Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Did anyone ever find the reason behind the dead battery syndrome?

Old 01-27-2008, 04:59 AM
CrazyHorse0217
2nd Gear Member

Default RE: Did anyone ever find the reason behind the dead battery syndrome?

Dealership tested the battery and replaced it under warranty. It's been myexperience that most batteries only last about two years, so I'm glad it went out now before my warranty was up.

Old 01-27-2008, 05:39 AM
07 Shelby GT
2nd Gear Member

I have a friend that has an 06 vert GT and he is having the same problems. I drive a 07 GT which is my weekend driver. My car will sit 1-2 weeks with no problems. He just told me about it this past week and I was stumped. He took it in to the Ford dealership and they performed all the electrical tests and said everything was working properly. They did replace the battery, but he is still having the problem. I would seriously doubt he would get 2 bad batteries although it is possible. I had not heard of the stereo being suspect so I will tell him to try manually turning off the system to see if that works. I will try and let you guys know if this works. Maybe if everybody gives input we will be able to narrow it down.
Old 01-27-2008, 06:49 AM
Goldenpony
5th Gear Member

In each of the past two years, after sitting for 2 weeks while we were on vacation, the car started fine. I have the Shaker 500 system. No apparent problem here. I have an '06 GT 'vert.
Old 01-27-2008, 09:54 AM
alumacomp
2nd Gear Member

I have an 06 GT Vert with the Shaker 1000 and the car sits from November to April. During the storage period I start it every 1-2 months and let it run 15 minutes. Although it starts OK (the battery sounds weak), what Inotice is the stereo looses all of its radion station presets, the time resets, and the radio goes to 590 AM just as if the battery had beendisconnected or gone completely dead....weird.
Old 01-27-2008, 11:53 AM
wingman75
5th Gear Member

My '07 has the more powerful battery included with Fords extra-cost security system and I have never had a problem. The car is garaged for extended periods when there is bad weather and the roads are wet. I always turn off the Shaker 500 manually.
Old 01-27-2008, 12:04 PM
FyouGitive
3rd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: alumacomp

I have an 06 GT Vert with the Shaker 1000 and the car sits from November to April. During the storage period I start it every 1-2 months and let it run 15 minutes. Although it starts OK (the battery sounds weak), what Inotice is the stereo looses all of its radion station presets, the time resets, and the radio goes to 590 AM just as if the battery had beendisconnected or gone completely dead....weird.
That lose-its-memory thing sounds familiar. My 2006 V6 with Shaker 500 did that just once, a year after I got it, and the first time I let it sit for two weeks without starting. Twenty minutes on the charger got it to the point it would start and run, but all tht preset stuff was gone.

Why did I have a charger in the garage? We had a Honda CRV that couldn't stand being left idle for ten days. I had Sears put in their very best, strongest batterythat would fit. The techs said they got alot of similar complaints on modern (2000-up) cars, that there is just too much going on electronically, behind the scenes, so to speak, that is tapped into the batteries' capabilities.

The last thing that stops functioning on my Mustang is that blinking alarm-system light in the gauge pod. I don't have (or can't find) the fob to turn it off, so maybe that is it.

Any road, I learned my lesson: don't let the Mustang sit for very long - it wants to gallop!

Old 01-27-2008, 12:32 PM
DoctorQ
2nd Gear Member

I've got an 06GT with Shaker 500 setup and aftermarket CompuStar alarm. At 11K miles and 14 months, went out to start car after sitting for 4 days in warm garage.. completely dead. Always turn the stereo off before turning off vehicle as well. Ford did replace battery and stated they did a complete electrical system test... all was good (except the battery). Ended up (like so many others) getting a Battery Tender to keep it float-charged if I'm not going to drive it for a few days. BTW, putting a multimeter on the battery while car is running will also show you if Alternator issufficiently charging. I think finding a solution to the dead battery syndrome is like searching for the Holy Grail... forever elusive.