Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

MGW Short Throw

Search this Thread

Old 01-31-2008, 07:49 PM
ThumperMX113
5th Gear Member

Default RE: MGW Short Throw

ORIGINAL: Rubrignitz

They never did with me. It just showed up. I order a lot of stuff online. Don't always expect an "amazon.com" type update with track #, etc. It's nice but smaller companies don't do it.

That's why I LOVE Summit (www.summitracing.com). GREAT customer service, you always get a warm fuzzy feeling with those guys. They've got it down. Even if they cost a bit more I go with them if I can. Professional service!

And you always get a free sticker/hat. I've got so many summit racing hats that I give them away to friends....
Damn, I was hoping I'd get at least a tracking number. I hate not knowing when something is coming in. Oh well.. it'll just make the wait that much harder. I'm dying to get this thing installed.

I feel the same way about Summit, not to mention almost all of their sales reps know what they're talking about. I've never had one that couldn't help me with something. Now that's good customer service.
Old 01-31-2008, 08:21 PM
w1ck3dr1
2nd Gear Member

man, i can't wait for parts that long, i am too impatient. it kills me when i order things and wait, i can't sleep at night. sometimes i just pay localshops that have them for like 20-30 bucks more just so i don't have to wait.
Old 01-31-2008, 08:47 PM
MyGrabberOrangeGT
2nd Gear Member

Funny, mine got here in a few days and has been sitting in the box for 3 weeks now. I am still debating the driveshaft and the car is still hibernating till April anyways.
Old 01-31-2008, 08:59 PM
odiaz
4th Gear Member

I love the MGW shifter but the only word of caution I can contribute is to be carful with your shift boot. The stock shift boot is rather flimsy and you will wear several holes in it where the shift boot rubs against the metal block on the MGW. If you don't have a hole yet, you should pull the boot inside out and place some duct tape or other heavy tape on the spots that the MGW shifter rubs. this will make the shift boot last longer.

For me its too late. I'm getting a set of redline leather boots and I will be putting the tape on the inside of the shift boot to protect it.
Old 01-31-2008, 09:25 PM
mlcrycc
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: odiaz

I love the MGW shifter but the only word of caution I can contribute is to be carful with your shift boot. The stock shift boot is rather flimsy and you will wear several holes in it where the shift boot rubs against the metal block on the MGW. If you don't have a hole yet, you should pull the boot inside out and place some duct tape or other heavy tape on the spots that the MGW shifter rubs. this will make the shift boot last longer.

For me its too late. I'm getting a set of redline leather boots and I will be putting the tape on the inside of the shift boot to protect it.

Hmm...that's interesting. I've had my MGW for quite some time, and no unusual wear. However, shortly after installing the shifter, I flipped the metal block upside down, which put the protruding nuts toward the passenger side, and the smooth head of the machine screws toward the driver's side....No issues...

The other thing I discovered recently, with some advice from George, was that the shift boot is not symetrical. There is a proper front and back....I did not discover that until I switched shift *****, and had an issue with the boot stretching too much when going into second and fourth gear. Flipped the boot around, and problem solved.....

Mike
Old 01-31-2008, 09:30 PM
odiaz
4th Gear Member

Yes, I tried flipping the shift bloc around as george had suggested. It helped a little but it still wore out. I also noticed that the boot was not symmetrical when I first installed it.
Old 01-31-2008, 09:38 PM
mlcrycc
5th Gear Member

Huh.....odd....do you have the block straight up and down, or pivoted toward the center of the opening at all? Where is it wearing the worst??