Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Tire reviews needed!

Search this Thread

Old 01-29-2008, 05:17 AM
redxls
2nd Gear Member

Default RE: Tire reviews needed!

there are only a few major tire manufacturing companies out there. I am not familiar with the brands listed specifically but a little reserch will figure out if they are subsidiaries of other comapnies. motor trend did an article awhile back comaparing major tire brands to a pep boys brand of the same rating. they found that other than noise the pep boys tire had essentially the same performance. just an example of how an off brand can yield good results. I do not have alink to the article. it was a few years ago.
Old 01-29-2008, 06:07 AM
ckone0814
3rd Gear Member

Not sure what's in the non-"junk" catergory but in the 255/50 size there isn't much that I've been able to find...BFG KDWS which aren't available and Bridgestone RE750.
Old 01-29-2008, 08:48 AM
phatphil
3rd Gear Member

+1 Nexen [sm=bangbang.gif][sm=bounceybounce.gif]
Old 01-29-2008, 11:55 AM
P Zero
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: UrS4

While I do think you get what you pay for, there are always exceptions.

So PZero, you actually have experience with all those tires or you are just throwing the "junk" statement around to emphasize your seemingly unwarranted dislike for them. No data or even hearsay?

An expensive tire doesn't make it better, Pirelli and Continential tires historically run big $$ but have average to poor reviews. Pilot sports seem to follow the adage.

I know you think Kumho's are cheap Korean crap but the victor racers andeven theEcsta MX street tiresare loved by autoX and track junkies.

I used to be a tire buster and Ive "tried out" more tires than most people. Rikens are junk. Sure theyre made by Michelin but theyre still NOT a michelin, thats why they only cost a fraction of the Michelins.

ANd personally, Ive had very good luck with both Pirelli's and Continentals, but those were the higher end tires, Contisport and P-zero's. The non high end Pirellis that I tried I absolutely loved, the P600. Its probably one of the best rain tires Ive ever driven on. It had horrible beltseperation issues though [&o], I went through 3 sets (warrantied)....but then again I might've exceeded the speed rating on them, they were H rated (old school) 139 mph.

As for Kumho, theyre a great tire for the money. Theyve been around for a while now and have established themselves as a reputable tire company. Good quality, and if maintained properly can last a while also.

heres my experience no name brand tires, usually, they are not true at all (meaning round), the tread isnot consistantly straight, they look like they have shifted belts. But thats perfectly normal. I work at a dealer where the parts manager before mo would put no name brand tires on cars. They ALL come back with ride quality issues. Once I switch them out with a "good" tire, no more issues.
-P.
Old 01-29-2008, 12:05 PM
Stoenr
5th Gear Member

Born and raised a tire buster, lol. Started at my families Goodyear when I was 15, now 33 manage a Goodyear store.

uGH, 18 years, I need a new job, lol
Old 01-29-2008, 12:11 PM
05MustangSally
4th Gear Member

I originally had the BFG Radials and those we junk!

A month ago, Igot the Riken Raptor ZR and couldn't be happier. We've been having insane rain before I got them. These tires have not lost traction YET and they stick. The BFGs always lost traction, wouldn't stick in the rain, and the right passenger tire went flat. I feel like I have a lot more control on the road. I have no complaints yet
Old 01-29-2008, 03:29 PM
YellowFlame
2nd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: UrS4

Anybody actually running any of these brands?
There are some really good tires out there for little money.[/align]There are some really crappy tires out there at really premium prices too.[/align][/align]I'm running Riken Raptor ZRs. (Never heard of GTs and Google hasn't either.) 255/45R18[/align]They are FAR superior to the PZeros that came on the car. Those were harsh and didn't grip. I have absolutely no complaints with the Raptors. They balanced with nearly no weight, they are smooth and quiet and they grip. I've pushed them hard and braked hard, they don't come loose. And they are wonderful in the rain, and it rains heavily here. I'm a firm believer in driectinal tread with rain-shedding pattern, and these do better than I thought they would.[/align][/align]Paid some rediculous low price like $360 for the set, shipped. I can look up where I got them, the info isn't here at the office.[/align]The only drawback is if you need to drive your ponyin winter, they are a Summer tire. We've experienced no cold weather issues, but whenthe weather isreally bad we both drive 4x4s...[/align]Treadwear will probably be fairly low, but I'm not too worried about that, it's not a high mileage car anway.[/align][/align]
Seem like great tires, and for the money they are terrific. [/align]I've owned many sets of tires over the 30+ years I've been driving. I've had ContiSports - would never own them again. I've liked Kumhos in truck tires, streetish SUV tires,and sporty car tires. [/align]Consistently the worst tires (of any type for any vehicle) I've owned were Goodyears. They are now on my "never again" list.[/align]
[/align]
Old 01-29-2008, 03:33 PM
Stoenr
5th Gear Member

