Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

21 to 22.5 mpg, at 72 to 80 mph

Search this Thread

Old 03-28-2005, 03:08 AM
Higgie
3rd Gear Member

Default 21 to 22.5 mpg, at 72 to 80 mph

I have been driving my 05 GT stick, alot this weekend. A total of 1300 miles after today. I was very happy with the ride quality, and the fuel milage at speed. 21 to 22.5 mpg, at 72 to 80 mph. Got her up to 110 mph, twice. 3000 miles on her now.

This car is great on the highway !! Provided, you only have two people riding.
Old 03-28-2005, 03:31 AM
algregory
3rd Gear Member

Default RE: 21 to 22.5 mpg, at 72 to 80 mph

On the way to Hwy 46 from Salinas, California on Hwy 101 with the cruse control set for awhile at 72MPH and another while at 75MPH, on board computer was saying I was getting just shy of 26MPG!
Old 03-28-2005, 05:25 PM
Refonbass
1st Gear Member

with mostly city driving the computer says I'm getting about 14mpg lol not very good, thats for sure
Old 03-28-2005, 07:25 PM
graphicguy
2nd Gear Member

Only one tankful so far (the virgin tank of gas for my GT), but the computer says I'm getting 18MPG in all city driving. I'm pleased. While I don't expect sterling MPG numbers, I was a little surprised given the car isn't broken in yet. I suspect I'll get in the low 20s with some highway miles thrown in and hope to get mid 20s highway when it gets broken in....all on regular gas.....and unleashing a 300 HP V8, to boot.
Old 03-28-2005, 09:43 PM
PullMeOverRed05
3rd Gear Member

Graphicguy,

Where the hell do you love that you got your car so fast?.. Not only the delivery but the order to delivery as well...
Old 03-29-2005, 01:32 AM
algregory
3rd Gear Member

The trip to Hwy 46 had to be on the scale of 100+ miles. The road is not hilly, pretty level for the most part.

Second, have you all been paying attention to the "Gallons Used" in the Info Center? I've been making sure I "Reset" that item every time I fill up. I am finding that when I refill the tank at the next stop that gallons pumped in are really, really close to the "Gallons Used" number. Last fill up, Gallons Used said "12.4" and, believe it or not, I put in 12.36 gallons, and I kept trying to get it really topped off (with out over flow).

I have been hitting "reset" on the MPG feature when I'm doing different types of driving. I hit it one day on a strech from Los Gatos, CA to Hwy 280 intersect in San Jose, not sure of the miles. Freeway, traffic moving, about 70MPH, 5th gear, no little "fun" blips or anything. I swear, when I hit the intersection of 280, MPG said "29.9"! I do feel that this strech of highway does have a little downhill going for it, but, not enough that any coasting is going to happen on a bicycle or anything.
[quote]ORIGINAL: algregory

On the way to Hwy 46 from Salinas, California on Hwy 101 with the cruse control set for awhile at 72MPH and another while at 75MPH, on board computer was saying I was getting just shy of 26MPG!

Gregory
Old 03-29-2005, 11:33 AM
graphicguy
2nd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: PullMeOverRed05

Graphicguy,

Where the hell do you love that you got your car so fast?.. Not only the delivery but the order to delivery as well...
Well, I think I am extremely lucky (as well as having knowledge of the ordering system due to all the info I got from here). I live outside of Cincinnati (about a 5 hour drive from the Flat Rock Mustang plant).

After shopping around and getting the "we don't discount the Mustangs" routine, I went to the nearest dealer during a snow storm (which was in the middle of one of the worst winters in recent memory, around here). Not a customer in sight at the dealership (they were actually talking about closing early that night since it was snowing so hard). This was at the beginning of Feb.

They had a silver GT with IUP and ICAP in stock all covered in snow. It was hard to tell if I liked it or not since it would have taken the sales person 20 minutes just to clear it off. Definitely not a good night for a test drive. The sales person did let me sit in it to see if I liked the red interior (which I did). Still wasn't sure about the color. I knew for sure I liked the redfire from the brochure pics. Finally, I asked them if they'd order one for me. Of course they said, "sure"!

Then I told them I had an "X plan" pin. They hesitated a bit, but we were by now sitting in the Manager's office. I pulled out 5-new $100 bills and said I'd leave that with them if they did X plan and ordered it with one of their special "higher than 10" priority numbers. They agreed and assigned my order a "2" priority number on the Vehicle Order Confirmation sheet. I made the deal contingent upon them having at least Feb or March allotment left. They assured me they did.

Nothing much happened until the sales manager called about a month later and told me of my order being pulled for prodution. I told him to call me when he had the VIN#. He did exactly that on 3/18 and also told me mine was scheduled to be built. The day it was built (3/24), the sales manager (who was also the fleet sales person) called and told me that they had a carrier sitting in Flat Rock with one more slot available on the truck. He went on to say that if I was willing to close the deal for month end business, he'd do everything he could to make sure my Mustang got onto the truck carrier. I told him I would.

Next morning, the sales manager called me and said "guess what just showed up this morning?" I told him I'd pick it up after I went to my credit union to get a check. Apparently, the trucker loaded my car straight out of the plant onto the carrier and actually arrived at the dealership with my car the same night. Dealership was closed at the time, but he was sitting in the parking lot with a bunch of cars for delivery at all the local dealers. My dealer happened to be his first stop.

So, I took delivery within 24 hours of my car rolling off the assembly line...7 weeks (less one day) after I originally placed the order. My name was even on the MSRP sticker. Plus, the F&I guy was able to beat my credit union's rate by a 1/4 point, so I financed through the dealership, too. Since there was a price increase announced during my wait time, I knew I was price protected with my order. The dealership's pre-printed paperwork also showed a $100 doc fee which they charge for every car sold. Knowing that X planned cars don't allow doc fees, they had to remove it.

Bottom line, my car ended up being less than invoice (considering the price increase), no silly fees, and the dealer got me a better finance rate, to boot.

Apparently, all the Shaker, gas tank issues were corrected as a running manufacturing change. Mine doesn't have any of those issues.

Lessons learned ordering this Mustang...
--don't settle for one car if you really want something else (wanted redfire, not silver)
--knowledge is power (and will save money)
--use what you learn here to cover your bases (demand high priority numbers, check dealer allocation before ordering)
--shop at a dealer when it's nasty outside and the prospect of them selling a car is the worst (pick a bad weather day/night to shop)
--make certain to spell out the details of the deal so both the dealer and the customer know what to expect
--be willing to move quickly and be flexible

All-in-all, a great experience.
Old 03-29-2005, 04:35 PM
Higgie
3rd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: Higgie

I have been driving my 05 GT stick, alot this weekend. A total of 1300 miles after today. I was very happy with the ride quality, and the fuel milage at speed. 21 to 22.5 mpg, at 72 to 80 mph. Got her up to 110 mph, twice. 3000 miles on her now.

This car is great on the highway !! Provided, you only have two people riding.

I don't have the computer. I have been filling her up, and logging all the data. I was getting 15mpg around town, and have been doing the 22+ mpg on the Interstate. With 3500 miles on her, I got into it a bit last night. I got to tell ya, making the tires squeel when rolling around 15 mph, just by hitting the gas pedal, was cool.

Only saw about 7 05's on the interstate during the 1400 mile trip.
Old 03-29-2005, 07:21 PM
1fast05GT
3rd Gear Member

Mine averages 18 - 19 MPG (at least that's what the computer registers) mostly city driving and I don't baby it.