Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Questions About Several Suspension Parts

Search this Thread

Old 01-23-2008, 02:53 PM
rshamekh
4th Gear Member

Default Questions About Several Suspension Parts

Hey guys!

I have a 2005 Mustang GT, it's my daily driver.
I will be installing my suspension parts 2 weeks from now. I already got the Eibach ProKit, Camber Bolts, Tokico D-Specs, Steeda Adj Panhard Bar and Heavy Duty Brace.

I will be ordering BMR Adj. Street LCAs, and a Rear Sway Bar.

I was wondering if I need LCAs relocation brackets? I heard you only need them to adjust the pinion angle for drag racing purposes.
But I've also heard that you could use them in case the LCAs adjustability wasn't enough to set your pinion angle back to the correct setting. A one piece driveshaft is going in there soon that's why I'm asking.

Oh and I wanted to ask if the front sway bar delete would hurt handling, or is it just not noticable?

My final question is, are these parts enough for lowering my car properly for everyday street driving, and maybe visit the drag strip twice a year?

Thanks in advance,
Ray

Old 01-23-2008, 03:14 PM
UrS4
4th Gear Member

Default RE: Questions About Several Suspension Parts

You might want to post this in the suspension forum as you will get some experts that troll that forum only.

I have never heard of using relocation brackets to correct for pinion angle, only to reproduce the desired downward angle from the chasis to the axle after lowering the car to help prevent wheel hop. The adj LCA will do the pinion angle correction if needed. The prokit probably doesn't drop the car enough to need serious pinion angle adj, plus you don't have the driveshaft in there yet.

There will be a handling change if you remove the front sway bar but you will only notice it in the corners so it depends on what you do with the car. Drag racers yank it to reduce weight, etc. Without the sway bar you won't be able to transfer the load from one tire to the next to better distribute it so there could be consequences.

Again, your questions are better asked in the correct forum.
Old 01-23-2008, 03:54 PM
rshamekh
4th Gear Member

I thought about posting in the handling section, but I don't get as much opinions as I get here.

Alright, from what I understand, I will need to get relocation brackets, as the downward angle would change when lowering the car.

Thanks for the info. Would like to get more opinions.

MyGT500 won't be here until 4 am, so if Matt was here I guess he'll move the thread.

Old 01-23-2008, 04:01 PM
UrS4
4th Gear Member

Do you want opinions or actual expert advise and knowledge from people who know suspension setups?
Old 01-23-2008, 04:06 PM
Argonaut
4th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: rshamekh
I was wondering if I need LCAs relocation brackets? I heard you only need them to adjust the pinion angle for drag racing purposes.
But I've also heard that you could use them in case the LCAs adjustability wasn't enough to set your pinion angle back to the correct setting. A one piece driveshaft is going in there soon that's why I'm asking.
Relocation Brackets are not used to adjust pinion angle, like UrS4 said - the adjustable UCA and/or LCAs do that. Relocation Brackets are used to lower the axle end of both lower control arms relative to thechassis end. In the stock configuration your LCAs are approx parallel to the ground. When you lower the car the ends that mount to the chassis will be a bit lower than the end that mounts to the axle. For day to day driving this is not much of a problem. However on the drag strip it is. On the strip you want the axle ends to be lower than the chassis ends (i.e. the LCAs should slope up into the chassis). This aids in weight transfer from front to rear during a drag launch.

Oh and I wanted to ask if the front sway bar delete would hurt handling, or is it just not noticable?

My final question is, are these parts enough for lowering my car properly for everyday street driving, and maybe visit the drag strip twice a year?
Yes - front sway delete will hurt handling.
Your parts list looks good.
Old 01-23-2008, 04:20 PM
ink003
3rd Gear Member

i have a spohn heavy duty 1" rear sway bar installed. when i had the lca's installed (non-adj.), it was a good thing i had also bought the relocation brackets. the lca's were right up against the sway bar; we had to mount them in the lower holes on the bracket to avoid problems. i like it that way cuz the grip is sick, but i thought i'd mention it to you in case you run into a similar problem. [8D]
Old 01-23-2008, 04:41 PM
rshamekh
4th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: UrS4

Do you want opinions or actual expert advise and knowledge from people who know suspension setups?
I want expert advise, but I've already read most of F1Fan and CrazyAl's threads about suspension parts, that's where I got most of the information.

So, I thought I'd get some opinions too by posting it here.
Old 01-23-2008, 04:44 PM
rshamekh
4th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: Argonaut

Relocation Brackets are not used to adjust pinion angle, like UrS4 said - the adjustable UCA and/or LCAs do that. Relocation Brackets are used to lower the axle end of both lower control arms relative to thechassis end. In the stock configuration your LCAs are approx parallel to the ground. When you lower the car the ends that mount to the chassis will be a bit lower than the end that mounts to the axle. For day to day driving this is not much of a problem. However on the drag strip it is. On the strip you want the axle ends to be lower than the chassis ends (i.e. the LCAs should slope up into the chassis). This aids in weight transfer from front to rear during a drag launch.

Yes - front sway delete will hurt handling.
Your parts list looks good.
Thanks for the info Argonaut. I'm actually getting my gears installed along with my suspension parts at CJ in Harrisburg as you recommended before.
Old 01-23-2008, 04:46 PM
rshamekh
4th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: ink003

i have a spohn heavy duty 1" rear sway bar installed. when i had the lca's installed (non-adj.), it was a good thing i had also bought the relocation brackets. the lca's were right up against the sway bar; we had to mount them in the lower holes on the bracket to avoid problems. i like it that way cuz the grip is sick, but i thought i'd mention it to you in case you run into a similar problem. [8D]
Is the 1" Sway bar any better than the BMR 7/8"?

I'd probably just get the relocation bracket because I don't want to get into suspension again, I'll do it all at once.
Old 01-23-2008, 05:14 PM
ink003
3rd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: rshamekh

ORIGINAL: ink003

Is the 1" Sway bar any better than the BMR 7/8"?

I'd probably just get the relocation bracket because I don't want to get into suspension again, I'll do it all at once.
i'm not an expert, but i can't imagine you'd notice a big difference between the 7/8" and the 1"...

Quick Reply: Questions About Several Suspension Parts