Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2nd to 3rd Gear Grind Buzz, 3x Today WTF?!

Search this Thread

Old 02-01-2008, 10:08 AM
FenderParrothead
2nd Gear Member

Default RE: 2nd to 3rd Gear Grind Buzz, 3x Today WTF?!

Just playing Devil's Advocate, but I would hope that changing tranny fluid would not result in a dealership trying to say I was "tampering" with my transmission, and then try to refuse can potential warranty claim that I may have.

I've changed my oil - it's a fully synthetic brand of my choosing. If I blow a rod in the engine tomorrow, will they say I was tampering with my engine? I understand changing oil and changing transmission fluid are looked upon differently, but that's only because more people change their own oil, than change their transmission fluid.
Old 02-01-2008, 04:30 PM
rap87
1st Gear Member

Didn't do it on the way home from work today, but just food for thought, although since you guys are confirming this problem...maybe this isn't possible. I shift like this link below

http://www.shortshifter.com/techniques2.htm

Is it possible to push to far to the right when shifting into third, thereby not being 100% lined up in the slot..instead more scraping to the right, thereby causing that sound, even if the clutch is all the way in? I tried doing the same motion on the way home today, but going more forward instead of right...didn't hear it...but didn't have a chance to drive to far...Its just weird to have driven 3k miles in all types of weather/ hot/cold and only having it do that to me yesterday and that many times....

And anyone that has had this problem...did you take it to the dealer...? What did they say? Also anyone got an idea on just how bad this is for the tranny when it does it?
Old 02-01-2008, 04:38 PM
jahudso2
4th Gear Member

I was planning to take mine to the dealer to get it looked at, but I was already waiting on them to order a new bumper for my car. However, I have not heard the noise since I forced the shifter into third gear that one time, and it has been pretty cold here lately. I have no explanation for why it does not make the noise anymore, but I will let you know if it happens again.
Old 02-02-2008, 04:43 PM
Gene K
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: jahudso2

The only bad thing about changing your tranny fluid is that if there is some sort of mechanical failure associated with this buzzing noise, they can try to put the blame on you for "tampering" with your transmission. As long as your warranty is still in tact, I would just try ramming it hard into third one time while your car is cold and you know its going to make the noise, or take it in and have them look at it. You are asking for trouble if you try to fix it yourself when its under warranty, but that is just my opinion.

The cold third gear grind is normal for this tranny. The way to avoid it is to pretend your double clutching.
Go to neutral, pause whil the rpm drops, and place in third. Resume shifting normally once the trans is up to temperature.

Tremec recommends Conventional Mercon/DexronIII only. Synthetic Fluids supposedly cause damage to the Syncro/Blocker Rings.
This is now known as MD-3 since the expired Mercon and Dexron III licensing agreements are not being renewed.

Ford actually removed the Mobil manufactured synthetic from the early TR3650's and replaced with conventional under a TSB.
They warned not to use Ford MerconV (which is synthetic) or any dual-rated Mercon/MerconV-DexronIII/DexronVI rated Fluids.
Since 2/07 they have allowed Dual-Rated Mercon/MerconV as an approved replacement since Mercon is now out of production.

Tremec still recommends Conventional MD-3 Only. They specifically recommend ChevronTexaco Havoline MD-3.

Old 02-02-2008, 05:58 PM
jahudso2
4th Gear Member

Do you think I f***ed something up by shifting hard into third, b/c the noise hasnt come back?
Old 02-02-2008, 06:15 PM
08GTRagtop

Gene K - Sounds like it would be a wasted trip to the dealer? I dont really want to remove the Hurst i installed in the 30 degree weather i have here just to have the dealer not do anything. If it wont get any worse, then i'm fine to double clutch into 3rd for the 1st 10 mins. I only hasve 500 miles on the car and it did this pretty much from new.
Old 02-02-2008, 06:40 PM
Gene K
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: 08GTRagtop

Gene K - Sounds like it would be a wasted trip to the dealer? I dont really want to remove the Hurst i installed in the 30 degree weather i have here just to have the dealer not do anything. If it wont get any worse, then i'm fine to double clutch into 3rd for the 1st 10 mins. I only hasve 500 miles on the car and it did this pretty much from new.
Well Im not saying they should do it. But its very common with this trans. Mine does it. As long as it goes away at normal temps I personally would not worry about it. You dont actually have to double clutch. You can leave the clutch in just give it that second for the rpm to drop. Kind of click-pause-click instead of click-click. I think the syncros are just a little slow and balky when the fluid is cold. Of course if you see signs of it getting worse then it would need to be taken to the dealer. I would try to avoid forcing it to go against the grind as this could damage a gear. That said everyone scrapes a gear on occation and we usually get away with it.

The TR3650 is a pretty strong trans but despite a complete revision of the lower gears, syncros, and shift forks in 2002 they are still not as sweet as the old T5. Thankfully they dont break near as often either.
Old 02-02-2008, 06:45 PM
08GTRagtop

Thanks Gene. I'll watch it for now and see what happens when the weather warms up. I can now spend more time on the fun stuff. Exhaust, wheels, CAI.
Old 02-02-2008, 08:17 PM
acmike
1st Gear Member

ORIGINAL: Gene K

ORIGINAL: jahudso2

The only bad thing about changing your tranny fluid is that if there is some sort of mechanical failure associated with this buzzing noise, they can try to put the blame on you for "tampering" with your transmission. As long as your warranty is still in tact, I would just try ramming it hard into third one time while your car is cold and you know its going to make the noise, or take it in and have them look at it. You are asking for trouble if you try to fix it yourself when its under warranty, but that is just my opinion.

The cold third gear grind is normal for this tranny. The way to avoid it is to pretend your double clutching.
Go to neutral, pause whil the rpm drops, and place in third. Resume shifting normally once the trans is up to temperature.

Tremec recommends Conventional Mercon/DexronIII only. Synthetic Fluids supposedly cause damage to the Syncro/Blocker Rings.
This is now known as MD-3 since the expired Mercon and Dexron III licensing agreements are not being renewed.

Ford actually removed the Mobil manufactured synthetic from the early TR3650's and replaced with conventional under a TSB.
They warned not to use Ford MerconV (which is synthetic) or any dual-rated Mercon/MerconV-DexronIII/DexronVI rated Fluids.
Since 2/07 they have allowed Dual-Rated Mercon/MerconV as an approved replacement since Mercon is now out of production.

Tremec still recommends Conventional MD-3 Only. They specifically recommend ChevronTexaco Havoline MD-3.

My '08 owners manual specs MerconV.
Old 10-06-2008, 09:26 PM
Sp3kter
1st Gear Member

I have a new 08 with 1200 miles and it dose the same thig if the car has been sitting outside for a log time 12+ houers or if it is very cold outside. Just shift it slow into third untill it worms up. I brought my car to the dealer and by the time i got there the car/tranny was fully warmed up and when the tech took a ride with me it would not grind.

Quick Reply: 2nd to 3rd Gear Grind Buzz, 3x Today WTF?!