Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Is anyone else as bad at shifting the 5 speed as I am?

Search this Thread

Old 03-26-2005, 06:27 PM
Redfire
3rd Gear Member

Default Is anyone else as bad at shifting the 5 speed as I am?

Maybe its my size 13 boots, but I have a hell of a time getting the right feel for the gas and clutch. I always take off at too high rpm's, and tend to let the clutch out too fast. And the shifter sure aint what Im used to like in the old 60s cars. Finding the gear you want isnt easy. Ide really like to get real comfy and professional with this, but so far, it aint in the cards![]
Old 03-26-2005, 06:46 PM
Dare
1st Gear Member

Default RE: Is anyone else as bad at shifting the 5 speed as I am?

I suck at shifting too and I've had years of experience. It's 2nd nature to me, but I'm still always gunning 1st gear, which may not fly too well in a V8. The new stiff V6 I test drove the other day was tough -- perhaps we can adjust the clutch?
Old 03-26-2005, 06:53 PM
Shifty
2nd Gear Member

The clutch has a break in period. It felt a lot better to me at about 500 miles. I'm 17 and I ran a 13.9 with a stock stick, so it's not imposible.
Old 03-26-2005, 07:18 PM
family truckster

I had a little trouble on my test drive, just as I told the young sales guy that I drive a SS Camaro with a M6 [sm=icon_blah.gif] I stalled it at the top of an off ramp [sm=laughat.gif]

I'm sure it takes some getting used to just like my SS did.
Old 03-26-2005, 07:30 PM
biged3
2nd Gear Member

Not trying to brag, but I didn't have any problems when I test drove the 05 GT. It was a little stiff, but my 01 was to when I bought it.
Old 03-26-2005, 07:50 PM
Redfire
3rd Gear Member

I was talking about everyday driving and not racing the car. It only has 281 cubes, so it wont "lug" off the line like a big block Camaro, or even a 350. It likes to start out around 1500rpms, but I seem to always start at 2000 or so. Either that, or I dont give it enough gas and kill it. I dont do that nearly as often now, though. I have less than 800 miles on the car, so I hope I improve in time. As for the shifter, has anyone tried one of the aftermarket ones like from StangShifters.com ? They are pricy, but I wonder if the feel is improved enough to be worth it.

Old 03-26-2005, 08:17 PM
hawgman
I ♥ Acer

Well, I am not any better. I don't have take off issues, but a couple of times now ( depending on the shoes I am wearing ) when approaching a stop, push in the clutch with the left, and hit the brake and the gas at the same time with the right.
Old 03-27-2005, 12:44 AM
dukenitro
1st Gear Member

The reason everbody has trouble shifting the Mustang is because of the HYDRAULIC clutch. It's very difficult to drive it easy "as in just city cruising". Getting on it is a little better, but it is VERY hard to be easy & SMOOTH.

If any of you are in to crotch rockets it's kinda like driving a Honda CBR 600 or 900 vs. a Suzuki Hayabusa. The Busa has a hydraulic clutch mutch like our stangs. Most people who drive the busa's stall them the first time because they aren't use to the hydralic clutch.

The hydraulic clutch is either ON or OFF. It doesn't really finesse out like in a BMW or any other regular cluthes.

So there you have it. All of you guys who think you can't drive stick anymore, don't get down on yourself. It's just this type of clutch you need to get use to. Then again, you can always go back to drivin a SLOOOWW car.
Old 03-27-2005, 01:01 AM
Redfire
3rd Gear Member

Thanks for the input. I thought I was losin it. I guess its tough for many of us.
Old 03-27-2005, 01:05 AM
05_Bullitt
I ♥ Acer

Just do like me... I simply plan on burning rubber EVERY launch!

Rev it up and dump the clutch! It's a friggin GT!

No problems here, dude!

Quick Reply: Is anyone else as bad at shifting the 5 speed as I am?