Ticking noise... - Page 2 - MustangForums.com



2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.

Reply
 
 
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 01-31-2008, 06:46 PM   #11  
Stangula
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location:
Posts: 43
Default RE: Ticking noise...

could be any of the above things but imo i dont think its injectors cause they will do it at all times warm or not i think it is most likely valvetrain noise if you still have warranty take it to dealer they will replace for free and doesnt take long at all hydraulic lifters make noise when they leak because they arenot protecting the valve from botteming out so imo i think one of you lifters in leaking
Stangula is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2008, 12:12 PM   #12  
mAnYsTyLeS
4th Gear Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: NYC
Posts: 1,516
Default RE: Ticking noise...

"i think one of you lifters in leaking" huh? Where the h*ll is the hydraulic lifter???
mAnYsTyLeS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2008, 12:55 PM   #13  
d_ames117
2nd Gear Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Posts: 368
Default RE: Ticking noise...

If you remove the valve cover you'll see the camshaft and the hydraulic lifters (the lifters push on the valves to open them). Hydraulic lifters are used to help prevent noise as well as to increase the life of the lifter and cam. They are filled with oil which helps them keep in contact with the cam lobe at all times as it rotates. Therefore, hydraulic lifters are silent. However, if they are worn or defective or old, they can leak oil if they sit for a while (even new ones if they sit long enough). This makes the lifters soft, and they don't spring back quickly once the cam lobe pushes on them. This creates a gap and the next time the lobe comes around it smacks into the lifter creating noise. Once the oil is warm, oil pressure will refill the lifter with oil, removing the gap, and lessening the noise. Not an issue if it goes away relatively quickly. If it takes a long time for the lifter to pressurize and then looses pressure quickly, might be time to replace the defective ones.

In your case, I wouldn't worry about it. Just a combination of cold temps and the car sitting. It's normal.

Dustin
d_ames117 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2008, 12:49 PM   #14  
mAnYsTyLeS
4th Gear Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: NYC
Posts: 1,516
Default RE: Ticking noise...

Quote:
ORIGINAL: d_ames117

If you remove the valve cover you'll see the camshaft and the hydraulic lifters (the lifters push on the valves to open them). Hydraulic lifters are used to help prevent noise as well as to increase the life of the lifter and cam. They are filled with oil which helps them keep in contact with the cam lobe at all times as it rotates. Therefore, hydraulic lifters are silent. However, if they are worn or defective or old, they can leak oil if they sit for a while (even new ones if they sit long enough). This makes the lifters soft, and they don't spring back quickly once the cam lobe pushes on them. This creates a gap and the next time the lobe comes around it smacks into the lifter creating noise. Once the oil is warm, oil pressure will refill the lifter with oil, removing the gap, and lessening the noise. Not an issue if it goes away relatively quickly. If it takes a long time for the lifter to pressurize and then looses pressure quickly, might be time to replace the defective ones.

In your case, I wouldn't worry about it. Just a combination of cold temps and the car sitting. It's normal.

Dustin
Excellentexplanation...thanks! Also, just in case it matters...I hadSteeda powder coated valve covers installed the same time as my Steeda delete plates. The noise was coming from my car way before the valve cover and CMCV deletes were installed though so I'm guessing that's irrelevant.

So far I'm leaning towards the problem beingthe really cold temps and my car sitting for more than 6 or 7 days. What puzzles me though is that wouldn't both sides of the engine make that noise then? Instead of just the left side near the fuse box?
mAnYsTyLeS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2008, 01:52 PM   #15  
OhioState87
2nd Gear Member
 
OhioState87's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Ohio
Posts: 401
Default RE: Ticking noise...

Quote:
ORIGINAL: mAnYsTyLeS
Excellent explanation...thanks! Also, just in case it matters...I had Steeda powder coated valve covers installed the same time as my Steeda delete plates. The noise was coming from my car way before the valve cover and CMCV deletes were installed though so I'm guessing that's irrelevant.

So far I'm leaning towards the problem being the really cold temps and my car sitting for more than 6 or 7 days. What puzzles me though is that wouldn't both sides of the engine make that noise then? Instead of just the left side near the fuse box?
Is your noise the same that is talked about here and that I also have?

OhioState87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2008, 02:22 PM   #16  
GidyupGo
5th Gear Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: The High Country
Posts: 3,547
Default RE: Ticking noise...

