Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Trying to get rid of a tune

Search this Thread

Old 01-24-2008, 08:21 AM
Mpaint99
2nd Gear Member

Default RE: Trying to get rid of a tune

Probably an hours labor.
Old 01-24-2008, 08:21 AM
ink003
3rd Gear Member

cnewsom3, you're gonna have to get your pcm back to stock one way or another - the dealer reflashis a necessity for you, especially if you're going to be getting a cai + new tune in the future. since your car has a custom tune loaded, the original processor code is now invalid. if you were to contact brenspeed, for instance, to buy a cai and a tune, they would base their program on the stock pcm info, info that in your case is no longer valid. bottom line - get your car reflashed by the dealer in order to guarantee yourself no future problems. once that happens, use a tuner to check the strategy code and compare it to the stock code to verify that they're the same. then you'll be safe for a new tune.
Old 01-24-2008, 08:23 AM
brad281
4th Gear Member

Every dealership is different with charging. It should be just a simple scan of the port and update the software for them. Service advisor should be able to do everything himself, no need for a mechanic. There are some good people out there that will help. it's just hard that most dealerships break them down for profit. You said the 36k mile warranty is still good, but the three years isn't? As far as dodge, forget it. They don't have the software or help you need for the tune problem. They probably didn't know and just don't care.
Old 01-24-2008, 08:26 AM
cnewsom3
1st Gear Member

How do I check the strategy code to the stock code? Do you mean use my buddies tuner again after getting my pcm reflashed to see it it fixed the problem?
Old 01-24-2008, 08:33 AM
ink003
3rd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: cnewsom3

How do I check the strategy code to the stock code? Do you mean use my buddies tuner again after getting my pcm reflashed to see it it fixed the problem?
yeah, the tuner can read the strategy code for you. i have an sct xcal2 and it's simply a matter of scrolling thru the menu.
Old 01-24-2008, 09:12 AM
Gene K
5th Gear Member

Are you sure your car has a tune? If the previous vehicle programmed with the Tuner had not been returned to stock this may be why you are getting the message.

Does your ORX have MIL Eliminators? If so you likely do not have a Tune.

Talk to SCT and they may be able to help you out on the stock tune if you are buying a tuner.
People have lost their stock tune before and SCT was able to put a stock tune file back on the flasher via Remote Access.

Use your buddies flasher to get the Strategy Code from the PCM. The Calibration Code Sticker on the PCM will not be accurate if the dealer has updated the program.
Old 01-24-2008, 09:24 AM
157dB
Cut & Paste Expert

ORIGINAL: Gene K

Are you sure your car has a tune? If the previous vehicle programmed with the Tuner had not been returned to stock this may be why you are getting the message.

Talk to SCT and they may be able to help you out on the stock tune if you are buying a tuner.
People have lost their stock tune before and SCT was able to put a stock tune file back on the flasher via Remote Access.

Use your buddies flasher to get the Strategy Code from the PCM. The Calibration Code Sticker on the PCM will not be accurate if the dealer has updated the program.
+1
Old 01-24-2008, 09:32 AM
sycd
2nd Gear Member

I had to have my car flashed back to stock by a dealer after the Ford racing tuner crapped out in the middle of a download, and turned my car into a warm brick. The dealer charged me about $100 bucks including towing from my place. They should be able to do it for less. It should take just a few minutes.

Old 01-24-2008, 10:27 AM
cnewsom3
1st Gear Member

Well the tuner that I had tried to use was set back to stock, the guy that had the tuner had sold his car and put the stock tune back on his car before he sold it. Yes my car does have mil eliminators on it also. But I tried putting that tune on my car before I had put the exhaust with the mil eliminators. I'm not sure If my buddy still has the tuner or not. If he doesn't and I take my car to the dealership and have it reflashed, will I be good to go on buying a new tuner, or am I going to need to find someone with a tuner and find out that strategy code for my pcm?
Old 01-24-2008, 10:44 AM
sycd
2nd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: cnewsom3

Well the tuner that I had tried to use was set back to stock, the guy that had the tuner had sold his car and put the stock tune back on his car before he sold it. Yes my car does have mil eliminators on it also. But I tried putting that tune on my car before I had put the exhaust with the mil eliminators. I'm not sure If my buddy still has the tuner or not. If he doesn't and I take my car to the dealership and have it reflashed, will I be good to go on buying a new tuner, or am I going to need to find someone with a tuner and find out that strategy code for my pcm?
Which tunes were on that tuner from your buddy when you tried it. Did the strategy code match your car?

Also maybe the car was flashed at some point by a Ford dealer with an updated program during service, and the strategy code no longer matches the sticker.

Even if the strategy code changes, you wouldn't have to get a new tuner. The tune is specific to the strategy code, not the tuner.

I would ask one of the online tuners out there (Brenspeed/VMP/Bama) first, before going to the Ford dealer. Tell them about your situation. They are very knowledgeable and might be able to help you without having you to go to a Ford dealer.

Quick Reply: Trying to get rid of a tune