Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Salty Roads = Dead Car

Old 01-25-2008, 02:15 PM
marcuskeeler
5th Gear Member

Default Salty Roads = Dead Car

So, I'm kinda luckythat My Mustang is a toy and not my DD. However, balance that with the fact that I'm in Ontario and have to contend with, not only their Jacked up RETARDED "street racing" rules (Only in this **** Province can you have your car towed off private property because it might be used for racing), but the Harsh Winters and Salty roads.

Well, the car was tucked up in the car lift for the duration but I decided to uncover it to take it in to the body shop, which is about 1.5 miles away, for the Spoiler and door mirrors to be painted body color. All goes well, the day was relatively dry when I took it in Monday although snow-slushy for the ride back last night. No big deal right? I mean, it's only 1.5 miles.

After letting it dry off overnight i go into the garage to look at my baby only to be dismayed by the sight that met my eyes. I never saw so much salt on a car that had traveled even 100 miles in salty slush, let alone a total of 3 ! 3 Frikkin hours I was in the garage. Wheels off, about 10 yards of cotton rag, 3 cans of WD40. At least I have the lift so I'm able to get under it easy !

Thank God I had our two DD's underside Oiled before the Winter [&:]
I feel seriously bad for my Mustang Brethren who have to take their rides through this crap for 5/6 months out of 12

Why do these Plonkers have to lather sooooo much Salt on the roads ! grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr [:@]

BTW, Body colored spoiler looks awesome, body colored door mirrors not so Hot. Still, we live and learn
Old 01-25-2008, 02:49 PM
ThumperMX113
5th Gear Member

Default RE: Salty Roads = Dead Car

Whats wrong with the mirrors?
Old 01-25-2008, 03:03 PM
marcuskeeler
5th Gear Member

Just something about them, they don't really do it for me. The paint job was ok.
Old 01-25-2008, 03:03 PM
CataclysmGT
4th Gear Member

Thankfully, they don't use as much salt here in Alberta as they do down east. Even so, my car is a horrible mess right now. Doesn't get caked with salt as much as yours would.I never thought to WD40 the bottom of the car. Probably a good idea. I think I'll wash the car down really good when I install the supercharger, and spray the underside then.

My car is a DD, and will be for the entire length of its existence. Next winter though, I will have to rely on 20" all-seasons as my 17" wheels won't fit over my Brembo's. I'll only have to avoid a few days a year when there is snow/slush on the roads.
Old 01-25-2008, 03:14 PM
banka87
4th Gear Member

How do I do it?

Get out the hose anytime there was a even a dusting.

Or if I ran over a salt patch during my adventures. That's what really bothers me. Hasn't percipitated in 2 weeks, and I find a frigging pile of salt on a road.
Old 01-25-2008, 03:17 PM
kngdaka
4th Gear Member

They use salt around me in Albany. However, I took my car on a drive to Cooperstown when the roads were dry and clear here. I get down there, only to find that not only were their roads soaked, but they also used a sand/salt mixture instead of salt. That stuff was caked on my car, looked absolutely disgusting. I washed it the next day.

Rule of thumb for me and my car this winter...wash it once a week, no exceptions. If its ever covered it salt, from a snowy day's use, I wash it the next day.

Side note: Marcus, those things you sent me didn't attach to the dash, but thats okay.
Old 01-25-2008, 03:19 PM
wingman75
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: marcuskeeler

So, I'm kinda lucky that My Mustang is a toy and not my DD. However, balance that with the fact that I'm in Ontario and have to contend with, not only their Jacked up RETARDED "street racing" rules (Only in this **** Province can you have your car towed off private property because it might be used for racing), but the Harsh Winters and Salty roads.
I refuse to drive my Mustang in the rain or snow here in Michigan (not far from Marcus). Marcus when I read your first paragraph I was dreading hearing that the ***** towed your car away. Thankfully at least that wasn't the case.
Old 01-25-2008, 03:22 PM
banka87
4th Gear Member

I can't believe they made it legal to tow YOUR car off YOUR PRIVATE PROPERTY because it MAY HAVE been connected with street racing. I would start a class action suit against your government or something. I'm not sure if that stuff flies in Canada.
Old 01-25-2008, 03:32 PM
marcuskeeler
5th Gear Member

I can't believe they made it legal to tow YOUR car off YOUR PRIVATE PROPERTY because it MAY HAVE been connected with street racing. I would start a class action suit against your government or something. I'm not sure if that stuff flies in Canada.
Don't get us Ontarians going..... Lots of noises in the motoring circles but of course, it all comes to nothing. Big Brother is well and truly in control [:'(]
Old 01-25-2008, 03:34 PM
marcuskeeler
5th Gear Member

Marcus when I read your first paragraph I was dreading hearing that the ***** towed your car away. Thankfully at least that wasn't the case.
Sssshhhhh, don't even whisper that. I've had bad dreams about that scenario already

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Salty Roads = Dead Car