Quote:
ORIGINAL: mAnYsTyLeS

Quote:
ORIGINAL: d_ames117

If you remove the valve cover you'll see the camshaft and the hydraulic lifters (the lifters push on the valves to open them). Hydraulic lifters are used to help prevent noise as well as to increase the life of the lifter and cam. They are filled with oil which helps them keep in contact with the cam lobe at all times as it rotates. Therefore, hydraulic lifters are silent. However, if they are worn or defective or old, they can leak oil if they sit for a while (even new ones if they sit long enough). This makes the lifters soft, and they don't spring back quickly once the cam lobe pushes on them. This creates a gap and the next time the lobe comes around it smacks into the lifter creating noise. Once the oil is warm, oil pressure will refill the lifter with oil, removing the gap, and lessening the noise. Not an issue if it goes away relatively quickly. If it takes a long time for the lifter to pressurize and then looses pressure quickly, might be time to replace the defective ones.

In your case, I wouldn't worry about it. Just a combination of cold temps and the car sitting. It's normal.

Dustin
Excellentexplanation...thanks! Also, just in case it matters...I hadSteeda powder coated valve covers installed the same time as my Steeda delete plates. The noise was coming from my car way before the valve cover and CMCV deletes were installed though so I'm guessing that's irrelevant.

So far I'm leaning towards the problem beingthe really cold temps and my car sitting for more than 6 or 7 days. What puzzles me though is that wouldn't both sides of the engine make that noise then? Instead of just the left side near the fuse box?












Yes. You may indeed have a collapsed lifter. If it is that, it will eat on a cam lobe which ain't good. Stethiscope time.
GidyupGo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2008, 04:10 PM   #17  
mAnYsTyLeS
4th Gear Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: NYC
Posts: 1,516
Default RE: Ticking noise...

Quote:
ORIGINAL: OhioState87

Quote:
ORIGINAL: mAnYsTyLeS
Excellent explanation...thanks! Also, just in case it matters...I had Steeda powder coated valve covers installed the same time as my Steeda delete plates. The noise was coming from my car way before the valve cover and CMCV deletes were installed though so I'm guessing that's irrelevant.

So far I'm leaning towards the problem being the really cold temps and my car sitting for more than 6 or 7 days. What puzzles me though is that wouldn't both sides of the engine make that noise then? Instead of just the left side near the fuse box?
Is your noise the same that is talked about here and that I also have?

No, but it's actually along the lines of what GidyupGo mentioned in that thread...

"I'm thinking PS pump or and probably the most likely, belts. They will make some weird noise. I had one once that made a sound like lifters. JUst a steady peck peck. Spray a little water on the belt when they are making the noise to see if it goes away or gets worse. Since it goes away when warm, I doubt it is fuel related. "

Can you guys just let me know how I can check this myself without bringing it somewhere. Also, take into account that I've never even changed my own oil. Thanks for your help!!

G
mAnYsTyLeS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2008, 04:35 PM   #18  
GidyupGo
5th Gear Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: The High Country
Posts: 3,547
Default RE: Ticking noise...

Another thing I have done to eliminate belt noise is shoot a little WD40 on the belts while running. Carefully listen for any change in noise. If there is....BINGO!
GidyupGo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2008, 08:27 AM   #19  
d_ames117
2nd Gear Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Posts: 368
Default RE: Ticking noise...

Brake cleaner also works for this purpose. Although usually the belt will squeek. If the belt is ticking you may want to have it replaced as I'm not sure what could cause that.

To figure out if it's a lifter (and which ones) you can use an automotive stethescope and place it on the valve cover. If you don't have a stethescope, you could use a length of 2x2 and hold it up to your ear.

Dustin
d_ames117 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2008, 02:20 PM   #20  
mAnYsTyLeS
4th Gear Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: NYC
Posts: 1,516
Default RE: Ticking noise...

Sweet...I'll let you know how it turns out. Thanks!
mAnYsTyLeS is offline   Reply With Quote
 
 
Reply

Related Topics
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
V6 Engine Ticking Nick Oliver V6 S197 General Discussion 4 04-27-2018 02:00 AM
Engine Knock 69Volunteer Classic Mustang General Discussion 1 09-30-2015 10:39 AM
2001 V6 Sixer4Life New Member Area 4 09-28-2015 07:05 AM
Ticking coming from 4.6L. What could it be? Shadow7874 2005-2014 Mustangs 4 09-24-2015 09:06 PM
03 V6 Mustang Ticking Noise Emblazoned General Tech 0 09-03-2015 10:45 PM


Tags
40l, 46, 50, ford, gt, gt500, injectors, lifter, makes, mustang, noise, noisy, peck, ticking, warmed

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off

Forum Jump

Advertising
Featured Sponsors
Vendor Directory

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 08:22 PM.


We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.