1/4" off from the passenger's side.
questions:
Side to side out or
front to back out?
Side to side out - adj panhard bar
Front toback out - Adj LCAs.
Old 01-24-2008, 09:29 AM
157dB
Cut & Paste Expert

ORIGINAL: jmk3

ORIGINAL: dmhines

After my Roush Springs ... my driver sidewheel sticks out 3/4 inch further thanthe passenger side when measured via 1/4 panel lip. I have an adjustable panhard bar to put in once the weather gets warmer to split the difference and get it back in the middle.
Holy cow 3/4" I put my roush rears on & it was colser to center than stock, when the car goes up & down it chages hence the interest in the watts link. I can't figure oe it could go 3/4" out from a 1" drop, it must have been way off from the factory. You didn't measure with the car on jack stands did you?
+1
I dropped my rear with the Roush springs and didnt need an
adjustable panhard bar. It even put it closer to the center
as it was out from the factory.
Old 01-24-2008, 11:18 AM
Simon1
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: ink003

ORIGINAL: Stoenr

i didn't get the adj. lca's after speaking with fast toys - instead, we decided on the relocation brackets and the regular lcas since the car is a dd and i won't be hittin the strip any time soon. i hope this was good advice [&:] i did buy camber bolts, but the shop i took the car to for the alignment didn't need to install em - all the numbers came out ok. here's the list:

front-
cross camber: 0.1 degrees
cross caster: 0.4
cross sai: -0.3
cross turn diff. set back: 0.15
wheelbase difference: -0.33
track width diff: 0.49

rear-
cross camber: 0.2 degrees
total toe: -0.08
thrust angle: 0.00
set back: -0.18
axle offset: 0.00
track width: 63.8 in.

i really hope i'm not missing something here [>:] i can certainly adjust the phb myself to correct for the minor mis-alignment, but did they not check the pinion angle? do any of these numbers reflect that? do i need adj. uca's? i thought those were more optional than absolutely necessary... ahhh, help!
I went to three different shops and asked about pinion angle adjustment. They looked at me like I was crazy. Iborrowed a gauge from my buddy and checked my angle and it was just fine.

Old 01-24-2008, 01:12 PM
HDFINDER47
1st Gear Member

After Eibach Pro kit installation mine alsoshifted rear tires (1/2" to the driver's side): Laseralignment numbers show everything is within specs and it rides/steers fine so am leaving alone for now. If it ain't broke ..............

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Rear Axle Mis-Allignment?