Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Headlight lense removal, how to

Search this Thread

Old 01-26-2008, 08:58 AM
Va. Stang
3rd Gear Member

Default Headlight lense removal, how to

do it? I purchased a extra set of headlights and would like to paint the inside to match the Stang. Anyone know how to remove the lense and still be able to put it back on when done painting. Thanks. P.s.I did a search but had no luck.
Old 01-26-2008, 09:51 AM
tungsten07
2nd Gear Member

Default RE: Headlight lense removal, how to

you have to cut the lens apart with a dremel and then basicly glue it back together. i hear it's not very easy and you can easily make your headlights look like crap if you don't know what you are doing (if it's not air tight you WILL get fogged headlights)
Old 01-26-2008, 10:24 AM
Va. Stang
3rd Gear Member

From the rummors I've heard is that they are put in the oven for a time and temp that I don't know.I would guess that releases that sealant on the clear cover. Then you pry apart. I would like to have the details from someone who has done it. Anyone?.Thank you please.
Old 01-26-2008, 10:26 AM
allj
2nd Gear Member

I did mine last weekend. Well atleast took them apart.If you have oem lights then you will need to break/cut three of the tabs around the lense. Get your heat gun or hair dryer outand start heating a corner and about4 inch oneach of the sides of the corner. Take a flat screw driver or small puddyknife and start slowlypulling it apart. I personally did this all the way arounduntilI could get a grip with my fingers on one of the corners.OnceIcould do that Iheated the entire seam and just pulled it apart..... Time and heat are your friend.... I also did this to an extra set I got offebay for $64 a light. I just am waiting for it to warm up soI can paint them....

Hope this helps.....
Old 01-26-2008, 10:29 AM
schapman
4th Gear Member

Ive done is on an Audi A4. I put them in the oven at 170 degrees for 5-10 minutes. Then you can pull the lense off. I dont know if there's a difference in a Ford headlights though
Old 01-26-2008, 10:45 AM
Boozshey
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: schapman

Ive done is on an Audi A4. I put them in the oven at 170 degrees for 5-10 minutes. Then you can pull the lense off. I dont know if there's a difference in a Ford headlights though
+1 you saved me some typing my friend...
Old 01-26-2008, 11:19 AM
pnandy
2nd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: allj

I did mine last weekend. Well atleast took them apart.If you have oem lights then you will need to break/cut three of the tabs around the lense. Get your heat gun or hair dryer outand start heating a corner and about4 inch oneach of the sides of the corner. Take a flat screw driver or small puddyknife and start slowlypulling it apart. I personally did this all the way arounduntilI could get a grip with my fingers on one of the corners.OnceIcould do that Iheated the entire seam and just pulled it apart..... Time and heat are your friend.... I also did this to an extra set I got offebay for $64 a light. I just am waiting for it to warm up soI can paint them....

Hope this helps.....
+1 this is how i did itbut after reheating to attachi used some clear windshield silicone and re sealed mine never had a problem. I used the extra silicone b/c some of the orginal seal came completely off
Old 01-26-2008, 04:51 PM
Va. Stang
3rd Gear Member

Thanks guys. I picked up a spare set for 30 bucks apiece on e-bay a month ago. Figured it was cheap enough to try. I want to paint just the innerpanel the color of the car and leave the back plate black to have the vertical black stripes show up. I wil give it a try this week.
Old 01-26-2008, 06:51 PM
TPony
6th Gear Member

Always learning something new here...
Old 01-26-2008, 07:45 PM
jc63_
2nd Gear Member

I'm surprised there aren't any aftermarket people selling the color matching ones...I see them in magazines and pictures all the time....

Quick Reply: Headlight lense removal, how to