Fill me in on what Goodyears you ran, on what car, and what you did not like about them.
They certainly would not be in the business this long, nor have the O.E. fitment range they do if they were never again buy tires.
Old 01-29-2008, 04:23 PM
YellowFlame
2nd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: Stoenr

Fill me in on what Goodyears you ran, on what car, and what you did not like about them.
They certainly would not be in the business this long, nor have the O.E. fitment range they do if they were never again buy tires.
That is a logical argument.I would think the same, if I had not had my experienced.(Although I wonder how much contracting OEM price-point tires keeps the big mfs in business.)
I can only relate my experience, but I've known quite a few others who have shared my experiences with Goodyears.

I have never, ever had any tire 'go bad' after purchase.
I have had brand new tires be bad from the factory, but those are found and fixed as soon as youinstall them.I had 3 out of a set of 4 bad once! What are the freakin odds of that? (Coopers by the way.) All 3 replacements were fine though, and went on to be some of favorite tires.
Anyway, once on the car, no matter what brand, every single tire I've owned has then done its job.
Except Goodyears.
Every set of Goodyears I've ever had has had at least one blow up, break a belt, chronic flats - something. One set of RT/Ss had 3 go bad (self destruct at highway speed) within 15,000 miles! GSAs had flats, over and over and over again.
And none had good grip, wheelspin, poor braking tractionand poor cornering grip -especailly in wet weather - for all of them!
Trying remember now - GSA, RT/S, FSA, and GTIIs if I remember right. Everyonecalled the car tires Screaming Eagles because they squeeled on corners at the slightest provocation and didn't grip worth a darn.

Anyway that's only my experience. Bad enough I will never buy another Goodyear tire.
Old 01-29-2008, 04:58 PM
Stoenr
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: YellowFlame

That is a logical argument.I would think the same, if I had not had my experienced.(Although I wonder how much contracting OEM price-point tires keeps the big mfs in business.)
I can only relate my experience, but I've known quite a few others who have shared my experiences with Goodyears.

I have never, ever had any tire 'go bad' after purchase.
I have had brand new tires be bad from the factory, but those are found and fixed as soon as youinstall them.I had 3 out of a set of 4 bad once! What are the freakin odds of that? (Coopers by the way.) All 3 replacements were fine though, and went on to be some of favorite tires.
Anyway, once on the car, no matter what brand, every single tire I've owned has then done its job.
Except Goodyears.
Every set of Goodyears I've ever had has had at least one blow up, break a belt, chronic flats - something. One set of RT/Ss had 3 go bad (self destruct at highway speed) within 15,000 miles! GSAs had flats, over and over and over again.
And none had good grip, wheelspin, poor braking tractionand poor cornering grip -especailly in wet weather - for all of them!
Trying remember now - GSA, RT/S, FSA, and GTIIs if I remember right. Everyonecalled the car tires Screaming Eagles because they squeeled on corners at the slightest provocation and didn't grip worth a darn.

Anyway that's only my experience. Bad enough I will never buy another Goodyear tire.
Thanks for the response, I always love to hear about the products I deal with on a daily basis, either negative or positive.
The GS-A is fairly old design, but was liked by many. Its only made in a few sizes now. The RT/S has played out its time as a mid range tire. It is being discontinued as we type. The FSA, I'm thinking maybe RS-A? Is a great performance tire, its used on a lot of the squad cars, and OE on a lot of sporty cars. I'm surprised to hear complaints on that one. The GTII is economy performance tire. I have ran many of those down to nothing and never really had a problem.
As far as having belt separations or tire failures, its very rare. If a tire fails/blows out, 99.9% of the time something caused the tire to lose air. Most of the time on the Hwy, and the tire is ran on low pressure, causing extreme heat build up and the tire to disintegrate from the inside. Resulting in a extreme tire failure where the tire looks like Swiss cheese.

Sory you had such crappy luck with them. Of course its all I run, and all my family runs and I have never had an issue. As far as tire adjustments for belt seperations, hardly ever.

Quick Reply: Tire reviews needed!